Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When "going green" goes too far

When "going green" goes too far

Warning: this thread is primarily a rant

Anyone else irked by the new "green" methods of packaging CD's that do away with the traditional jewel case arrangement? It all seems to have started with cardboard exterior packaging that retained the plastic jewel assembly inside; I was fine with that.

Now, though, some of the newer containers are coming out as completely cardboard packaging, with sleeves that hold the disc in the package. They require you to grasp the disc on the actual playing surface to get it out, and furthermore, the disc's playing surface gets rubbed against the stiff cardboard in the process. To add insult to injury, some aren't even coming with liner notes anymore.

Case in point, I purchased Patsy Cline's Definitive Collection disc the other day, and it came with nothing. I practically destroyed the cardboard looking for the damn liner notes (which I assumed I was just too stupid to find) only to read in fine print that they were available online. Now this wasn't some bargain bin $5 Greatest Hits CD with 10 tracks - it's the Definitive collection and had the price tag to go with it. So, while I'm all for saving the planet, can't you print the liner notes on the same paper-recyclable, biodegradable material you used for the disc's container?

Now, I've personally debunked the mythical promise of perfect sound forever with several discs I failed to handle with care, and admittedly that was my fault. But the new packaging is now forcing me to handle discs in a way that is completely contradictory to the advice we were all given when CD's first arrived on the scene. Anyone else remember the care instructions from earlier discs? To quote: For best results, you should apply the same care in storing and handling the Compact Disc as you would with conventional records. No cleaning is necessary if the Compact Disc is always held by its edges and is replaced in its case directly after playing. Well, now how in the hell do you expect me to do that when I have to wrestle with the damn thing just to get it out of the case? And I can't help but think that repeatedly pushing and pulling a disc against a piece of cardboard ain't gonna do wonders for its longevity.

This is exactly the kind of eco-mania that has me saying screw the planet, save yourself. Well, not really, I'm completely onboard with "going green" but there has to be a better approach here. Maybe retain the plastic insert and make it out of 100% post-consumer recycled materials? Personally, I think the new style of packaging and omission of liner notes are just ways to cheapen the manufacturing process under the guise of being environmentally responsible . And yet record companies wonder why CD sales continue to plummet???

Obsolete
    All this should be downloadable. It's just data. CD's gotta go.

Totally agreed! And, honestly, what you're suggesting is truly the eco-friendly solution.

If I could obtain CD-quality (minimally) audio that could be downloaded to suitable storage hardware, and interface with my stereo (for audio) and my TV (for liner notes, etc.) than I would totally be onboard. Alas, we're not quite there yet in terms of quality, though the delivery methods are being introduced; for example, Xbox allows you to wirelessly access your music library on any networked Windows-based (of course) computer, and stream it through whatever audio system the console is hooked up to.

But, until it's perfected and I can get the audio quality I desire, I still want my damn liner notes and packaging that's not going to shorten the lifespan of my discs - even if they will likely be obsolete in 10 years

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    All this should be downloadable. It's just data. CD's gotta go.

I turned on every light I owned for Earth Hour.........................

There are many ways to save the planet but no one seems interested at all........

We just did a major home renovation........

Quote Originally Posted by mikebake View Post
    where there were a total of 13 in ceiling lights in our house, we now have 60. I can read the fine print from any corner of any room.

Quote Originally Posted by Allanvh5150 View Post
    There are many ways to save the planet but no one seems interested at all........
    Maybe they don't think it needs "saved".

Maybe they don't think it needs "saved".

People could be honest and say it's themselves they're out to save, not "the planet". But that smacks too much of self interest for social liberals (as opposed to economic liberals like me who are after the money and make no bones about it) and wouldn't sound virtuous and high falutin'.

I love you, man.

I have carbon footprint envy

Quote Originally Posted by JBLRaiser View Post
    where there were a total of 13 in ceiling lights in our house, we now have 60. I can read the fine print from any corner of any room.

Quote Originally Posted by JBLRaiser View Post
    I think collectively we are responsible at least in part for Global Climate change... might be a small part might be a bit more... I care. But I am also able to think for myself and make my own decisions.

Economically and environmentally (the new mercury free versions) it makes sense to buy those freakin energy saving compact fluorescent lamps... I hate 'em... I use halogen where ever possible, I prefer the light quality and I am willing to pay for more energy and buy the more costly bulbs. I don't need to leave the lights on to make a statement.

As for "green" packaging... I do prefer plastic jewel boxes... I buy the empty ones and put the greenies in them... I get to spend more money (helping the economy) and use more oil... see this is one liberal tree hugger who is just like you guys... I bet you never would have guessed.

Widget

If by tree hugger you mean........

all those speaker boxes in your avatar.....I'm with you, man.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I think collectively we are responsible at least in part for Global Climate change... might be a small part might be a bit more... I care. But I am also able to think for myself and make my own decisions.

Economically and environmentally (the new mercury free versions) it makes sense to buy those freakin energy saving compact fluorescent lamps... I hate 'em... I use halogen where ever possible, I prefer the light quality and I am willing to pay for more energy and buy the more costly bulbs. I don't need to leave the lights on to make a statement.

As for "green" packaging... I do prefer plastic jewel boxes... I buy the empty ones and put the greenies in them... I get to spend more money (helping the economy) and use more oil... see this is one liberal tree hugger who is just like you guys... I bet you never would have guessed.

Widget
    Well then how do you feel when they won't let you buy anything but flourescent?

Well then how do you feel when they won't let you buy anything but flourescent?
    Gee going for the W gut punch, are you??
    he signed that dumb thing into law ...

And really, what IS the whole point of this troll-fest pile on...??
    Just to show who's got the biggest ...

carbon "footprint" ...

Sheesh - back to CD packaging with the lot of you!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Truth be told, I just wanted my damn liner notes and a decent CD package

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    And really, what's the whole point of this troll-fest ...
    to show whose got the biggest ...

carbon "footprint" ...

Thread Information