Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When "going green" goes too far

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBrewster77 View Post
    Truth be told, I just wanted my damn liner notes and a decent CD package
    Agreed - I got some of those dumb slide-in CD packages from Tony Levin, Fripp and the whole DGM music folks - i HATE those stupid packages!
    And the Digpaks aren't any better - just the plastic insert glued to a cardboard wrapper
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Gee going for the W gut punch, are you??
    he signed that dumb thing into law ...
    Which was one of the things that made me turn on him.

And really, what IS the whole point of this troll-fest pile on...??
    Just to show who's got the biggest ...

carbon "footprint" ...
    No, it's to show how stupid some of this green stuff is.

Quote Originally Posted by mikebake View Post
    Well then how do you feel when they won't let you buy anything but flourescent?
    I've given it some thought... two things will happen. First of all the new LED technology will improve so that color balance isn't an issue and then there is the NOS market... you can still buy NOS vacuum tubes that were made 50 years ago. I imagine I'll be able to buy replacement bulbs for the rest of my life...

Widget

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"

If I could obtain CD-quality (minimally) audio that could be downloaded to suitable storage hardware, and interface with my stereo (for audio) and my TV (for liner notes, etc.) than I would totally be onboard. Alas, we're not quite there yet in terms of quality, though the delivery methods are being introduced; for example, Xbox allows you to wirelessly access your music library on any networked Windows-based (of course) computer, and stream it through whatever audio system the console is hooked up to.

you just need to change your music tastes...

you can download WAV and OGG Vorbis files (and other 'loss-less' types) from many of the electronic dance music artists at sites like beatport, stompy, traxsource, and a host of others...

as far as having a storage place, terrabyte sized drives are quite inexpensive now....

then all you need it the interface... which can be had as cheaply (or expensive) as one desires, based generally upon user requirements...

Truth be told, I just wanted my damn liner notes and a decent CD package
    A friend was teaching a design course at Carnegie Mellon last year and he asked his students how many had actually purchased music in any form during the previous year... they all looked at him as though he was nuts. None of them had.

...and you're worried about liner notes?

Widget

As you go from a physical CD to a download, there is still a carbon footprint with energy consumption by servers etc.
    Google the article on how much energy Google uses.

Quote Originally Posted by louped garouv View Post

as far as having a storage place, terrabyte sized drives are quite inexpensive now....

then all you need it the interface... which can be had as cheaply (or expensive) as one desires, based generally upon user requirements...
    yep, I just got a terrabyte Seagate barracuda for under $120 delivered ...

I've been using these external cases for data storage - hold 2 drives each -
    The older ones (on the right) are Parallel ATA and connect through Firewire 800.
    The new one (on the left) has Serial ATA drives and connects via USB interface.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"

I've been using these external cases for data storage - hold 2 drives each -

probably a topic for another thread; but...

how redundant is your storage system?

i've had a few friends recently whose drives have 'bitten the dust'
    luckily for them, their e-retailer of choice (beatport) will restore the
    catalogue you've already purchased, free of charge...

had this not been the case, i could have seen them really really upset...

you just need to change your music tastes....
    Au contraire . I actually do listen to quite a bit of dance music. Ironically, though, it's the only genre I very rarely listen to "critically" so for me, quality is less of a concern than other types of music. Also, I find that even uncompressed files or CD's in the dance music genre as a whole are not produced to my liking (likely because they're mastered for venues that are not reflective of my home or equipment.)

While I'm not "there" yet because of the overall lack of suitable media, it might be time to start preparing for the future. Do you have a set up like this?

Best,
    - Mike

Yup - but then again I actually buy music, unlike your friend's students who likely borrow, steal, stream, and/or pirate what they listen to. Hell, if I shoplifted the album, trust me, I wouldn't be complaining about the lack of liner notes.

Your anecdote is a pretty telling commentary on what the future of the music industry looks like, though...

Best,
    - Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    A friend was teaching a design course at Carnegie Mellon last year and he asked his students how many had actually purchased music in any form during the previous year... they all looked at him as though he was nuts. None of them had.

...and you're worried about liner notes?

Widget

probably a topic for another thread; but...

how redundant is your storage system?

i've had a few friends recently whose drives have 'bitten the dust'
    luckily for them, their e-retailer of choice (beatport) will restore the
    catalogue you've already purchased, free of charge...

had this not been the case, i could have seen them really really upset...
    The case on the right is redundant redundant.
    Its powered down when I'm not doing manual backups.
    Its got a pair of 500 GB Seagates - music is stored in FLAC mode there -
    Once a month I power it up and dupe my current iTunes library into one of the drives in there

For daily listening I keep a 320 kbps mp3s "rips" on a Seagate 600GB in the center case -
    its got roughly 26,000 "songs".
    (I still have the CDs for most of that for critical listening ... ).

The left case has a 750GB Seagate barracuda SATA drive - its only used for backup purposes -
    it keep hourly incremental backups of my system via mac's TimeMachine utility.
    I'll be adding the new 1000GB SATA drive in that case next weekend.

The brains is a new Intel mac mini (just sold my old G4 tower)

Got an AppleTV downstairs with the 4341s - so I can call up any song or playlist remotely (802.11n wireless in the house) from there.

Again, for dedicated, attentive listening I usually play the CD directly downstairs - but its great to have all of this available as a housewide "jukebox/home radio system.

Oh - and to bring this back to "GREEN" - the macmini is a very low current computer system, its basically a notebook with a little wallwart, the 20 inch widescreen flat panel monitor (a DELL, because Apple charge way to much for the same Samsung display in an Apple Monitor cabinet) - and the Airport wireless router in the windowsill is also a wallwart driven device.

we won't talk about the Realistic SA-10 Amp and Minimus speakers on the shelf -
    but - they sound way better than the usual ALTEC computer speakers!
    (and the price was right - free)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Very cool. Looks like a good way to go.

Thread Information