Thread: JBL L100T Tweeter brightness help

JBL L100T Tweeter brightness help

Hello! I'm new to the forum and my knowledge of the complexities of speakers is very limited. So my question is for the professionals of this forum.
    I have a pair of JBL L100T's and the 035ti tweeters are too bright for my taste even with the treble turned all the way down on my carver C-1 pre amp. What can I do to tone them down? Add an equalizer? Change something in the crossovers? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,Will.

Turnover frequency (affected "Treble" range) for the C-1 might be too high
    (8KHz?) to offset what you're hearing. I'll make a humble suggestion:
    Sell them and move on to something you like rather than trying to 'fix' them.

It would be very easy to buy more external gear ($$$) trying to fix a design that
    doesn't suit your needs. Alternatively, you could affect the entire range of the
    tweeter by installing an attenuator/L-pad, but now you're into opening up
    and modifying them along an uncertain path.

Describing what you're willing to do to keep the L100T's might net you
    a different set of responses/suggestions. Quite a welcome, eh?

Purchase a pair of L100t3 crossovers, there is a pair on ebay this minute.

How about the freebie/low-tech trick engineers often used with the Yamaha NS-10s...masking tape and a square of toilet paper. Tape & drape the TP over the tweeter, replace your grille cloth, and see if you have the improvement you're looking for.

Is the room they're in partly to blame?

Otherwise, an EQ should be able to help you, but I don't know your pre to tell you how well that will work (is there a processor loop or tape monitor loop?).

je

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Sanford View Post
    How about the freebie/low-tech trick engineers often used with the Yamaha NS-10s...masking tape and a square of toilet paper. Tape & drape the TP over the tweeter, replace your grille cloth, and see if you have the improvement you're looking for.
    je
    I think you are on to something there Fred,, I had some Altec 887A Capri's that had cloth between hf grill & driver ,,,,my Altec friend said it was a factory job, they are all that way....said tweet is too hot otherwise
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Rather than buy new speakers just change the resistance in the high pass for the crossover. try 3 ohms for the series resistance and 12 or 15 ohms for the parallel resistor.
    Why buy used when you can build your own?

My problem with these exactly! I could not listen to them for any length of time without my ears bleeding.Thanks to Duanage, I have the equivalent of the t3 x-over in my L100T's. It is a big improvement. However, the bigger improvement happened when I changed rooms again. I've now gotten them away from the hardwood floors/leather furniture and back into the den with carpet and softer surfaces.

So many times the room is overlooked as the source for problems. I heard a high end system of mono block tubes, Martin Logans, esoteric cd player, the works in a room with tile floors, high ceilings, and lots of exposed glass. Sounded like singing in the shower, there were noticeable echos and no bass at all except in the corners.

I'm a bit of a slow learner, but I finally figured the room thing out. But, your crossover mods really smoothed out the mids/upper range. It seemed to bring out the bass as well. They are very listenable now. I finally get to use my 4412's today, as I've had the woofer re-coned, so I'll get around to re-veneering the cabs on the L100T's-I think I'll keep them.

I'm glad the rework came out the way it did. If anyone wants a set of crossovers for the L100T reworked to L100T3 send me a PM.

Thread Information