Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Childproofing speakers

Just set them down and talk to them. I have had speakers all over the house, my kids never damaged any of them. They had a basement system that was "theirs" to play with as well as boom boxes in their rooms.

I had more problems from one of my dogs than my kids.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Kids

Any long suffering parent knows the real secret. Food, shelter and clothing are required... quality and quantity are negotiated.

Cyclotronguy

Electro shock'm

It is easier to speakerproof your child than to childproof your speekers.

If all else fails, install an electric shock fense around the speakers. One or two good jolts of 120V and they should stay clear of them for the remainder of their adolesent years.

Quote Originally Posted by bigyank View Post
    Gee I wonder who you are talking about!

Actually 2 midranges and an irreplaceable tweeter (Allison).
    I told you how I would have handled it. Hold court and the first cat that makes a move for the door gets dunked in the toilet.
    Why buy used when you can build your own?

....Here we go Agin!....

....I love this site!! For the gentlemen that suggested sitting down and talking....boy I'm glad it works for you. There are so many independent factors that will influence a child's respect/ adherence/ acknowledgment of a guardians directive....even at very early ages. How can I explain about a first grader...when I first started student teaching Ex Ed..that was already suspended a few times for various infractions? And the rich suburbia student I overhear talking to a friend about ....screw Mom...I do what I please when they're not around....10 years old! ....???
    The system that worked for me (not regarding my personal stuff) was....good things happen to good boys....bad things happen to bad boys. Like the other reply....we can go to Donuts For Kids.... or I can burn some grilled processed cheese for ya'!

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Just set them down and talk to them. I have had speakers all over the house, my kids never damaged any of them. They had a basement system that was "theirs" to play with as well as boom boxes in their rooms.

I had more problems from one of my dogs than my kids.

Rob
    I'm with Rob, my kids (3&5) never even thought about touching them, they knew they were daddy's "speakes" & it was never an issue. When our neighbor's kid's came over once, they were all over the place, touching everything. of course the "boy" went up to the pre amp and started touching everything including the volume, I got to him just in time & put an end to his reign of terror. This scene has to be taken in perspective though, while the boy was going around dumping things out of bins and generally wreakin havoc, the parents did not do anything, they threatened him a couple of times but the kid knew they were idle threats and reacted accordingly. Needless to say they only come over when there are outside activities or we go to their house To this day that kid has no boundaries and I fear his parents are in for some real treats in the future (they are already getting a taste of it now).

Some kids are more mischevous/adventurous than others & thats perfectly natural & should not discouraged in the proper context, but ultimately IMO it all comes back to the parents (for better or worse).

Like Rob, our pet cat (my wife's Cat, that I unwittingly got for her) was much more of a problem than the kids ever were. Lucky it did not get de-clawed, little bastart
    Just Play Music.

You're laughing and I'm scared.

Okay, ten months and counting. It's a girl, by the way. She stands by the paragon horn and dances while holding the support piece. Life is good. To refine my question. If I buy the round metal grills used for auto subwoofers I can drill them to match the 12,15 and 18 inch hole spacing on the JBL woofers. What I need is a metal tube about 1/2 to 3/8th inch long with ID that will pass a 10/32 screw and OD that matches the fillister head screws we use on the woofers. The tubing will hold the grills just above the foam or cork surrounds or just snug to them and will press to the speaker basket the way the fillister heads do. No long term alteration to the speakers like adding the pro clamps to the outside to hold the grills on. Okay who knows the machinist who can make these?

What I need is a metal tube about 1/2 to 3/8th inch long with ID that will pass a 10/32 screw and OD that matches the fillister head screws we use on the woofers. Okay who knows the machinist who can make these?
    Actually it's even easier than that, I would bet if you looked around you could find "stand-off's" in the dimensions you're after. If not you can buy extruded aluminum tubing of almost any dimension. The smallest I have on the rack is 0.250" I.D. 0.375" O.D., sorry. If it's a size we don't use much of we usually buy a few feet from McMasterCarr. Cutting to length on a lathe is the nicest however you can cut it with anything that cuts wood.

I've been lucky, I have had speakers with no grill covers for 20 years of children and the problem has always been visiting children, a dust cap on a 2225.. The only real damage to date was from some combination of too much fun on the part of my 11 year old boy (the youngest) and our 105 pound dog. Whats a 2123 kit and an hour of my time to recone it? I didn't even get mad.

I would suggest rubber washers (found at Lowes) as you will not get any rattling from the metal grills. Just use as many as needed to get the required distance. I also used them on the metal horn mounting on My A7's and they really deaden the vibrations.

She could crawl into the horn.

Quote Originally Posted by johnhb View Post
    Okay, ten months and counting. It's a girl, by the way. She stands by the paragon horn and dances while holding the support piece. Life is good. To refine my question. If I buy the round metal grills used for auto subwoofers I can drill them to match the 12,15 and 18 inch hole spacing on the JBL woofers. What I need is a metal tube about 1/2 to 3/8th inch long with ID that will pass a 10/32 screw and OD that matches the fillister head screws we use on the woofers. The tubing will hold the grills just above the foam or cork surrounds or just snug to them and will press to the speaker basket the way the fillister heads do. No long term alteration to the speakers like adding the pro clamps to the outside to hold the grills on. Okay who knows the machinist who can make these?
    When I first finished my C40 cabinets I only had grill cloth over the D140F, the bottom part where the horn is was open. One day we couldn't find our 14 month old daughter, she had crawled into the horn and upon standing up in the horn only her legs from the knees down were visible. She heard us calling but she was playing hide and seek.
    Cloth grill cloth will do the job, just enough to keep fingers away.

the kids were never the problem

it was our older dog....Lance

As he nibbled off the foam around the 2213H driver on my 4312, 's. Thank goodness he didn't nibble the surrounds!

Great dog, long since though gone to doggy heaven; I just remember being shocked.
    Integra DHC80.1,3x 4636LF, 2360-2446J 2404H,12 x 8340 Surrounds, 2 x4645B, BGW 250D's,250E's,& 750B's 16 amps...7600 watts

i dont have skids yet, but my pup thought the sound and the movement was fascinating on the 2225H's and when i was out decided it was fun to take the dustcap off one of them, lucky it was only that lol! but one thing i do regret doing was holding one of my LE5-2's almost lost balance, fell outta my hand and landed on my 123a-1 wasnt happy... shoulda had the driver facing the other way to prevent that kinda stupidity, ah the things you do when your young lol

Childproofing Speakers

Has worked so far.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Wornears View Post
    Has worked so far.
    I like it!

Yank
    Basement: JBL SVA-1800 and 2226H DIY Enclosures Computer room: Control-5:Control SB-2 Living room: JBL 240ti

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by Wornears View Post
    Has worked so far.

Yeah that will keep the nippers fingers off items that they have been told time and time again! Do not touch my JBL or else!

Thread Information