Thread: C35 Question

C35 Question

Hi all..I'm a new member and I have a question on what I believe are C35 speakers (23 3/4" W x 38 1/2" H x 16" D).
    A friend mentioned that his neighbor had a tube amplifier for sale so I went out to buy it. I asked her if she had anything else and she showed me the speaker that I've added photos of. These belonged to her father and there is a matching one (except a little lighter in color) at her mothers house. Her son brought this home years ago to use but never used it.
    I removed the back and found one D130 driver in it.
    Acording to her (and her son who she called) the other one has a horn above the D130 and crossover in it as well. The back wasn't screwed on the other cabinet and he liked the finish on this one abit better so he took it home and left the other. There is also suppost to be a box with extra parts for these so I'm hoping there is a crossover and horn for this one. They were really cheap so I bought this one and the other unseen.
    My questions are:
    1. Is there a way to date these from the cabinet or D130? Both the cabinet and the speaker have a "Jim Lansing" decal on them.

2. I now listen to 1970's vintage Klipsch Heresey's driven by 2 Heathkit W5M amplifiers. I occasionally also use my Marantz 8B but limit its use as it is original and hasn't been recapped. How do these compare soundwise to the Klipsch heritage line?

3.Is this system as efficient as my Klipsch speakers?

4.Are there any important things that need to be done or checked before these are put into everyday use?

Thanks for any input. They seem very well built and the early look can't be beat
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Looks like a 1950s D130 from the picture.

The D130 has a rating of 101db with one watt at 1m. This will play as loud as your K's.
    Keep an eye on eBay the horns and drivers come up for sale from time to time. John

The early "Kliphorns" were good but these in fully restored condition are much better IMO.

JBL Dog
    If I were to guess when they were produced, 1953 or 54

Thread Information