Thread: Silent fan on Crown MA3600VZ

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Silent fan on Crown MA3600VZ

I've just bought a Crown Macro Tech 3600VZ, the sound is great but the fan makes way too much noise so that it can not be used in a hifi setup.

Is there a way too shutoff the fan (and keep an eye on the temp) or replace it with a more quiet fan? I was hopeing it was a normal "PC fan" that I could just unplug, but this fan is nothing like the ordinary PC fan, and I guess that explains the noise it makes

...whhhhrrrrr!

...I replaced all the fans in my Crowns with whisper fans bought online for about $4 a crack. Search the sites. All you need to know is the metric outside dimensions, the bolt hole spread, and depth. The re-wiring a chimpanzee could do! I found exact replacements that are 100% silent! Jeenie.

Did you have the same amp? It only seams to have one big fan (apox 4")and it's not the same type as I've seen before in other amps. Before I took a look I was hopeing I could replace it with a silent PC fan, but this fan seems to be somthing totally different tha the usual 12v fan.

the best would ofcourse be to replace it with a silent fan, the other option is to unplug it if I find a way

Here's a picture of the amp (and fan) inside:

I've just found out how this thing is wired, there are 3 smaller wires that goes to the printcard, they look very much the same as normal PC fan wires/plug. But when I disconnect that, nothing changes. I then realsed that there are one wire to each powersupply, I unpluged thoes and everything was quiet... VERY quiet, the amp didn't power up at all So it seems that to get the amp turned on I need to have the fan installed. Maybe I could shortcut the wire but this I don't dear until someone tells me it's good.

Any advice how I can turn of/bypass the fan

Hi again. Crown buys most of it's fans from outside sources. Try and disconnect it from it's mounting. On the fan there should be all the data you would need to replace it with a quieter unit. The ones I pulled were made in...where else...China! Xinruilian brushless DC fans...12 Volts DC.. 0.17 amps. 4 hole mounting....kinda' tough to get at! Jeenie.

Exclamation

NO!!!

a Crown MacroTech 3600 NEEDS THE FAN!!! to create the low voltage to power the "preamp" circuits!!!

YOU cannot unwire the fan, unless you create a low voltage power supply in its place.

If you look at the schematic for a Macro Tech 2400, you will see the "Motor Transformer" which creates voltage for the low voltage circuitry.

This is why it is SO important to keep the fan filters clean. When this fan fails, the "preamp" stuffs does not turn on, and nothing else works.

These amps were designed for Pro sound install and touring rigs. Not for home home hi-fi.

Scotty.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    One step above: "Two Tin Cans and a String!"
    Longtime Alaskan Low-Fi Guy - E=MC² ±3db

Quote Originally Posted by jeenie67 View Post
    Hi again. Crown buys most of it's fans from outside sources. Try and disconnect it from it's mounting. On the fan there should be all the data you would need to replace it with a quieter unit. The ones I pulled were made in...where else...China! Xinruilian brushless DC fans...12 Volts DC.. 0.17 amps. 4 hole mounting....kinda' tough to get at! Jeenie.
    Unfortunately you are wrong, you are talking about the normal kind of fans, not the kind that is on my amp

Quote Originally Posted by SMKSoundPro View Post
    NO!!!

a Crown MacroTech 3600 NEEDS THE FAN!!! to create the low voltage to power the "preamp" circuits!!!

YOU cannot unwire the fan, unless you create a low voltage power supply in its place.

What are you thinking?

Scotty.
    Sound like you know what you are talking about. I've tried unwire the fan and it doesn't hurt because the amp will not power up! But I agree that I probably need a low voltage power supply in instead of the fan, do you have any idea how I can fix this? Or is it just a stuipd idea to try and just sell the amp instead. Like it is now I have no use for it since it's WAY to noisy

Thread Information