Thread: L20T as 250Ti "surrounds"

L20T as 250Ti "surrounds"

Would a set of L20T's make a good set of surround speakers in conjunction with 250Ti's as the mains. The 18Ti's are harder to find!

250Ti's are slightly more efficient at 90dB versus 87dB for the L20T. I assume they should work OK together over a decent range of voumes once the level offset id configured on the surround sound amp.

Also, I am not really up to speed on 5.1 surround sound. Is there any way to configure the modern stuff to send the "centre" channel mix to the left and right mains, thus avoiding the issue of trying to accomodate an ugly centre channel (I'd be forced to find a single L20T or 18Ti to have a similar voicing to the 250Ti?). I had a surround sound setup 6 years ago and the centre channel was always a pain to fit into the living room. The rears can always but put up high out of the way...not so for the centre...

Also, when did they stop making the L20T?

I think you're on the right track for surrounds. Although, if you intend to listen to much surround music, ie: SACD/DVD-A, then you should consider full-range speakers for surrounds. The 250ti can function VERY well with no center. Any surround AVR can be set for "phantom center" or no center mode and the center channel is redirected as mono to the L-R channels. A decent match in the current center models would be the LC2 or PC600. The LC2 is considerably easier to find.

It will only be surround sound for music DVD's and movies. I never really got into the SACD hype...

So you are saying that processors can be easily set to send the centre channel to the L + R mains. Also, I assume the .1 sub channel can also be sent to the mains. That has perked up my interest no end.

Now I just have to figure out to clearly separate the 2 channel listening from the 5.1.

At the moment, the only sources I have are a Squeezebox feeding directly into a Bryston 4B SST. I guess I need a good 5.1 surround processor that I connect the Squeezebox to and then use a 2-channel "straight thru" setting to listen to stereo music onlyl.

I have a Bryston 3B ST knocking around that could power the L20T's. I can just take the rear channel feed from the processor and turn on the 3B amp when I want surround. I want the system as "stealth" as I can get it. I couldn't wait to get rid of my last 5.1 system 6 years ago as it was way too ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    Although, if you intend to listen to much surround music, ie: SACD/DVD-A, then you should consider full-range speakers for surrounds.
    I've got some 120Ti's but no way I will be able to get them up as surrounds. It'll ruin the decor!

Actually, the HF/MF surround drivers should be about at ear level for the best surround imaging, so a pair of 120ti on stands would be very good.

Your basic HT AVR these days will send bass/LFE wherever you want to send it. The 250ti is more than capable to handle the LF, but may be very slightly lacking in the "under 30Hz" range for LFE. Still I doubt you'd notice it much. Just keep in mind that the LFE channel being directed through the mains will suck down a LOT of power. For that reason alone a good sub is usually best.

I'd at least try the 250ti-120ti 4.0 setup, I'll guess it would do pretty well with enough horsepower behind it. Sending full range to all speakers with no sub or center.

They should work just fine. I use a pair in my set-up.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

They work well for us - got a pair hung in the back of the room pointed slightly down towards the sofa. of course, they are tied to our 4341s and the B380sub, but they are a nice surround rear

Quote Originally Posted by Andyoz View Post
    Would a set of L20T's make a good set of surround speakers in conjunction with 250Ti's as the mains. The 18Ti's are harder to find!

250Ti's are slightly more efficient at 90dB versus 87dB for the L20T. I assume they should work OK together over a decent range of voumes once the level offset id configured on the surround sound amp.

Also, I am not really up to speed on 5.1 surround sound. Is there any way to configure the modern stuff to send the "centre" channel mix to the left and right mains, thus avoiding the issue of trying to accomodate an ugly centre channel (I'd be forced to find a single L20T or 18Ti to have a similar voicing to the 250Ti?). I had a surround sound setup 6 years ago and the centre channel was always a pain to fit into the living room. The rears can always but put up high out of the way...not so for the centre...

Also, when did they stop making the L20T?
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    ... Just keep in mind that the LFE channel being directed through the mains will suck down a LOT of power. For that reason alone a good sub is usually best.
    Unless you're feeding the Front L/R mains pre-outs to external amps, and sending LFE to both the mains and the LFE pre-out to an SVS sub.

Quote Originally Posted by brutal View Post
    Unless you're feeding the Front L/R mains pre-outs to external amps, and sending LFE to both the mains and the LFE pre-out to an SVS sub.
    I used LFE to both my 250s and to my SVS sub, but I didn't like the SVS that much so now it's gone!

BTW: I'm also useing the L20T as surrounds together with 250s and I think it works real good. I've previously been useing 120ti as surrounds and it was great, but not that much of a difference from the L20T. As a center I'm useing a 4412 with 044ti

Thread Information