Thread: 4344 Bi Amping

4344 Bi Amping

I want to bi-amp my 4344s and have just purchased 2xBSS FDS360 active crossovers as a first step. It's amazing how cheap this old analogue pro gear has become- they cost about $300 US for the pair. Is anyone able to advise on crossover points and any other set-up info? I use a good tech but would like to be able to provide him with some clear guidelines on setting up the cards. 2x1200 hz cards were supplied and one each of 83 hz and 125 hz. As the xovers are usable as stereo 2 way, do I need only one? The other could then be set up for my 15" Tannoys. Thanks.

These are my favorite analog crossover , did you score these from "Trade Me" I seem to remember 2 there a while ago?..... Tip ! wire the limiter so it is defeated and remember the output is unbalanced although on an XLR. Here is the manual if you don't have it http://www.bssaudio.com/product_down...s/fds360um.pdf I'm not sure what the recommended crossover frequency for the 4344 is but no doubt someone will chime in here with it, just get the frequency cards RC values changed to suit (consulting the manual) and they can be configured for either 12 or 24 dB slopes. As each FDS 360 can be configured as a 2 way stereo or 4 way mono, configure them both as 2 way stereo and use one on both sets of loudspeakers.

I converted my Tannoy Berkley HPD385A's to 24dB LR filter network back in the very early 80's and was very pleased with the improvment from memory, what Tannoy drivers are you using?
    4435, 4430, 4315, 4312B.
    2 x Bryston 4BSST2, BGW 203, JBL 5235, Aphex 720.

Quote Originally Posted by jblbgw_man View Post
    These are my favorite analog crossover , did you score these from "Trade Me" I seem to remember 2 there a while ago?..... Tip ! wire the limiter so it is defeated and remember the output is unbalanced although on an XLR. Here is the manual if you don't have it http://www.bssaudio.com/product_down...s/fds360um.pdf I'm not sure what the recommended crossover frequency for the 4344 is but no doubt someone will chime in here with it, just get the frequency cards RC values changed to suit (consulting the manual) and they can be configured for either 12 or 24 dB slopes. As each FDS 360 can be configured as a 2 way stereo or 4 way mono, configure them both as 2 way stereo and use one on both sets of loudspeakers.

I converted my Tannoy Berkley HPD385A's to 24dB LR filter network back in the very early 80's and was very pleased with the improvment from memory, what Tannoy drivers are you using?
    Reply: Thank you for your words of reassurance. I am stepping out of my limited knowledge comfort zone on this sort of thing. As well as the 4344s, I also have a pair of 15" Monitor Golds (in original Lancaster cabs) that I am building GRF Pro cabinets for and a pair of 12" HPDs in 150 litre internal volume dual ported cabinets with ST100s on top. They sound magnificent! The drivers were originally in Cheviot cabs. Plus, NS1000Ms, 2xLS3/5As, ESL63s. It's so much more enjoyable having a stable of classic speakers than just signing a cheque for some fancy new high end ones. Classic = minimum depreciation and maximum appreciation.

Well done you have some of the vintage classics, I love the Tannoys as well ..... but JBL a bit better .

Our US friends will chime in soon to confirm the crossover frequency details you need for your 4343's, the catalogues I have say the lower cross over frequency is at 300Hz and 12dB slopes but don't take my word for it, it's not my area of experience.

Enjoy !!!
    4435, 4430, 4315, 4312B.
    2 x Bryston 4BSST2, BGW 203, JBL 5235, Aphex 720.

4344: 290 Hz if active - 4th order L-R work nicely for me on 4345's. (same driver complement except for the woofers)
    4343: I have no idea.

Thanks Chas- Useful info- I'll check 4345 specs and threads. I used to live in the Beaches in the 70s. Auckland NZ is a hell of a long way away!

I'm pretty sure 4343 and 4345 have the same recommended LF crossover of 290Hz. I believe "G" mentioned that the 4345 crossover was the recommended upgrade network for the older 4343 (and 4341) design ..
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Smile

Thanks for the help. My tech is modifying the BSS boards at the moment and I should be able to plug it all in next week. Fingers crossed. I will be using Jeff Rowland Model 7 monos on the bass and NZ made Lewitt Phoenixes on the top end. The Lewitts are 120 watt class A monos with an SET front end and MOSFET power stage, zero feedback. They are very dynamic and live sounding and sound better than the Rowlands on the 4344s in normal mode so I am quite excited at the prospect......

Quote Originally Posted by stephenred View Post
    Thanks for the help. My tech is modifying the BSS boards at the moment and I should be able to plug it all in next week. Fingers crossed. I will be using Jeff Rowland Model 7 monos on the bass and NZ made Lewitt Phoenixes on the top end. The Lewitts are 120 watt class A monos with an SET front end and MOSFET power stage, zero feedback. They are very dynamic and live sounding and sound better than the Rowlands on the 4344s in normal mode so I am quite excited at the prospect......
    Set the BSS FDS360 up last night and the result is stunning even just doing the adjustments by ear. The speakers open out and the midrange in particular has greater apparent size, clarity and detail. It's the closest I've got so far in my quest to have a home system that simulates the experience of live music. My wife, on the other hand, is not impressed by the visual effect of all this gear in the living room (she does admit it's great sound though!). If anyone out there has 4344/5s and hasn't biamped try it- you will be stunned at the improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by stephenred View Post
    If anyone out there has 4344/5s and hasn't biamped try it- you will be stunned at the improvement.
    No doubt about that. Enjoy!

How did you end up so far away from the Beaches, anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Chas View Post
    No doubt about that. Enjoy!

How did you end up so far away from the Beaches, anyway?
    London-Toronto-Tokyo-London-Wellington NZ-Auckland NZ and who knows where next. Just a rolling stone I guess. It's amazing who you bump into in this out of the way place though- I was chatting to Eric Clapton a couple of weeks ago! Hadn't spoken to him since 1964 at Acton Town Hall when the Yardbirds were playing......

Thread Information