+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: 4344 Bi Amping

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    12

    4344 Bi Amping

    I want to bi-amp my 4344s and have just purchased 2xBSS FDS360 active crossovers as a first step. It's amazing how cheap this old analogue pro gear has become- they cost about $300 US for the pair. Is anyone able to advise on crossover points and any other set-up info? I use a good tech but would like to be able to provide him with some clear guidelines on setting up the cards. 2x1200 hz cards were supplied and one each of 83 hz and 125 hz. As the xovers are usable as stereo 2 way, do I need only one? The other could then be set up for my 15" Tannoys. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member jblbgw_man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    130
    These are my favorite analog crossover , did you score these from "Trade Me" I seem to remember 2 there a while ago?..... Tip ! wire the limiter so it is defeated and remember the output is unbalanced although on an XLR. Here is the manual if you don't have it http://www.bssaudio.com/product_down...s/fds360um.pdf I'm not sure what the recommended crossover frequency for the 4344 is but no doubt someone will chime in here with it, just get the frequency cards RC values changed to suit (consulting the manual) and they can be configured for either 12 or 24 dB slopes. As each FDS 360 can be configured as a 2 way stereo or 4 way mono, configure them both as 2 way stereo and use one on both sets of loudspeakers.

    I converted my Tannoy Berkley HPD385A's to 24dB LR filter network back in the very early 80's and was very pleased with the improvment from memory, what Tannoy drivers are you using?
    4435, 4430, 4315, 4312B, 5235's.
    BGW 250D's, BGW 750C, BGW 203, BGW 7500, BSS FDS360's, Aphex 720, 320A, 204, 108, 124's.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by jblbgw_man View Post
    These are my favorite analog crossover , did you score these from "Trade Me" I seem to remember 2 there a while ago?..... Tip ! wire the limiter so it is defeated and remember the output is unbalanced although on an XLR. Here is the manual if you don't have it http://www.bssaudio.com/product_down...s/fds360um.pdf I'm not sure what the recommended crossover frequency for the 4344 is but no doubt someone will chime in here with it, just get the frequency cards RC values changed to suit (consulting the manual) and they can be configured for either 12 or 24 dB slopes. As each FDS 360 can be configured as a 2 way stereo or 4 way mono, configure them both as 2 way stereo and use one on both sets of loudspeakers.

    I converted my Tannoy Berkley HPD385A's to 24dB LR filter network back in the very early 80's and was very pleased with the improvment from memory, what Tannoy drivers are you using?
    Reply: Thank you for your words of reassurance. I am stepping out of my limited knowledge comfort zone on this sort of thing. As well as the 4344s, I also have a pair of 15" Monitor Golds (in original Lancaster cabs) that I am building GRF Pro cabinets for and a pair of 12" HPDs in 150 litre internal volume dual ported cabinets with ST100s on top. They sound magnificent! The drivers were originally in Cheviot cabs. Plus, NS1000Ms, 2xLS3/5As, ESL63s. It's so much more enjoyable having a stable of classic speakers than just signing a cheque for some fancy new high end ones. Classic = minimum depreciation and maximum appreciation.

  4. #4
    Senior Member jblbgw_man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    130
    Well done you have some of the vintage classics, I love the Tannoys as well ..... but JBL a bit better .

    Our US friends will chime in soon to confirm the crossover frequency details you need for your 4343's, the catalogues I have say the lower cross over frequency is at 300Hz and 12dB slopes but don't take my word for it, it's not my area of experience.

    Enjoy !!!
    4435, 4430, 4315, 4312B, 5235's.
    BGW 250D's, BGW 750C, BGW 203, BGW 7500, BSS FDS360's, Aphex 720, 320A, 204, 108, 124's.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,012
    4344: 290 Hz if active - 4th order L-R work nicely for me on 4345's. (same driver complement except for the woofers)
    4343: I have no idea.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    12
    Thanks Chas- Useful info- I'll check 4345 specs and threads. I used to live in the Beaches in the 70s. Auckland NZ is a hell of a long way away!

  7. #7
    Heather [Senorita member] hjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    DC 'burbs
    Posts
    7,506
    I'm pretty sure 4343 and 4345 have the same recommended LF crossover of 290Hz. I believe "G" mentioned that the 4345 crossover was the recommended upgrade network for the older 4343 (and 4341) design ..
    2ch - Oppo981, JoLida502, JBL L200+, KEF 105.4
    HT7- XDA-2, BDP93, 4b NRB, B&K 5ch amp, Vandy 3A, 2Ce, VCC1, TF600 & JBL 4641

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    12

    Smile

    Thanks for the help. My tech is modifying the BSS boards at the moment and I should be able to plug it all in next week. Fingers crossed. I will be using Jeff Rowland Model 7 monos on the bass and NZ made Lewitt Phoenixes on the top end. The Lewitts are 120 watt class A monos with an SET front end and MOSFET power stage, zero feedback. They are very dynamic and live sounding and sound better than the Rowlands on the 4344s in normal mode so I am quite excited at the prospect......

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by stephenred View Post
    Thanks for the help. My tech is modifying the BSS boards at the moment and I should be able to plug it all in next week. Fingers crossed. I will be using Jeff Rowland Model 7 monos on the bass and NZ made Lewitt Phoenixes on the top end. The Lewitts are 120 watt class A monos with an SET front end and MOSFET power stage, zero feedback. They are very dynamic and live sounding and sound better than the Rowlands on the 4344s in normal mode so I am quite excited at the prospect......
    Set the BSS FDS360 up last night and the result is stunning even just doing the adjustments by ear. The speakers open out and the midrange in particular has greater apparent size, clarity and detail. It's the closest I've got so far in my quest to have a home system that simulates the experience of live music. My wife, on the other hand, is not impressed by the visual effect of all this gear in the living room (she does admit it's great sound though!). If anyone out there has 4344/5s and hasn't biamped try it- you will be stunned at the improvement.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,012
    Quote Originally Posted by stephenred View Post
    If anyone out there has 4344/5s and hasn't biamped try it- you will be stunned at the improvement.
    No doubt about that. Enjoy!

    How did you end up so far away from the Beaches, anyway?

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Chas View Post
    No doubt about that. Enjoy!

    How did you end up so far away from the Beaches, anyway?
    London-Toronto-Tokyo-London-Wellington NZ-Auckland NZ and who knows where next. Just a rolling stone I guess. It's amazing who you bump into in this out of the way place though- I was chatting to Eric Clapton a couple of weeks ago! Hadn't spoken to him since 1964 at Acton Town Hall when the Yardbirds were playing......

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 4344 L-pad adjustment need advise
    By hoto in forum Lansing Product Technical Help
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-06-2007, 08:41 PM
  2. 4344 doghouse & ports sizes?
    By jarrods in forum Lansing Product Technical Help
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-19-2004, 05:55 AM
  3. Cross between 4315 and 4344?
    By johnaec in forum Lansing Product General Information
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-06-2004, 09:06 AM
  4. 4344 Mark II (Japan) vs 4343
    By tv506 in forum Lansing Product Technical Help
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-01-2003, 10:57 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts