Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Cabinet Design For a D120-F (Guitar)

Best Cabinet Design For a D120-F (Guitar)

I'd like to build a small speaker cabinet for a single D120-F. This will be driven by a 1972 Traynor YRM-1 50W tube guitar amp. Fender used these speakers in Bandmasters and a bunch of other amps. Since the Bandmaster was a closed back 2X12 cabinet, can I just assume half the volume and design a cabinet that size? As i recall, they were un-ported and stuffed with insulation. How is the tone likely to be affected by an open/closed back? Thanks, I appreciate any help.

Open back closed back, ported your choice.

I have Line6 open back with a E120 in it. I sounds great!
    I recently picked up a 4206 stage monitor that comes with a D120F. I'll hook it up to my Line6 and play thought it. The 4206 is ported box, I'll plug the hole and listen to the difference. I'll re post in a couple of days and let you know the results. John

Thanks John. Some first hand experience would be fantastic. The decision is open back, closed back, ported. Thirty years ago I had a Bandmaster with JBLs and loved the tone, so I'm leaning towards that configuration.

The trend these days is to run a mix of open back, closed back. Mesa Boogie made a quad a while back that was actually 2 boxes with the top one having a removable back. Closed back will give more bottom end response and the open back will favour top end. Theile cabinets have been used as well but are not very common.

Allan.

.....The Fender Evil Twin Sez.........

.....Seek a Junior Bandmaster Cabinet. Much smaller than a full sized Bandmaster, but similar sounding and much easier to shluck! I've had both twice over....I'll take the Junior Bandmaster, 2 - 12" drivers in the same configuration as it's bigger brother. Aprox 24" high x 38" or so wide, same 11.5" depth.

Allen, Great idea! I can design the cab with the middle 1/3 of the back panel removable. Then I have both configurations.

Jeenie, using half of your dimensions I can build the cab 22H X 20W X 12D. That size works for my space requirements. Thanks!

Hola senor...My Vox all tube Ac-15's 24"w x 17"h x 10" deep. Open back. One 6" protective strip across the middle, horizontal, and one 12" Wharfedale Bulldog. Screams!

God, I love the Traynor 50 watt amps. What kinda guitar are you gonna be using? Gimme some influences and I may be able to pin down a good design for that speaker.

Hi Harvey, It's a Les Paul with 57 pups. Amazing sustain and resonance. I'm a classic rock kind of guy (late 60's - early 70's). And love the blues - Gary Moore.

I have a Ceriatone blackface Vibro Champ with 2 Webber 10 Vintage Series speakers in an open back combo. This amp is the Fender tone at its best.

The Traynor is for the rocking British tone (Who, Hendrix, etc.). I'm looking for a very different tone from the Traynor and JBL than I get from the Ceriatone.

I want to go with the single 12 JBL to make the cab more portable and to take up less room at home. Am I correct in assuming the single D120 will handle the Traynor?

Thanks again for all the help!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Wow, that's a gorgeous Les Paul.

>< cheers

Hi Harvey! Thanks for jumping in!

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Gerst View Post
    God, I love the Traynor 50 watt amps. What kinda guitar are you gonna be using? Gimme some influences and I may be able to pin down a good design for that speaker.
    Yes!! The Traynor amps VERY nice!!!

When I was writing my first reply I was thinking that you would be the one to ask! John

Okay, I'd probably go with the Ceriatone open back cabinet design, but notice the two panels on the back are removable. Go that route, but also make a full back panel to cover the entire rear of the cabinet, making it into a closed back cabinet. You'd have two different sounds to play with and you could chose either one for a particular style of music.

The open back cabinets of that size have a roll off at around 90 Hz, which isn't a problem for most guitars (low E is around 84 Hz). Closing the back should give you a more "chunky" sound.

I have a very old Traynor YBA-1 50 Watt Tube amplifier that I found at a flea market for $20.

...just a few!

...my beaters ! Aye! nice Paul....my son has my Gold Top with the little Humbuckers. Jeenie
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks Harvey! Looks like we have this figured out. I'll build two backs so the cab can be run either open or closed. Should I insulate the sides, top, and bottom like the old Bandmaster/Showman? Could be a bit of a problem if left with the back open.

$20 for a YBA-1 is unbelievable! That's just one of the many differences between living on a lake in Maine vs the rest of the country. Mine was $420 (just the head). Few people realize what these amps really are. However, that's changing. Very difficult to find a bargain now. Unfortunately Traynor made terrible speaker systems (at least the ones I saw). That may have a lot to do with why they never caught on like Fender & Marshall.

Jeenie, That's quite an eclectic collection of amps and guitars. I like it!

My LP was a special order as Gibson didn't offer the wine red flametop in that particular model. I almost went with a goldtop. That was my second choice. The goldtops were the guitars I lusted over in my youth.

Thread Information