Thread: Charge Coupled 4-Way

Charge Coupled 4-Way

I would like to embark on a custom crossover for the new Westlakes. I noticed several members built custom 4-ways for their 4345's. I would like to do the same. Not sure I would continue to use them but would like to experiment.

I'm wondering if one of the members who has done this could give me plans and help me modify those plans to crossover at 400,1.8k and 8k? Driver compliment is as follows:

128H-1 x 2 @4 ohms
    2122H x 1 @8 ohms
    2426J x 1 @16 ohms
    2403 x 1 @8 ohms

Ken

Hello Ken

What you need to do is workout the basic crossover first. Don't you have a schematic from Westlake for them?? They should have a passive option no?? With that you can easily convert it to a CC network. It's really no big deal once you have the crossover worked out.

Simple rule of thumb is you double the capacitor value and the number of caps so a 1uf becomes 2x 2uf. See piece of cake.

You cannot just change the 4345 crossover. You need a complete in cabinet measurement set to even start the process. Impedance runs for the drivers the whole 9 yards. With a set-up like that it would be down right criminal to do it half ass-ed. It's not a trivial thing to accomplish, there is a lot of work to do it right.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Pachkowsky View Post
    I would like to embark on a custom crossover for the new Westlakes. I noticed several members built custom 4-ways for their 4345's. I would like to do the same. Not sure I would continue to use them but would like to experiment.

I'm wondering if one of the members who has done this could give me plans and help me modify those plans to crossover at 400,1.8k and 8k? Driver compliment is as follows:

128H-1 x 2 @4 ohms
    2122H x 1 @8 ohms
    2426J x 1 @16 ohms
    2403 x 1 @8 ohms

Ken
    So those are just box's and components? I figured they had those westlake x-overs that take up a entire kitchen table!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Hello Ken

What you need to do is workout the basic crossover first. Don't you have a schematic from Westlake for them?? They should have a passive option no??
    Rob
    Rob

Nice to hear from you. No data from Westlake. This particular pair have no internal network, although the terminal strips were installed. I am pretty sure I am going the dual Deqx route but would like to get by for a while with a bi-amp internal network scenario. Just buying the speakers was a major investment. You know what I mean....another Deqx, 2 more amps....yada yada. They do use the same driver compliment as the current HR7 Tower.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    So those are just box's and components? I figured they had those westlake x-overs that take up a entire kitchen table!!!
    HaHa

Hi John, nice to see you. This model came with those huge crossovers ......but not this particular pair.

Ken

Hello Ken

Can you get the network schematic for the stacked tower pair?? If they have the same driver spacing and baffle layout for the 2122, 2426 and 2403 you may be able to use that. The baffle width and driver placement on the 128's and 2122 will change things a bit but the tops may be fine with that x-over. Have you tried talking to them about it to see what they recommend and if that is a viable option??

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Hello Ken

Can you get the network schematic for the stacked tower pair??
    Rob
    Let me see what I can get Rob.

Ken

Thread Information