Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I LOVE Monster Cable!

Thanks for the sarcasm SEAWOLF97. I can tell you that my system, including electronics, cables and speakers is "cheap garbage" compared to what a lot of people use, not only in my area, but all over Norway, and I believe many places all over the world.

I have never bought a component, that is changed from something I have to a new stuff if I could not hear that the new one is better. Take my word for it.

Regarding the 4333, I don't have them. I have 4343B's, and the reason I have them is that I have not found anything to my liking better yet. The only one is maybe the Everest II, but so far I haven't had them in my house, listening, and can say for sure I like them better, and I never buy anything new before I have had it in my house for listening.

I am happy with the sound I have, and think it is better to spend $2000 on a pair of cables instead of spending $10.000 for a pre or power amp if the upgrade in sound is the same. Common sense I think.

I am so tired to get all these irrelevant answers when it comes to prices vs result of quality in sound. Maybe if you can get a dealer to lend you and you hook up your system with matching electronics/cables you to may hear differences.

As I said before, "I may be a fool trying to answer", and look what happens.

I will never again comment products, cables or such. We all have the right to have a meaning, but I don't believe I ever have harassed anyone for the equipment they have and are pleased with, so please stop harass with me for my meanings.

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    I'm really happy for you Rolf , the $2000 innerconnects must be connected to the $4000 CD player ? (playing the $10 CD ? ) at this point I wud think the old 4333 are the weak link ...If I were you , I'd kick them out to the curb and go put deposit on the new K3's to take full advantage of the super interconns ..

Well , Bill Gates and Rolf do , us 'po foke just dont have the hearing

to appreciate the nano difference.

So if I had Warren Buffet's discreshionary income , would I buy them ? Well , I enjoy thrift stores ...other day the old lady said "bet you wouldnt shop the thrifts if you won the lottery" ....then she corrected herself and said "Oh, you prolly wud " ...I agreed. ...even with WB's money ...NO

OBTW: When in Asia last year I was on the commercial audio alley , they had all the MONSTER stuff next to the generic Chinese branded gear,,,I looked both over very carefully , it was identical - except the name & price....everything they had was from China, nothing from US , do you think they bought expensive US Monster connects to sell ? I think not, it all came from the same factory.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolf View Post
    Sorry, but I don't understand the meaning of your last sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by Hjames
    I'm just not doing that tedious waltz with you again.
    Just meant that we've had this argument over and over and there is never any change in the resolution ... its old and redundant and tedious to do it yet again.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Just meant that we've had this argument over and over and there is never any change in the resolution ... its old and redundant and tedious to do it yet again.
    Agreed. See my latest post.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolf View Post
    So you folks think this is so funny? I feel sorry for you. Maybe I am a fool to write this answer, as I know those who don't want to hear, don't hear, or have problems with the hearing.

Some weeks ago I bought a pair of balanced cables, price about US$ 20. This, I was told was the cables one used in broadcasting companies, as well as in many recording studios. (Here in Norway anyway). Well I disconnected my MONSTER Sigma interlink cables from the CD player to the preamp, and hooked up the balanced ones.

I took me no more than a few minutes of listening, hearing the hars squeezy and boomy sound, not to talk about the stereo image, to go back to my MONSTER Sigma again. The MONSTER Sigma had a price when I bought them to about US$ 2000, and is worth it! You can compare the difference to change to a better pre or power amp.

Remember this is interconnect cables. Regarding speaker cables there is not so much difference.
    Hi Rolf,

Its okay.

I never was one for slap stick humour (all 99 channels of it)

The other day I was in a department store and they had reels of speaker cable of all different sizes stacked up on the floor. It was Monster Cable. Can't blame them for sucessful merchandising.

JBL has used Monster cable in some of their loudspeakers.

Speaker wires and interconnects

I'm glad I'm in the low power tube amp camp and use single strand solid copper wire (18 guage) for all my crossover/speaker to amp wiring.

It does make a difference in sound (at least to me a few of my friends) in the midrange and bass as it sounds less muddy.

I also use silver wire (unshielded) interconnects for all my line level hookups as it increases the clarity of the midbass and seems to make the upper HF sound crisper. The synergy of these cables (along with keeping them away from power cords and such for hum reasons) also does not get along well with all my gear, mostly some solid state gear that I used to have set up had issues where it sounded thin and forward in the midrange. For most of my tube gear though, it sounds wonderful!

My speaker wire can be purchased at Lowes or Home Depot for economical prices (less than $0.10 per foot), and my interconnects are little more pricey at $40.00 per 1 meter pair (and those are the cheap ones from this company!!!).

If I had huge SS amps with big wattage I would probably use 10 guage 2 conductor Romex for my speaker runs!

Just my 2 cents worth!

Regards, Ron
    JBL Pro for home use!

Maybe a lot of people have a problem with cable quality because they have never had the chance to make a comparison. Speaker cabling is a no brainer. Unless you are using "lamp cable" there is no difference IMO between a good quality silicone rubber flex for maybe $5 a meter to a pure silver at $5000 a meter. Poor quality insulation will make a huge difference but one needs to compare apple to apples. Patch cables (interconnects) are a totaly different story. There are so many different qualities out there. Last week I changed a generic brand video cable to a more expensive generic brand and the difference was hugely noticable. I would say 75-100% better. I have had similar results with audio cables as well. Now I am about to go down the expensive cable path. Well not super expensive. I know for a fact that if you spend a reasonable amount of money, maybe in the $50-$100 range, you will be more pleased with the overall quality than you would with generic. If you make them yourself you can get even better quality for less money. Having said that going from a $5 cable to a $100 cable makes a huge difference, I can't really see that going to a $1000 cable is going to make that much of a difference. These cables are usualy made from silver and If anyone out there can hear the difference between silver , copper or gold....................well, I don't need to say.

Allan.

P.S. $2000 is not a lot to pay for interconnects. There are way more expensive cables out there.

Without wanting to turn this thread into a cable rant its in the eye of the beholder (and the level of equipment in the system).

For example pure silver or silver coated copper speaker wire is chalk and cheeze on the right system. Its a known fact the level of detail at high frequencies is boosted and frankly I dont like them.

Some fancy cables will make an amplifier become unstable.

This is where consumers get taken for a ride.

There is nothing wrong with Lamp flex for small speakers and very short runs. But dont expect a $60K loudspeaker to sound like its worth $60K running on lamp flex.

The Mogami and Van Damme cables used by studio professionals the world over are regarded as industry standard and they are not over priced. The conductor sizes range from 1.5 - to 4.00 mm using UP LD OFC

You want expensive go here:
    http://www.stealthaudiocables.com/pr...m/dream_sp.htm

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    I'm really happy for you Rolf , the $2000 innerconnects must be connected to the $4000 CD player ? (playing the $10 CD ? ) at this point I wud think the old 4343 are the weak link ...If I were you , I'd kick them out to the curb and go put deposit on the new K3's to take full advantage of the super interconns ..
    Now that doesn’t make sense a £10, 00 pound CD on £4 grand CD player, surly it should be the other way around. LOL

......air this !

....Well you have what you believe are high-end interconnects....all the power to you, but....Monster cables, like so many others, are a pretty decent marketing ploy and that's about it! If you upgraded from the little supplied cables packed with most components, you have achieved a little bit more in the way of sonic transference. One does not need to spend hundreds of $$$$ to achieve quiet across the board frequency transfer. Just look at the simple physics of wire and the signal it must carry. Some like silver...it accommodates maybe systems lacking a little in the higher frequency range. Some like multi-strand 100000 zillion % pure copper, if it floats their boat. I prefer air dialectics. Simply for the reason that I live near mega RFI. Wire is wire period! What the final product must be is the least amount of insertion loss and the highest rejection of voltages and interference present near the cabling. Add to this a transparency characteristic of the wire itself. It should do nothing but carry the signal without adding or subtracting anything. Heavy gauge lamp cord works great! So does Cat5e wire for interconnects. That's what I use, inside medical tubing. My speaker wires are house wire, 12-3, crosshatched at 45 degrees the entire 6 foot length each. The whole shibang cost me about $20 - $25 and took about an hour of my time to consruct. My systems quiet!

....Speaking about mega-RFI...

....this sometimes happens when I use my wireless laptop....I receive messages from outer space, cyberspace, and sometimes CB radio jabber...wish I could talk back to the trucker! Sometimes a post will post on every site I've visited that session! Oh well....I wished to include a pic of the cabling I assembled....try this one again.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Brennan View Post
    Note that high priced wires started at the same time that the drug addlled, self indulgent and delusional Baby Boomers started coming into money.

It's posts like this that keep me coming back.

The Emporors New Chloths!

Before you go out and spend BIG $$$$$ on interconnects read or reread this story. Mon$tor cable relies on "the emperors" syndrome to get you to buy their cables.
    I'm not putting down good cables! Just extremely over priced cables!

I'm a chief engineer of a FM radio station in Chicago. Needless to say I have to deal with a lot of cables on a daily basis. I use high quality cable, but none of the over priced cable from the like Mon$tor or other brands.

For speaker wire 16ga lamp cord works just fine! If you want to spend a little extra on some nice speaker cable that's OK. Just remember that a $100 set of cables WILL NOT sound 4 times better than $25 set of cables. John

I never wanted to pay the high price for Monster Cable interconnects but a friend of mine let me in on a secret. Some of the pro stuff is the same as the high end home stuff but with a little less shielding. He told me I could save money by buying a 30' long piece of microphone cable and cut it into 3' lengths and solder the terminals on myself. I took his advise and was supprised at the difference. The cost of the 30' piece was $150 and the terminals were around $30. Well worth the effort.

OK, you all may attack now!

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    I never wanted to pay the high price for Monster Cable interconnects but a friend of mine let me in on a secret. Some of the pro stuff is the same as the high end home stuff but with a little less shielding. He told me I could save money by buying a 30' long piece of microphone cable and cut it into 3' lengths and solder the terminals on myself. I took his advise and was supprised at the difference. The cost of the 30' piece was $150 and the terminals were around $30. Well worth the effort.

OK, you all may attack now!

I see no wrong in making your own cables up. One they can be costumed for the specific task in the audio chain
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Just some FYI on bulk cable if you want to make your own.

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/318145.html 50' will cost you $29

For those that would like a premium cable.
    http://www.fullcompass.com/product/299547.html
    I do use this at the station, mainly because it is a very quite cable, no micro-phonics. You can beat on it with hammer and no noise will be heard.
    Make up all the cables you need, then sell the left over cable on eBay. John

Thread Information