Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Greatest ROCK song EVER ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    If you're gonna put Hendrix in there, how about "All Along The Watchtower" and "Little Wing"?
    Both trax are fine but don't make me shiver & shake
    Maybe Hendrix [or some others] doesn't fit on this list wich consist mainly of garage/surf tunes, but that's the 60's

Tis is not fair . There are hundreds of fantastic rock songs. This one is one of my favourit
    Long cool woman in a black dress.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3UrZwQxjU8

Anything from Wanda Jackson. She is still touring around the world, 58 years after her first single in 1953. Then she toured with pubescent Elvis Presley and showed him how to treat a lady. I saw her a few years ago in Montreal in a concert organized by the local rockabillies and was impressed. She sure knows how to rock a church basement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kf5FvUt7iIw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5-nT...eature=related

Name:  tumblr_lirvypuljj1qepmiwo1_400.jpg
Views: 803
Size:  24.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by maxwedge View Post
    God Save The Queen by the Sex Pistols

Sent Rock & Roll reeling & tumbling! 1976!
    Nah. Never mind the Sex Pistols. Here's the Clash.

As hip as the Pistols were, they also were nothing more than puppets from marketing maestro Malcolm McLaren. Which he made very clear with his movie "The great rock'n'roll swindle". While The Clash were musicians and they did more than one album... Even Bruce Springsteen admitted he wished he had the talent of The Clash. ;-)

And to those who pretend that the Sex Pistols invented punk, what a coincidence that their manager, Malcolm McLaren was also the last manager of the New-York Dolls in 1975, the band who, along with Iggy Pop and Lou Reed, were the original punks... But hey, Malcolm was a marketing genius as I mentionned.

Every time I hear these songs, I got to shiver & shake
    PART 2 [70's] Too Much Too Soon

1. THE STOOGES - Down on The Street, Loose, Raw Power, Search & Destroy, Tight Pants, I got Right, Gimme Some Skin
    2. MC 5 - Tonight, The American Ruse, Sister Anne, Poison, Miss X
    3. Flamin' Groovies - Headin' for the Texas Border, Teenage Head, Evil Hearted Ada, Second Cousin, She's Falling Apart, Whisky Woman, I Can't Hide, Please Please Girl, Teenage Confidential, You Tore Me Down, Shake Some Action, Slow Death, In The U.S.A.
    4. New York Dolls - Personality Crisis,Looking for a Kiss, Lonely Planet Boy, Trash, Bad Girl, Pills, Jet Boy, Chatterbox
    5. T.REX - Mambo Sun, Jeepster, Cosmic Dancer, Get It On, Life's a Gas, Metal Guru, The Slider, Telegram Sam, Rabbit Fighter, Main Man, Crimson Moon, I Love to Boogie, Broken-Hearted Blues, 20th Century Boy, Laser Love, Celebrate Summer
    6. ROXY MUSIC - Remake Remodel, Virginia Plain, Pyjamarama, Do the Strand, Beauty Queen, Street Life, Amazona, Love Is the Drug, All I Want Is You, Three and Nine, A Really Good Time, Both Ends Burning, In Every Dream Home a Heartache, Angel Eyes, Trash, Dance Away
    7. GARY GLITTER - Rock and Roll Part 2, I'm the Leader of the Gang
    8. DAVID BOWIE - Rebel Rebel, Hang On to Yourself, John, I'm Only Dancing, Black Country Rock, The Man Who Sold the World, Running Gun Blues, Watch That Man, Sound and Vision, What In The World, Heroes
    9. LOU REED - Vicious, Perfect Day, Walk on the Wild Side, Coney Island Baby
    10.IGGY POP - Lust for Life, Sixteen, The Passenger, Tonight, China Girl, Nightclubbing, New Values, Girls, Kill City
    11.JOHNNY THUNDERS - Born to Lose, All by Myself, Chinese Rocks, Pirate Love, One Track Mind, (You Can't Put Your Arms Around A) Memory
    12.Sylvain Sylvain - Teenage News
    13.BRYAN FERRY - Sign of the Times, The 'In' Crowd, The Price of Love, Smoke Gets in Your Eyes, When She Walks in the Room
    14.BRYAN ENO - Needles in the Camel's Eye, Third Uncle
    15.BLONDIE - Heart of Glass, Denis, Sunday Girl, Hanging on the Telephone, Dreaming, Picture This, Union City Blue, (I'm Always Touched by Your) Presence Dear, Atomic, Fade Away and Radiate, Pretty Baby
    16.B-52's - Private Idaho, Mesopotamia
    17.JAPAN - Adolescent Sex, Life In Tokyo, Quiet Life
    18.Grace Jones - La Vie en Rose
    19.Television - See No Evil, Marquee Moon
    20.Richard Hell & The Voidoids - Love Comes in Spurts, Liars Beware
    21.RAMONES - Rockaway Beach, I Don't Care, Sheena Is a Punk Rocker, Do You Wanna Dance?, Glad to See You Go, I Remember You, Oh Oh I Love Her So, Suzy Is a Headbanger, Now I Wanna Be a Good Boy, Swallow My Pride, California Sun, You're Gonna Kill That Girl, Blitzkrieg Bop, Beat on the Brat, Judy Is a Punk, Now I Wanna Sniff Some Glue, Loudmouth, I Just Want to Have Something to Do, I Wanna Be Sedated, She's the One
    22.THE ELECTRIC CHAIRS - Bad in Bed, Max's Kansas City, On the Crest, Take It, Out of Control, Rock & Roll Resurrection, Speed Demon, Trying to Get on the Radio, Midnight Pal
    23.DMZ - Busy Man, First Time, Mighty Idy, Bad Attitude, Watch for Me Girl, Baby Boom
    24.Suicide - Ghost Rider, Rocket USA
    25.The Clash - Janie Jones, Remote Control, I'm So Bored With the U.S.A., White Riot, What's My Name, Career Opportunities, Protex Blue, Police & Thieves, London Calling, Spanish Bombs, Brand New Cadillac, I'm Not Down
    26.BUZZCOCKS - Orgasm Addict, What Do I Get?, Ever Fallen in Love?, Lipstick, Sixteen Again, ESP, Fast Cars, Love Battery, Moving Away From the Pulsebeat
    29.THE STRANGLERS - Sometimes, Goodbye Toulouse, London Lady, Princess of the Streets, No More Heroes, Hanging Around, Nice 'n Sleazy, The Raven
    30.THE JAM - Art School, Sounds From the Street
    31.THE BOYS - Brickfield Nights, Sick on You, I Call Your Name, First Time
    32.SEX PISTOLS - Silly Thing, Lonely Boy, Pretty Vacant
    33.THE MODERN LOVERS - Roadrunner, She Cracked, Modern World
    34.THE REAL KIDS - Do the Boob
    35.THE RUTS - Babylon's Burning
    36.The Undertones - Teenage Kicks, I Gotta Getta, Here Comes the Summer, Get Over You, Jimmy Jimmy
    37.Tony Joe White - Soul Francisco, Don't Steal My Love, Polk Salad Annie, Elements and Things, Rainy Night in Georgia, They Caught the Devil and Put Him in Jail in Eudora, Arkansas, Voodoo Village, Stud-Spider, Hard to Handle, Even Trolls Love Rock and Roll
    38.MARVIN GAYE - Got to Give It Up, Inner City Blues
    39.THE DOORS - Waiting for the Sun, Peace Frog, The Spy, Queen of the Highway, Blue Sunday, Love Her Madly, Cars Hiss by My Window, L.A. Woman, Hyacinth House, Riders on the Storm
    40.JIMI HENDRIX - Freedom, Ezy Ryder, Astro Man, Angel, Message to Love, Room full of mirrors
    41.SLY & THE FAMILY STONE - Family Affair, In Time, If You Want Me to Stay
    42.Funkadelic - Mommy, What's a Funkadelic?, Super Stupid, Funky Dollar Bill
    43.Pink Floyd - One of These Days
    44.LED ZEPPELIN - Immigrant Song
    45.ROLLING STONES - Miss You, Dance Little Sister, Hot Stuff, All Down the Line, Till the Next Goodbye

I'll bite

Buffalo Springfield: "For What its Worth"

Beatles: "While My Guitar Gently Weeps"

Beatles: Medley on Abbey Road:
    "You Never Give Me Your Money" ,"Sun King","Mean Mr. Mustard", "Polythene Pam", "She Came in Through the Bathroom Window","Golden Slumbers","Carry That Weight",and the climax, "The End".

More modern? "Squeeter and the Monkey Man" : The Traveling Wilbury's

Tom Petty:Full Moon Fever, "I Won't Back Down", "Free Fallin'" and "Runnin' Down a Dream"

Tom Petty : Biggest Achievement for a Rocker? He took on the system and won! That helped eliminate the stranglehold labels used to have on artists! Hoo-rah!!
    Integra DHC80.1,3x 4636LF, 2360-2446J 2404H,12 x 8340 Surrounds, 2 x4645B, BGW 250D's,250E's,& 750B's 16 amps...7600 watts

Quote Originally Posted by loach71 View Post
    1970 -- Walking down Tu Do Street listening to CCR Susie Q...
    Quote Originally Posted by loach71 View Post
    Hey G.I. *********
    Oh geeze Tim ...I read this again and flashed to sitting on the Bee's doorsill , feet dangling in
    110kt breeze (with monkeybelt on) and just a boppin' along cross the Delta to SusieQ or California Girls coming over the helmets phones courtesy of AFVN

After listening to the BluRay 5.1 WYWH last night on the Senns ...I'd nominate any of the 5 tracks.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Cool

Glad to see you people have great tunes to listen to on good old rockin jbl speakers.almost all of my favorites are listed here..my fav is ces't la vie by bob seger.

This is coming from an 18 year old who has been listening to the 60's music all his life. My favorite would have to be Seger's Ramblin' Gamblin' Man. That song, I can just CRANK!!! I hate that new (c)rap that they play on the radio now a days.

I've been grooving to Harry Nilsson's "Jump Into the Fire" lately. It builds, fades and builds again, maintaining a high energy and interest level throughout.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8X6mlbq45k

One of my fave albums !

Steve,

what an brilliant album

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Bucha View Post
    This is coming from an 18 year old who has been listening to the 60's music all his life. My favorite would have to be Seger's Ramblin' Gamblin' Man. That song, I can just CRANK!!! I hate that new (c)rap that they play on the radio now a days.
    They don't play music on the radio near me -
    Talk talk, its only talk ...

All the good prog and rock stations in my area are gone -
    I think WRNR out near Annapolis, MD is probably good -
    but their signal doesn't reach my place -
    even with antenna boosters & a rotor!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by Bucha View Post
    60's music is was got me thru the war (conflict ? police action ? whatever..). AFVN radio
    (Armed Forces Vietnam) was a better rock station that what we have today
    (and no damned car commercials) ..anyway,

its good to see an 18 y.o. appreciating some of the 60's tunes..it was quite an era ....my 30 y.o. son loves the punk/garage genre from then.

I made some little 12 inch narrow shelves that are wall mounted and next to the 3 active turntables in the home. I put the jackets up when playing the disks and can tell later what is still on the turntable.

The 3 currently displaying are : BS&T - Child is Father to the Man. 2. LedZep - first, and 3. Clash - Combat Rock.

Quote Originally Posted by lgvenable View Post
    Buffalo Springfield: "For What its Worth"

Beatles: "While My Guitar Gently Weeps"

Beatles: Medley on Abbey Road:
    "You Never Give Me Your Money" ,"Sun King","Mean Mr. Mustard", "Polythene Pam", "She Came in Through the Bathroom Window","Golden Slumbers","Carry That Weight",and the climax, "The End".

More modern? "Squeeter and the Monkey Man" : The Traveling Wilbury's

Tom Petty:Full Moon Fever, "I Won't Back Down", "Free Fallin'" and "Runnin' Down a Dream"

Tom Petty : Biggest Achievement for a Rocker? He took on the system and won! That helped eliminate the stranglehold labels used to have on artists! Hoo-rah!!

Larry .... our lists mesh very well

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schell View Post
    I've been grooving to Harry Nilsson's "Jump Into the Fire" lately. It builds, fades and builds again, maintaining a high energy and interest level throughout.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8X6mlbq45k

Great track! I've always really liked Harry Nilsson and that song still sounds fresh as the day it was recorded. Here are some more by Harry that come to mind (not recorded as loudly as "Jump Into the Fire" so crank them up!)......

Harry had more talent in his little finger than many current day "retro" artists like Lenny Kravitz have in their entire body (nothing against Lenny)....

Quote Originally Posted by voice of theatr View Post
    Great track! I've always really liked Harry Nilsson and that song still sounds fresh as the day it was recorded. Here are some more by Harry that come to mind (not recorded as loudly as "Jump Into the Fire" so crank them up!)......

Harry had more talent in his little finger than many current day "retro" artists like Lenny Kravitz have in their entire body (nothing against Lenny)....

I always liked his "you broke my heart , you tore it apart, so f*ck you"

they don't write great lyrics like that anymore ...

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    I always liked his "you broke my heart , you tore it apart, so f*ck you"

they don't write great lyrics like that anymore ...
    Yeah, that's another classic from the "Son of Schmilsson" LP. I remember when I was a teenager we'd always give that particular track a little extra volume!!!

Thread Information