Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Anything new on 2435HPL horn compatability/implementation?

The Timbers filter?

Yes. Advanced Search under Zilch for keyword "parsed."

Edit: Here's your data:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

"Gauntlet"

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...690#post146690

Here's the filters I used above, "Gauntlet," front, Timbers rear:

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by jlharden View Post
    I haven't heard anything from 4313B yet
    I'm using the H4338 horn.

Didn't you build something with two 1200Fe and a 90x50 rectangular PT waveguide per side?

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
    Didn't you build something with two 1200Fe and a 90x50 rectangular PT waveguide per side?
    Yes. I briefly tried a DEQX with them and didn't like the results for a primary home system.

I might end up using the waveguides with some 2204H's at some point. Or I might just sell them.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Yes. I briefly tried a DEQX with them and didn't like the results for a primary home system.
    My offer to send you a pair of 2452H plus "SL" diaphragms to try with PT-F95HFs stands.

You may have a different experience with that combo than with 2435HPL/435Be....

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    My offer to send you a pair of 2452H plus "SL" diaphragms to try with PT-F95HFs stands.

You may have a different experience with that combo than with 2435HPL/435Be....
    I also tried 476Be's which seem to work quite well on the waveguides.

I'm still too busy reconing and building networks to worry about my own systems right now. I haven't had a functional personal system for more than a year and it will probably remain that way for some time to come. Basically I briefly messed around with my various driver sets to determine if I wanted to keep them or not and then put them all on the shelf. I sold all my legacy JBL systems over the past several years. At this moment I am still screwing around with 4345 variants when I have time. I'm also waiting on the Project May boxes to come back to me for final network design.

jlharden
    Zilch ~

Excellent! I will order parts for the "Gauntlet". Just to be sure, is this the appropriate parts list and schematic for the "Gauntlet" version? Thanks!

4313B~

Thank you for the update!

Jerrod

Quote Originally Posted by jlharden View Post
    Just to be sure, is this the appropriate parts list and schematic for the "Gauntlet" version?
    Yes.

Run it active or passively highpassed at ~1 kHz.

Let us know how that works for you....

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch
    Yes.

Run it active or passively highpassed at ~1 kHz.

Let us know how that works for you....
    - Though you've just said as much ;

- I'm not sure if people actually understand that the schematic is strictly a HF compensation/contour network ( ie; it still needs a HighPass crossover put in front of it .

- BTW; once a 2-pole hipass is put in front of this filter /that 2 mH coil is largely redundant ( or least it's value should be reworked to move it into a more active filtering zone so to speak / if desired ).

><

jlharden
    Thank you Zilch, will definitely let you know how it works out!

Earl ~ yes, thanks. Filtering will be active, so I assume the 2mh coil value will be valid without the interaction of reactive components?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerrod
    Earl ~ yes, thanks. Filtering will be active,
    -You're welcome !

Quote Originally Posted by Jerrod
    snip,,,,so I assume the 2mh coil value will be valid without the interaction of reactive components? ,
    - I'm not sure what you just asked / but / with or without a passive HP in front of the Lpad, my sims ( & calcs ) show that the 2 mH coil actively filters below the 400hz area ( its' 3 db down point is in the neighbourhood of plus 90 hz .
    - Being a single-pole filter ( thus sloppy ), its effects reaches as high as 400 to 500 hz .
    - & FWIW, the Lpad in GTs' filter, blocks most interaction with the passive elements that might be placed on opposing sides of (said) pad .

- Would I include the 2 mH coil ( if I were to use this filter ) ? Likely not, because even though I biamp my Altec horns / I use passive HP filtering after the amp . I do use an inline passive line level filter before the amp ( & coincidentally, it filters in about the same area as the 2 mH coil in question ).
    - I'd likely move this coil out in front of the pad & then place a 26 uF cap ( or so ) in front of everything/ and then find a way to utilize the "bump-filter" that I had just created ( ie; to help me lower my lowpass crossover point ).

>< cheers

ps ; BTW, look further up wihin this thread at 4313Bs implementation of a similar bump-filter on a waveguide that had a 476Be mounted to it .

Actively crossed, I'd just put a protection cap in front. You can see there's not much response capability left in this combination below where 15 uF rolls it off.

I'm seeing +/- 1 dB there, and if that's representative of how a bunch of 2435HPLs perform with this waveguide, I THINK I'd let it be, unless and until proven otherwise....

Actively crossed, I'd just put a protection cap in front. You can see there's not much response capability left in this combination below where 15 uF rolls it off.
    - I'm guessing the "15 uF" references this FR graph . I agree the addition of the 15uF cap gives a better looking curve and your lowQ parallel notch-filter nicely fixes the response above 3K .

I'm seeing +/- 1 dB there, and if that's representative of how a bunch of 2435HPLs perform with this waveguide, I THINK I'd let it be, unless and until proven otherwise....
    IME;
    - Once a DC blocking cap is put into place ( DC-biased ? hopefully ) / one might as well go all the way and make that cap part of the HP network filtering ( which you've done with the 15 uF cap ) .
    - The next step ( if its' position remains the same ) is to reduce the size of that 2 mH coil ( bringing its' filtering curve into the 800 hz range ) . I did that this morning with a mockup of this filter / a .56 mH coil still didn't have a huge effect on the response ( of a 2431H on a PT-F64 / or a H5038 ) / the resulting curve when both poles are engaged this way - is "banana like" / or Bessel-looking .

ps#1 ; Here's the ARTA look-see . This is with the GT padding / a 22uF cap / the coil in question / & my own passive EQ .

ps#2 ; Here's the voltage drive with the coil in place behind the pad.

ps#3 ; Here's the schematic that I used ( including extra parts ) .

I'm no crossover/filter guru, clearly. Giskard provided the Timbers H4338 filter, I tweaked it a bit for H9800, and then again for PT-H1010, the hard way, using response measurements. This is the first time I've run it with PT-H95HF, and it appears to work well, though I've not set up to listen to it.

The 15 uF was Giskard's suggestion for a rudimentary highpass somewhere along the path, and RobH has worked with the compensation portion to adjust the overall attenuation, which is substantial. I haven't dug into that, but I believe the parsing points the way.

It's been two years since I worked with this to a chorus of yawns, but there now seems to be more interest in DIY using 243x and PT waveguides, so it may be time for a fresh look. If it may be said that there was/is an underlying theme to what I have done, it has been a quest for turnkey approaches which anyone can build. I appreciate that's inconsistent with others' perspectives as to purposes here, and somewhat less that optimum by the highest standards, perhaps, but for the majority who don't have the capability to do custom design, a worthy pursuit, in my view. It's unlikely that anyone will ever build another H4348/SK2-1000 clone, but there are certainly plenty of DIYers presently enjoying the pleasures of EconoWave, the roots of which are most assuredly here on LHF.

This has been an retrospective interlude; I return you now to our regular programming.

Edit:
    O.K., I'll take a quick look at PT-H64 and PT-F64 with the two filters here, then....

Thread Information