Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Anything new on 2435HPL horn compatability/implementation?

jlharden
    Hi pos,

Thanks for the links. Well, I've got two pairs of conical midhorns here loaded with JBL 2123 drivers. I've previously used these in several projects and they are exceptional from 300hz to 1.2-1.5k. This would make a great three or four way design, but also begin to take over the room as most of my projects do!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jerrod_harden/

http://www.hawthorneaudio.com/photos....php?cat=10028

A primary goal of this round was to balance the look/size of the speaker to the new room without sacrificing the sound. Maybe even better sonics in a simpler package?.....I will wait to play with those midhorns, as I already know what I'm missing!

Jerrod
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Nice!!

How does the 10" sounds in this horn compared to simply using it "baffle-loaded" ?

Maybe you could use the 2123H without horn?

Rob does so with a 2435/PT over it :

jlharden
    I could certainly attain more uniform frequency response with the 2123 running 250hz to 1-1.5k

I don't want to go much higher physically with the cabinets though. I could place the 2123 beside the PT, but don't know how bad that will skew vertical response. A trade-off is eminent I suppose. I have a few ideas to play with. Also have some Audax PR170MO's.........

maybe you could build a dog box inside your current corner box.
    0.2cu ft could be enough for the 2123

sommething like this:

jlharden
    Hi pos,

I'd thought of that, but thanks for the cool visual! That would probably be the best bet. Not sure if I'm ready to hack on the new cabs yet though! I've been playing with a bunch of dsp crossover setups and active compensation for the 2435/PT and will likely be adding a midrange driver or selecting a horn/driver that will xo lower. Going from 3 and 4-way designs to a 2-way is more compromising than I remember......

Quote Originally Posted by jlharden View Post
    Going from 3 and 4-way designs to a 2-way is more compromising than I remember......
    I'm not getting where you're expecting the midrange frequencies up to 1 kHz to be coming from presently. Reflections off the corner walls?

That's not happening I wouldn't think.... :dont-know

jlharden
    Hi Zilch,

Similar commercial designs have been implemented in a two-way format, though I can't say how successfully....You are correct that response is suffering above 300 hz or so. I've kludged the 2123J drivers alongside the PT waveguides, and am now ironing out the networks. I may throw the 077's in the mix, for a 4-way plus dedicated subs. No matter how hard I try, I prefer more drivers with less contouring than minimal drivers with too much response correction.

jlharden
    Hey Zilch,

You mentioned using the 2435HPL's with PT-H95HF's. For compensation, did you use this filter? Thanks for your insight.

Jerrod

That's my CC implementation of the Timbers filter.

I don't recall what I used with PT-H95HF; it was two brief trials, most likely before that entered the domain, even.

Yes, I could try it for you, but that'll have to wait. The tax man cometh here....

4313B did use the PT-H95HF in a 2 way design, maybe you can ask him to share is filter design with you?

jlharden
    Zilch,

That would be great! I'd love to keep this as simple as possible. Doing the compensation with parametric eq doesn't seem "right". The passive compensation circuits look like a better route.

Jerrod

jlharden
    Hi pos,

Thanks for that, I will try to get some information.

Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
    4313B did use the PT-H95HF in a 2 way design, maybe you can ask him to share is filter design with you?
    PT-F, as I recall....

jlharden
    I haven't heard anything from 4313B yet, and may just build the networks and see what happens. I wonder if anyone has modeled the circuit in spice to see how component values alter the response correction? I'm not versed enough in spice to set this one up, so it may be a real "trial and error" exercise!

Thread Information