Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Anything new on 2435HPL horn compatability/implementation?

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    800 Hz means 2352, probably.

That's a stretch for the driver, as well, but it'll get there....
    Well that 2352's just a bit too insanely large even for my extremely understanding better half
    So I could well be selling off my 2235's though they do seem fine crossed over at 900-950hz to these ears at least.....stuck.
    Cooky

jlharden
    The larger 2352's would actually match pretty well with my bass cabinets. I was thinking 511B's before I took the plunge on the 2435HPL's and sized the width of cabinets accordingly. So physical size not being an issue, how would the 2352's compare sonically to the recommended PT waveguides? I missed the boat on the tent sale. Suppose anyone has any 2352's for sale or trade? I do have a few things I could swap.....

Quote Originally Posted by cooky1257 View Post
    Well that 2352's just a bit too insanely large even for my extremely understanding better half
    Poo.

Stick this pic on the 'Fridge:

So I could well be selling off my 2235's though
    Hello Cooky

You are in the same boat I am still in. I wanted to do a 2 way with them but couldn't find a suitable horn to get me down to 8-900hz. That is one of the reasons I tried one of those LEAP experiments. I too can't do a 2352 either, too damn big.

I ended up going with a 3 way using the PTH1010, 2108 and 121A woofer. In my active set-up I use the same horn using 2123's for the mids. The passive set-up is crossed over at 1.2K the active at 1.5K both of which these PT's can do very well.

You may want to consider going with a 3 way in the interim. That's what I did. With all the bad press these drivers seem to get running them out with no tweeter it is simply not all that bad. Some people seem to be sensitive to it, others are not.

The key is to start with them rolled off and bring them up a little at a time. Your reach a point where they sound just about right and you leave them there. I will admit they are not the end all and be all from 10-20K but for the rest of it, what they do right, more than makes up for it.

As a temporary solution it's not at all going to drive you out of the room screaming. You could also drop an 077 up there and just let them roll off if you want. I would not sell off the 2235's just yet. Sooner or later a decent horn will show up.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    With all the bad press these drivers seem to get running them out with no tweeter
    Is the bad press from anyone that actually matters?

Thought not...

Who sits on axis anyways?

jlharden

2381 bi-radial?

Anyone used the 2381? Presumably, the 2380 shell with a 1.5" throat? Could be a stepping stone for someone who can't tolerate the size of the 2352, though perhaps more limited in its capabilities.

Have a look at the specs and compare

http://www.jblpro.com/catalog/suppor...=887&doctype=3

Quote Originally Posted by jlharden View Post
    Anyone used the 2381?
    Yeah, me:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...381#post148612

jlharden
    Thanks for the 2381 links. Looks like they perform much better on a horizontal than vertical axis. I wonder how critical it is when all listening is done in a fixed location of nominal size? For uniform coverage and response the big waveguides do look like the best bet. I'm not sure why I've resisted them. You can lead a horse to water......

Just for fun......it does seem the 1.5" exit drivers have minimal options available for them, yet there is a small group that embraces them. What do they do so well, that makes them worth the additional effort? I will soon be able to judge that for myself, but would be interested to hear what qualities characterize these little drivers?

Jerrod

Quote Originally Posted by Jerrod
    Just for fun......it does seem the 1.5" exit drivers have minimal options available for them, yet there is a small group that embraces them. What do they do so well, that makes them worth the additional effort? I will soon be able to judge that for myself, but would be interested to hear what qualities characterize these little drivers?
    That seems like a lot of words to say ;

Quote Originally Posted by me
    [ a paraphrase by Earl K]
    - There a few horns available for JBLs' new drivers , so why should I bother ?
    Because, once properly implemented ( EQed ), JBLs' newer drivers sound better than their older drivers .

>, cheers

jlharden
    Thank you Earl! Simply stated. I'm now excited to get them going!

Jerrod

jlharden
    Okay, studying the various PT waveguides. It seems the 90 x 50 would best match the directivity of the corner loaded bass cabinets. Ceiling are 8 1/2 feet tall, and each speaker is 12' or so from the listening position. I'm looking at the PT-H95, but can't see where anyone has used them, only the rectanglular F version. Is there anything that detracts from this models performance compared to the others? I'm most interested in the larger waveguides and would like to keep the crossover point as low as practical. Any thoughts on how the PT-H95 might compare to the other models?

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by jlharden View Post
    I'm looking at the PT-H95, but can't see where anyone has used them, only the rectanglular F version.
    That's where you fit in. Buy a pair, implement them and then post your results after you're done.

Welcome to DIY.

Is there anything that detracts from this models performance compared to the others?
    It's very deep vs. the comparable PT-F version, and as such seems to depend more
    on a diffraction-like section to obtain dispersion vs. the PT-F which is a more 'open'
    design (if less controlled, pattern-wise). Whether you like one over the other will depend
    on your requirements and preference. There are posts here showing plots of OA-series
    drivers on both types and comments, FWIW. If you can't find them, I can run more.

Thread Information