Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Question JBL Paragon

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    "Standard of Proof"??
    In THIS place??
    Take it up with Maron ...
    I just answered the question you asked ...
    I only asked the question after you made the statement claiming Paragon's have been reproduced.

I seem to recall reading the same statements, that they were cloned but when pictures or more info was requested the poster was M.I A.

Heather don't take this the wrong way but just because something is repeated numerous times does not make it true or factual.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    I only asked the question after you made the statement claiming Paragon's have been reproduced.

Heather don't take this the wrong way but just because something is repeated numerous times does not make it true or factual.
    How cynical do you want to get about this, pilgrim ...?

This is the internet - even in these forums you can't tell if your conversation is with a bona fide person, a sock puppet or just a troll ...

Some long term members may suffer if you require photo evidence when they claim to have owned something, or to have built something ...
    and photos can be stolen or photoshopped ... are you SURE that cat in my Avatar is mine?

Where do you want the line?

If I had said "Maron claimed to have built a Paragon," thats pretty confrontational and tends to shut down friendly conversation ...
    I figured saying he built one and providing a link to where he said he did served the same effect without being so aggressive about it ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

... but when pictures or more info was requested the poster was M.I A.
    After I got no response on my first posting in this forum (601 views until now) I decided to do it my way.
    The result is UGLY - Glen compared it with FRANKENSTEIN's work .

But it sounds GREAT!

I could not resist.

I can definitivly state that Paragons (plural) have been built out side of the JBL factory.

I know where two of them reside.Unfortunatly the woodworker (Leroy) has passed away and taken the build secrets with him.

Leroy was Hal Coxs woodworker and made both Hartsfields and Paragons.

There have been numerious claims of building and I have seen some rather unusual build attempts at the Paragon.

Not an easy enclosure to duplicate.60 some pages of plans as I recall. I"ll have to look.

And remember plans dont tell you how to build them.

Oldmics

[quote=Oldmics;243859

There have been numerious claims of building and I have seen some rather unusual build attempts at the Paragon.
    Oldmics[/quote]

I hear what your saying, I hope Heather is listening. I mean cloning a Paragon is not as simple as cloning a basic box which is what a 43XX system is.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmics View Post

Not an easy enclosure to duplicate.60 some pages of plans as I recall. I"ll have to look.

And remember plans dont tell you how to build them.

Oldmics

How cynical do you want to get about this, pilgrim ...?

Where do you want the line?

Well how bout the truth.

You seem to realize there are some tall tales on internet forums yet you have no problem repeating these tales. I think your heart is in the right place but perhaps you should be a little more laid back in regurgitating these stories.

are you SURE that cat in my Avatar is mine?
    I would say YES, as I have seen him or her quite a few times in your other pictures over the years that you have posted on this forum.

I could not resist.
    You forgot the plant

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

I hear what your saying, I hope Heather is listening. I mean cloning a Paragon is not as simple as cloning a basic box which is what a 43XX system is.
    never thought or said it was a basic box ... never said it was a cloned 43xx system ... where are you getting the words you assume from me?

Back in the late 70s a friend of mine was apprenticed to be a cabinet maker. One of his tasks was to learn steam-forming curved surfaces - a non-simple skill to master that involved building up surfaces on a curve. I saw him build a project that's like a birds claw to hold a geode - it involved curved strips that were later carved in three dimensions. For another project he build a curved headboard - it was somewhat like building a barrel. Interesting stuff and he was in his early 20s when he studied these skills.

I've praised the folks like Reissen, mac and John for their vision and skills ... I do have some concept of the skills involved, and never underestimated them. I have no cabinet making skills myself and never claimed to ... but I did work as a machinist, 70-74 so I have some familiarity with tools and such concepts (bridgeport mill, turret lathe, that kind of thing).

I took folks at their word when they said they had done such a thing. Why suspect them?
    Give them the benefit ... From this basic courtesy you have piled all kinds of things on me that don't belong ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

Way too much energy spent on this silliness ...

Obsolete
    I took folks at their word when they said they had done such a thing. Why suspect them?
    Give them the benefit ... From this basic courtesy you have piled all kinds of things on me that don't belong ...
    Way too much energy spent on this silliness ...
    Agreed.

... are you SURE that cat in my Avatar is mine?
    Hold on... this isn't a self portrait?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Can an average guy build a Paragon clone...?

Maybe not, but many, many people have the skills to do it. While the curved panel is going to be a bit tricky, I suggest the carved front legs are the hardest part and there are numerous people who carve gun stocks. If they can carve a gun stock they can carve a Paragon leg. It just takes patience... and sense enough to master it with a cheaper wood first.

Widget

Thread Information