Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Italian speaker company

If the HIFI consumer market became too short,why didn't they enter the home audio-video market with good stuff and not with the tiny speaker they sell?

Um..........

Actually.

I really think marketing thought they could get away with it because they had the three almighty letters, JBL!

Make cheap, priced to sell items, from a company with a big name, and sell tons of volume.

jbl
    I feel that once a non-audio company like Beatrice Foods bought into JBL, the "thinking" of audio was replaced with the bottom line of the over all parent company. It's the same old story of showing the stock holders a profit before being concerned about the existing companys reputition. I don't believe that the market for DIY and pro audio has dried up. The "knock-off" companys may have had some effect on JBL's sales, but I still believe that most people would rather spend a little more for the real thing. I know I would.

Maron Horonzakz
    Look what happened to Altec when they didnt follow the market.

Obsolete
    Who is this "Altec" everyone keeps mentioning?

Originally posted by Giskard
    Who is this "Altec" everyone keeps mentioning?
    Giskard!!
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Obsolete
    Yes Bo?

Slow friday, hey...?
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Maron Horonzakz
    Did i commit a SIN?

Alex Lancaster

Smile

Actually, when Beatrice-times, (early 80īs), JBL was really commited, maybe when the re-purchase, things got worse.

DIY and Pro markets.....

Originally posted by jbl
    I feel that once a non-audio company like Beatrice Foods bought into JBL, the "thinking" of audio was replaced with the bottom line of the over all parent company. It's the same old story of showing the stock holders a profit before being concerned about the existing companys reputition. I don't believe that the market for DIY and pro audio has dried up. The "knock-off" companys may have had some effect on JBL's sales, but I still believe that most people would rather spend a little more for the real thing. I know I would.
    The DIY and Pro markets have done anything but dry up! especially the pro market, they are spending tons of money on gear!

The "Audio " companies keep telling us " Oh, no one wants that anymore " but I dont feel its true! Remember the late 80,s and early 90,s? They ( audio companies ) told us how bad horns were, and that no one wanted horns anymore! Look at what a rusurgence horn loaded cabinetry has made. And almost every manufacturer offers horn loaded or waveguide midrange and bass! Wonder why, after all its obsolete! Anybody ever see the horn speakers from a company called Avant garde? And they have a very expensive " Audiophile " folded horn subwoofer!

Maybe Im nuts, me and my very high efficiency love affair, but then all the drivers I loved disappeared from the market! Again being told nobody wants this anymore! However, European manufacturers must see something American manufacturers dont!

Then came the " Digital Revolution ", and once again we were told Analog is obsolete, and no one wants it anymore! Seems like no one really wants the DSP processors being offered up as the " Holy Grail of Audio "! And analog audio is very much alive and well!

Then, lets just look at our own little group right here! 2235,s, 2440, and 2441,s. Guys like Widget making stellar wood copies of JBL 2397,s. E-145 lovers, and the legend of the 150-4C! L-300,s and JBL,s studio monitors, no longer made, etc, etc!

Lets be real, were all into the same thing, good sounding gear, and speakers. And JBL could do it these days if they wanted too! And just for the record, I would have kept my spending in our economy if the manufacturers had what I wanted. I believe in that! But what to do when what you get from across the pond is better than what you get here? Kind of like the Auto industry? No?

Last edited by scott fitlin; 06-04-2004 at 03:18 PM.

RIP 2009
    The DIY and Pro markets have done anything but dry up!
    And JBL has done anything but give up on the Pro market, at least as far as the tour stuff goes. The problem is, they don't normally sell the components in those, and you won't find the component specs published anywhere... I'd love to see the actual tech specs on their differential drive subs, their new 8" mids, HF drivers, horns, etc...

John

Ill tell ya what!

I got to hear JBL subs today powered by the NEW Crown I-Tech 4000. JBL 2242,s I might add! You know, the superwoofer. And I have heard these things sound really good!

I listened with an open mind, and thought lets see what they have created!

NOT MY MONEY!
    Last edited by scott fitlin; 06-04-2004 at 06:44 PM.

RIP 2009
    JBL 2242,s I might add!
    I was thinking more along the lines of the 2256G - Xmax of 20.3mm and Fs of 24.2. I'm wondering how it compares to the Sub1500? And I've seen very little technical info on their neodymium 243XXX series of 1.5" HF drivers. I'm just wondering how some of this stuff would sound if put in serious studio or home cabinets with appropriate passive/active crossovers and EQ...

John

Thread Information