Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 18" Altec "cinema woofer"

JBL 4645
    What’s with the bottle of NOS is that to boast the sub bass.

Quote Originally Posted by baldrick View Post
    As you can see here, it's foam:

But it doesn't look the same as it normally does on JBL so I'm a bit concerned to use the same, but since I can't find any who seels the correct one, I guess I will need to give it a try with the foam for JBL.

I talked to the owner yesterday so now it's oficially mine (even though I havne't picked it up yet), and the best thing was the price, I got it for free They were just glad to get rid of it

You can order the original cone ,spyder etc. kit at Great Plains Audio.It's better if you call.

http://www.greatplainsaudio.com/

Quote Originally Posted by CONVERGENCE View Post
    You can order the original cone ,spyder etc. kit at Great Plains Audio.It's better if you call.

http://www.greatplainsaudio.com/

You see how bad I write english, imagine how bad I talk But if I don't get any answers soon, maybe I'll have to give it a try anyway.. It would be great if they have it!

I finally got this beat home today, and man are this thing huge and ugly
    The good news is that the foam was better than I imagined and I also found a recone kit for it, the bad news is that it was even bigger and uglier than I remered

Since I returned the QSC amp I was planning to use I don't have any amps for it now so I haven't tried it, but I'll borrow something tomorrow and aslo take some pictures of it

And here it is next to a SVS PB12Plus/2. Suddenly the SVS looks kind of small

I have only played it for a few minutes and the first impression is quite good! It sounds totally differnet than my modified SVS, both in good and bad ways.

But I need to use it more before I can conclude with anything

That looks great! It's in better shape than I imagined.

The box looks shabby and the foam is not very good, but playable, at least for a while.

After a couple of hours with music, I`m very impressed with this monster! It sound real good, much better than I thought it would! It "integrates" very well the 250ti and is very musical!

I still havent tried it for the main purpose, movies... but hopefully it does just as good job there, and it should since it`s mainly made for movie use

Foaming at the mouth

Bad news, It turns out I'm in the market for a refoam kit as well.
    After two years of baking in the heat in their new home in Muscat, Oman (where the outside temperature can top 50degree C), the foam on my 3182's has bit the dust (literally and figuratively). I was listening them tonight and heard major distortion, and investigation revealed major destruction around the circumference on this twenty six year old loudspeaker. (the other unit is just starting to decay). Everything else is intact, so if I can find some new foam, I'm going to try and retrofit it. Otherwise it's a full recone for both sides

So tell me Baldrick, where did you get your recone kit after all?
    P.S. sorry for not replying to the private post, since moving to Oman, I have been so busy I rarely go on the web anymore, I only found this post tonight when I used Google to try and see if there were any recone kits for 3182's…….
    Jack Bouska
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I didn't end up with a recone after all, the woofer was in better shape than I thought so I'm still useing it. It's missing a bit of aprox 1 cm but that's it. I did find recone for it here in Norway actually, at the Norwegian importer, but I think he only had one left.

I will get a pair of 2245H hopefully next week, so I will than be replacing the 3182 with those I guess.

But if you find foams for the 3182 please tell us because I know a guy with a pair of 3182 that is even worse then yours

Thread Information