Thread: E-140 Cabinet

JonFairhurst

E-140 Cabinet

I've got a couple E-140 speakers that I'd like to use for bass guitar / keyboard speakers. I have a four string bass, so I don't need deep extension, but for keyboards, it would be nice to go reasonably deep. I want the cabs as small and light as possible for travel, and I will make them separate (for stereo keys) and stackable (for bass).

Looking at the JBL tech sheet, they recommend 4.0 cu ft @ 40 Hz, but the low-end droop is pretty bad. I'm thinking of going with 2.7 cu ft @ 68 Hz. It stays pretty flat, though not so deep, and should have good punch. Two three inch vents should do the trick.

The inner dimensions would be 19.5" x 16.5" x 14.5".

For bass speakers, I'm done. For keys I'd want some high-end. Any recommendations for a high-frequency setup? I tend to play with friends in family rooms, rather than on stage, so I don't need gobs of SPLs. I've been using a Peavey 50W x 2 tube amp bridged through an old EV 12" without problems.

My 4430 replicas do fine at home, but they're way too heavy and precious to haul around town.

Tom Loizeaux
    I tried an E140 in a 3.5 cu.ft. cabinet (tuned to around 50Hz) and was disapointed in the lack of low end...but then I'm a fanatic for deep electric bass bottom.
    I use a JBL K140 w/ 5" mid in one cabinet and parallel a Gauss 5840 in a 4.5 cu.ft. cabinet (tuned to 40Hz) now as my main bass cabinet set-up. It thumps your chest and cuts each note clearly. I doubt that a pair of E140s in small cabinets will quite do this.

Tom
    Last edited by Tom Loizeaux; 05-22-2004 at 08:23 AM.

Thread Information