Thread: L88-1 with Dynaco ST-70?

L88-1 with Dynaco ST-70?

Hello,
    I have an opportunity to get some L88s that I plan to use w/ a Dynaco ST-70. I found the tech manual of the L88s and saw that they have sensitivity of 76db. Is this going to be a problem paired with an 35 per channel amp?
    Total noob at this and seeking speaker advise so whatever knowledge anyone can share is appreciated.
    I'm hunting for some speakers and I'd want to make the right choice (JBL, of course!).
    Thanks.

There are others on this forum who are far more knowledgeable than me, but I'll give you my take. I've been powering a set of L100s (which I believe have the same woofer and tweeter as L88s but have an added midrange) with a 35wpc Sansui receiver since they were new. No problems whatsovever. The L100s were rated at a max of "50wpc continuous sine wave" but JBL also stated (actually, recommended) that you could run them with a quality amp of up to 150wpc peak power. The L88s (and my L100s) would sound better with even more power but 35wpc should be fine.

No problem, I ran a set of L88s with a Fisher receiver of indeterminate power, but certainly less than 35 wpc and they were great. You will have a nice stereo set up with these components.

Hmmm....you guys have given me something to think about. I had basically took these out of the equation but it sounds like it shouldn't be a problem.
    The only down side is they aren't really available for me to demo.

Thanks for replies.

Quote Originally Posted by Salad View Post
    Hmmm....you guys have given me something to think about. I had basically took these out of the equation but it sounds like it shouldn't be a problem.
    The only down side is they aren't really available for me to demo.

Thanks for replies.
    Some times you just have to dive in and find out that way.

The Dynaco ST-70 is a keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Salad View Post
    Hello,
    I have an opportunity to get some L88s that I plan to use w/ a Dynaco ST-70. I found the tech manual of the L88s and saw that they have sensitivity of 76db. Is this going to be a problem paired with an 35 per channel amp?
    Total noob at this and seeking speaker advise so whatever knowledge anyone can share is appreciated.
    I'm hunting for some speakers and I'd want to make the right choice (JBL, of course!).
    Thanks.
    I use mine on my horns on the Altec model 19's. Shweeeeeet!I would prefer the original EL34 Mullard power tubes if they are in them. They go for over $200 alone on Ebay

Those speakers are very insensitive. If you don't want to listen to "very loud" levels, you'll be fine...but read this to get a fuller understanding of amplifier power, speaker sensitivity and listening levels: http://knol.google.com/k/alan-lofft/...zplfibt16km/2#

76dB at what distance and input level? (presume 1w or 2.83V, but older specs
    are often not at 1m distance if you're making system spec comparisons).

In this case I believe the spec is based on 1w at 15 feet. ... without doing the math,
    I'd guess a comparable number at 1m would at least be in the high 80's dB-wise.

JBL Note: "(75-80dB is a comfortable listening level)" i.e., at 35w, you'd be pushing
    90dB at 15 feet away ... x2 systems ... + room reinforcement ... => pretty darn loud,
    but very dynamic music might cause clipping. If it sounds bad, turn it down.

Yup...76dB at 15 feet with 1 watt input. I also believe the power capacity for these speakers is 35 watts. You should be able to get around the mid 90's at full power in a listening room...plenty loud as grumpy says. Just don't expect concert grand piano, full symphony orchestra or rock concert at real life (very loud as in head-banging) levels.

P.S. I use 30 watt tube amps on a speaker system that is around 91dB at 15 feet with 1 watt input.

I have a set of L88s

They are used as my surround speakers in my 5.0 system, my AV receiver has 110 watts/channel.
    As far as power is concerned per JBL; an amp that goes into clipping can cause more damage than than a higher powered amp that never goes into clipping. John

an amp that goes into clipping
    at a lower perceived volume level

can cause more damage than than a higher powered amp that never goes into clipping.
    Both can kill a driver or crossover component. Both also usually require ignoring
    audible or visual signs of amp or speaker stress, extreme misapplication, or use of
    perception altering substances.

In general, I wouldn't get too cocky regarding an A/V receiver's rated power per
    channel as they -usually- suck juice from the same power supply. Some (possibly
    yours) do better in this regard, but most 'cheat' on the spec and use a 2-channels-
    driven figure... 110w (spec) can turn into 35w (measured) pretty quickly.

That will make one pretty decent set-up, SPL @ 1 m should be in the 86-88 Db range... I too believe that the 76 Db is measured at 15 ft. as were many speakers of this vintage... Irregardless, they will only need 1-10 watts for normal listening levels and as is discussed more wattage can never hurt as long as you don't turn your amp up too loud .

All in all I prefer the L88's to the L100's, a little less colored and more balanced overall.. as were most JBL 2-ways.. Although those vertically aligned L100's were quite good..

Do they have the expansion opening to add some LE5 mids? If so, you could add them one-day and find out which way you prefer... but you got a pretty darned good system as is... good luck, and happy listening!
    JBL L15
    Parting Out>>JBL Athena S99

Thread Information