Thread: Easy re coning

Easy re coning

Wouldnt it be good if JBL did it this way......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMFmz...eature=related

I would not call it "reconing" more like removal and replacement of the cone assembly.
    One step above: "Two Tin Cans and a String!"
    Longtime Alaskan Low-Fi Guy - E=MC˛ ±3db

But how brilliant! Onsite repair in 10 minutes or so. No waiting for glue to dry either.

Allan.

I did a Peavey 14" driver just as easy. Took all of 10 minutes.
    Why buy used when you can build your own?

I have 4 McCauley 6256 18" drivers that use the Field Repairable basket, wherein you unbolt the magnet off of one basket/cone assembly, and onto a new basket assembly.

The only problem I have with this arrangement is A. Cost of the replacement basket/cone, B. Throwing away the old basket and cone assembly.

I wish I could find replacement baskets for them easily and cheaply, but at $300 each... no.

Anybody want some McCauley magnets? I have 6.

Scott.
    One step above: "Two Tin Cans and a String!"
    Longtime Alaskan Low-Fi Guy - E=MC˛ ±3db

Composite Vs. paper cones?

That is an interesting design.

Can anyone comment on JBLs decision to continue manufacturing most of their drivers using paper cones when many other companies seem to use only composite materials.

I would think that composite materials would have advantages including being lighter and more stiff.

Thx.

Hi Scott,
    If you look closely, well not that close, the IDMAX system only gets rid of what you would normally get rid of in a re-cone. Surround, cone, spider. The terminals are the only extra part. Very economical.

As for paper versus composite, I would have to say that if paper does the job why change it? I have speakers here that use some type of plastic but they are super high power so they need to be strong. Everyone else has used carbon, aluminium, kevlar, and the list goes on. JBL do of course make other cone systems as well as paper but they obviously have a good reason for it. Maybe one of the senior members could chime in......Giskard, Widget.......

Allan.

That's a quick way of changing a cone. It's fair easy to change the design a bit, so the terminals don't have to be wasted either. I wouldn't be surprised if they need to transplant them from the old to the new cone. (it's only a matter of a few screws)

From my experience paper has a large self-dampening capacity. low 2nd and 3rd harmonics and most important; natural sounding, which makes it relative ideal for mid-range. A kevlar/aluminium cone is not neccesarely stiffer than a paper one either.

With allmost all aluminum cones, you can see a high harmonic distortion at ~1.5-5 khz.

Paper, to begin with, is very stiff. With the aquaplass as JBL uses it on most of their cones paper becomes in fact very stiff.

We had a show here, which was about weird bets; that showed how an entire train was pulled forward with only 1 tiny stamp. Paper looks weak, but it's not elastic.

For several years horn system builder Dr. Bruce Edgar shared space with Image Dynamics in a large building in Gardena, CA. I recognize the voice of the narrator in the video. Most of their components came from China, but the driver assembly was done in Gardena. Whenever I stopped by to see Bruce I would take a minute to see what the Image Dynamics folks were working on. Often they would be in the middle of some monster car installation for a trade show in addition to their assembly line production work.

Thread Information