Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dvd players with sacd

dvd players with sacd

Hello I have a post already-[ help good cd player]. my question now, is there a dvd player that plays sacd and sound as good as a single sacd player. I really dont know should I buy a single unit to play cd and a single dvd unit to wacth movies. and please keep in mind 400 to 800 dollars range thanks

Hmm... gets messy. Oppo DV-980H might save you a few bucks... and let
    you ride the techno-wave on the cheap

Quote Originally Posted by dino View Post
    Hello I have a post already-[ help good cd player]. my question now, is there a dvd player that plays sacd and sound as good as a single sacd player. I really dont know should I buy a single unit to play cd and a single dvd unit to wacth movies. and please keep in mind 400 to 800 dollars range thanks
    Have to say - go find an OPPO - they are not top of the line, but they are an exceptional value ...

All you have to do is decide your priority - is audio your top concern, or is it DVDs?

I got one of the DVD priority units an Oppo DV-981HD - 1080p Up-Converting DVD Player (HDMI) about a year ago on a closeout sale and I have to say I am impressed - VERY nice DVD performance , plus it does SACDs, DixV and a lot of other formats ...

I believe the DV-980H model has Audio as its high priority,but it still has HDMI and DVD capability - and it about $170 ... certainly worth a shot!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Marantz VC6001

The Marantz VC6001 a 5 disc player does SACD and dvds, upscales nicely and has HDMI output. I bought one last month online from americansound.com new for $235.00 plus shipping and I'm quite happy with it. Its last years model on clearance. Here in Canada a dealer quoted me $750.00 (cdn). Worth a look at. I realy like loading 5 discs at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Have to say - go find an OPPO - they are not top of the line, but they are an exceptional value ...

All you have to do is decide your priority - is audio your top concern, or is it DVDs?

I got one of the DVD priority units an Oppo DV-981HD - 1080p Up-Converting DVD Player (HDMI) about a year ago on a closeout sale and I have to say I am impressed - VERY nice DVD performance , plus it does SACDs, DixV and a lot of other formats ...

I believe the DV-980H model has Audio as its high priority,but it still has HDMI and DVD capability - and it about $170 ... certainly worth a shot!
    hello I spoke with oppo tech last friday and he told me mid or ending of march there new 983 blue ray dvd player will be release the ony thing hes not sure of yet is the price but he did say it would be between 550 to 600 hundred dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post

audio is my 1st and main concern but I am just trying to see if I can kill to birds with one shot and save some money at the same time.

Hola...Seems to be the general consensus here to check out an Oppo. I have the DV-980 and it does the sonic job with authority. I can't see all that well without my glasses so why buy a Super-Blitzo Turbo-Laser TV or spend $$$ on video chips that I'm unable to utilize. I don't like wearing glasses period! I also have a Marantz PMD 320 player in the rack for recording live music with mixed in CD's. The Oppo makes me happy! And CHEAP!

With SACD players, it's best to approach from the knowledge of whether you want HDMI audio, (PCM or DSD), or multichannel analog audio or stereo analog. Having answered that question, you go find a player that handles that type output the best. The Oppo players have been criticized for the analog sections, but most people don't actually hear any problems. For HDMI audio, if your receiver processes DSD then it doesn't matter what player you use if it can send DSD over HDMI (some cannot). If you need the player to convert DSD to PCM for HDMI out, then that raises questions about the quality of that conversion. Again most people don't hear a difference but for the audio freak it's good to know about. The Oppo 980 covers all those bases, although the stereo analog out might be a bit weak.

The biggest benefit from the Oppo line is the high quality video for DVDs. The new BDP-83 blue-ray player will be top dog for DVD playback, a full-featured BD player and also handle SACD and DVD-A as well as a plethora of file types on USB and disc.

Used Oppo 980s can be had on fleabay for around $100. Used Oppo 983s run around $350 as it is a discontinued player.

Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    With SACD players, it's best to approach from the knowledge of whether you want HDMI audio, (PCM or DSD), or multichannel analog audio or stereo analog. Having answered that question, you go find a player that handles that type output the best. The Oppo players have been criticized for the analog sections, but most people don't actually hear any problems. For HDMI audio, if your receiver processes DSD then it doesn't matter what player you use if it can send DSD over HDMI (some cannot). If you need the player to convert DSD to PCM for HDMI out, then that raises questions about the quality of that conversion. Again most people don't hear a difference but for the audio freak it's good to know about. The Oppo 980 covers all those bases, although the stereo analog out might be a bit weak.

The biggest benefit from the Oppo line is the high quality video for DVDs. The new BDP-83 blue-ray player will be top dog for DVD playback, a full-featured BD player and also handle SACD and DVD-A as well as a plethora of file types on USB and disc.

Used Oppo 980s can be had on fleabay for around $100. Used Oppo 983s run around $350 as it is a discontinued player.
    I think I will wait and try the new oppo 83 blue ray dvd player thanks for your input

Quote Originally Posted by dino View Post
    I think I will wait and try the new oppo 83 blue ray dvd player thanks for your input
    Excellent choice. I've been beta-testing the BDP-83 since last fall. It has screaming good image quality for DVDs on large screens. Impressive in every respect, it only lacks the capability for region-free hacking.

Here's an unofficial FAQ:

http://watershade.net/wmcclain/BDP-83-faq.html

Here's a preliminary owner's manual:

http://www.oppodigital.com/Download/...ish_Manual.pdf

Player should be officially released around April 1 but may be hard to find for a while.

I'll throw something different out there.

Sony DVP NS3100ES

The model is discontinued now but there seem to be a few still available on clearance, usually running around $250 from the original $700. It does a really good job on SACD and CD. It's video upconversion through HDMI is excellent. It is built like a tank and larger than most DVD players. It sounded and looked much better than a Denon universal player I used to have.

On the down side it's a bit slow to recognize discs, not insuferable just slow. SACD is not available through the HDMI output. It won't ever be able to play Blue Ray or DVD-A.

Still for $250 bucks you still get a solid player with a 5 year warranty.

I've been using the analog outputs on one to drive a second system made up of a NAD C372 and a pair of 4430s with a Mackie sub. I'm also using it to play DVDs into a Pioneer PDP-6020. I've been using this thing with different components for years.

Back to back with a dedicated SACD/CD player you'll know it's not the same but listened to by itself it will sound pretty good. I've yet to hear a DVD player with analog outputs that good. Too many compromises.

I'll throw in my $0.02 based upon my experience, and say that the Denon DVD-1920 does a very nice job with DVD's and SACD, as well as offering the different output options discussed in the thread.

It may be worth checking out based upon your needs:
    http://usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/3560.asp

That being said, it appears from the page that my 18 month old model is dated, and the new model is: DVD-1940CI. Can't speak to the changes, though based on the specs, it seems that there's just a few upgrades but the overall platform remains the same...

I can't recommend a specific model, but in general, I would try to find a reasonably priced dedicated SACD/CD player that maximizes the quality of the audio DACS and the audio analog output section, since the reason for getting SACD is the quality of the audio, and you cannot export SACD to an outboard DAC. But I would do that second.

First I would buy a Blu-ray player. That will also play DVD's and CD's. HDMI is not the essential point; get a Blu-ray player, since Blu-ray has become the defacto format for Hi Def video. It will have HDMI output. I recently bought the Pioneer Elite 05 BD player for video. It's audio output seems to be better than my play everything player from a few years ago. It was only about $600-800 (can't remember, exactly). It may be that improvement in DACs, etc, for mainstream players has improved so much that you would be happy with a player like that for awhile until you have saved the money for the SACD player you want.

Unless you have a player for SACD that is clean enough in the analog output section to pass along the SACD audio quality, you will be missing much of the benefit of that format. Play everything players, especially an inexpensive one, will probably not really do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave View Post
    Play everything players, especially an inexpensive one, will probably not really do the job.
    That is my feeling as well... some seem so enamored with price that actual performance is rather secondary. Personally I am still waiting to find an affordable SACD player or CD player that sounds half way decent. An excellent analog section is simply too expensive or elusive for most manufacturers.

I do have high hopes for this one though: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...1&postcount=14

Widget

The new TOTL Hi end Pioneer Blue Ray Player might be worth a look...not cheap though.

Thread Information