Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JBL- Walnut Oil

fredmarantz

JBL- Walnut Oil

Does anybody on this forum know if this oil still is available??

I bought my Original 4333A in 1976 and this can of Original JBL was delivered with them. I have maintained my 4333's with it since.

Does anybody know if it's available or if not - what would be the closest receipee - product.

Please look at the scanned pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Steve Gonzales

Herman Miller,

The high-end designer furniture manufacturer, sends out small cans of "Gunstock Oil" for periodic refreshing of the finish on its oiled rosewood and walnut products such as Eames chairs and tables. It's darker than some others.

Forumites have had good results with Watco Danish Oil finish, though I hate the smell of that stuff. It dissipates after about a month or so, tho.

Also, Flecto Varathane's "Natural Oil" works nicely. A light amber color.

The key to all of these is to wipe off excess oil before it dries if you want that JBL standard dry-appearance "flat" finish....

Steve Gonzales

Patina

If you want to mantain the patina Mr. Zilch is correct. Watco is a wonderful, albeit, "smelly" product. Miniwax has a wood specific product called conditioning/finishing wax that when applied generously and let sit in 68-76 degree ambient temp for approx 1.5hrs, can be "burnished" to deliver a gorgeous "matte" luster while conditioning the wood.

BTW: Kool Kan!

Smile

I recall JBL having printed instructions for the L100s that described how to formulate a "cocktail" for preserving the wood and its finish. I don't have it in front of me, but it seems like it was equal parts turpentine and linseed oil. I kept a jar of this stuff around for years and gave the L100s a good rejuvenation annually. I haven't done it for about a decade now--guess I should.

Does this formula ring a bell?
    Out.

Dwight
    The ingredients listed on the can "5% toluene, 20% napatha, 75% mineral spirts are all readily available products to the public. This formula is a standard one that us finishers mix with UTC (ultra tinting colors) to make glazes. One of my associates, Pat Kelly, worked @ JBL in the finishing dept. during the early 70's and confirms they used this extensively on consumer product lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight
    The ingredients listed on the can "5% toluene, 20% napatha, 75% mineral spirts are all readily available products to the public. This formula is a standard one that us finishers mix with UTC (ultra tinting colors) to make glazes. One of my associates, Pat Kelly, worked @ JBL in the finishing dept. during the early 70's and confirms they used this extensively on consumer product lines.
    Those are just the solvents. They don't mention what oils they are blending with the solvents. Maybe there was a law that required listing 100% of the solvents in products or something like that. If you wipe your cabinets down with that mixture it will clean them and brighten them but the "glow" will fade when the mineral spirits evaporate.

Widget

Steve Gonzales

Play it again Sam

I would suggest (again) that if you are serious about maintaining your JBL's, and most of us are; do yourself a BIG favor and get some Watco. Try this: if you have another damaged JBL or any other off brand of enclosure ( you know the one that is too good to throw away and too bad for anything else?), do a test, Sand off the old finish in a small area and apply a coat of "Dark Walnut" Watco and wait 5 minutes and then wife it off. Then you won't spend countless hours searching for a solution. Watco is a very good penetrating Danish oil stain, sealer and protectant. What do you have to lose? Post your results

Play it Sam

I'll second the Watco vote.... again! But performance and mileage may vary.

Widget

BTW: Whatever happened to Samtastic anyway? A few pink posts and poof!

fredmarantz

Thanks to all!

Thanks x 1000 to all for the "Walnut -oil" contributions!!

I now might have a brilliant change to get the stuff right. I live in Denmark - we are actually supposed to have this stuff around. I noticed some of you mentioning the word "Danish", so.....

I'll return with my results - but we need to celebrate X-mas & new Year before anything can be done.

Regards

Freddy

Smile

Okay, I got into my files and found the original JBL card that came with my L100s: "Maintaining JBL Furniture Finishes" (Pub. CA10-4, February, 1969).

On the back it describes the procedures for
    OILED FINISHES
    Oiled Walnut (WX), Rosewood (RX0, Danish Teak, etc.

and in the second paragraph it intones:

The cabinet should be rubbed with a mixture of three parts boiled linseed oil and one part pure gum turpentine. Apply a liberal amount of the mixture over the entire finished surface of the enclosure. In ten to fiftenn minutes wipe off the remaining oil with a clean, dry cloth.

So there's the official recommendation from JBL in 1969.
    Out.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Gonzales
    Yes, that's exactly the card I have in my hand at the moment.
    Out.

analogman

Wow!

JBL says use boiled linseed oil and turpentine?! Gee, where have I heard that one before? Hmmm.. sounds familiar. I bet if you change the ratio, and instead of TWO parts boiled linseed oil, substitute one part white vinegar, you would have an excellent CLEANER and conditioner for really filthy cabinets covered with water soluble crud like cigarette smoke scum/film, sticky crap etc. I also bet the turpentine is to speed drying time and remove the greasy contaminates and old wax products that may be present. No need for the vinegar, obviously, if your boxes only need refreshing and not deep cleaning.
    With regards,
    Analogman

Maintaining JBL Enclosure Finishes

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    Yes, that's exactly the card I have in my hand at the moment.
    Got a later version with Casitas Ave on it, this one came from a paragon owner. It only has the size of 96 x 171mm or 3,75 x 6,75" and is printed in what appears to have been J.B.'s favorite colors back then, red on orange.. maybe that is why I couldn't find a proper scan of it here.

So I had to take pics and photoshop them a bit, for future reference.

Greyscale:

(I think softer lighting would really be the key, though)

Thread Information