Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ...Uh..speaking of L100's...Mr. Mcritchie...

As a new member let me just add my random observations:

- Ever since my first post a few weeks ago, I have always felt welcomed. I have spent many many hours reading hundreds of posts on this forum and never read even one post that would have made someone feel unwelcome.

- This forum does have somewhat of a club feel to it. Everyone here shares a common passion for Lansing speakers and history. As in any club there are those members that are more knowledgeable in certain areas than others but all are free to express their opinions.

- I never at any time felt pressured to make a donation. But because I wanted to be member of this fraternity (or is it a sorority) I did make a very humble donation. Actually what got me off my kiester to donate is when i saw the amount of the shortfall.

- I came into this forum as a person with great admiration for the L100's. I own two working pairs and one in restoration (admitting you have a problem is the first step towards recovery). I was 16 when the L100's first came out and to me they epitomized the sound of Rock 'n Roll in the 70's. As a teenager back then, it was THE speaker to have. Because the L100's were about as much as we could afford back then all the other superior monitor series models and the L300 weren't even possibilities for us.

- I know that the L100 gets slammed on this forum but one thing I have noticed is that everyone on the forum recognizes the historical significance of the model. To use an analogy from my line of work: Porsche has produced many models. The 911's (and especially the Turbos) are probably considered the best models in terms of performance. Nothing in the consumer range even comes close. But Porsche over the years has produced other models that were also commercial successes, namely the 356's, 914's and 944's. When I go to Porsche club events, I run into people that hold very deep rooted nostalgic feelings for these older models. Try arguing with a someone who's owned a 914 since 1975 that their Porsche's not a true Porsche. Even though everyone recognizes these models can't come close to matching the performance of a 911 turbo, No one can argue with the historical significance of these earlier models. Folks still hold a soft spot in their hearts for the earlier models. And even though, they may later get a 911, they might still keep their entry level Porsche that they had had for so long.

Just my two cents worth. Keep up the good work guys.

RIP 2009
    Geez, Bo - now you gone and done it...guess I'll have to pony up something myself, ('guilty as charged...).

One thing - I belong to a bunch of online forums, and most of them have a private "members only" forum for paid members only. This is for things like pre-auction listings, vendor discounts, etc., to make it worthwhile to be a member. 'Maybe something like that here to promote paid membership?

John

porschedpm - great post. I too have gone through a marvelous L100 phase, but still love to encourage those who've loved only them to explore the rest of the JBL lineage, particularly the 43xx series. Not that I care, only that it was real eye-opening for me. My ears are just today getting UNwaxed (damned Aussie...), so I look forward to hearing all I've been missing...

And John, I'd worry if we/they made a members/contributors only area, we'd lose the fun of working with some of the newbies and brief visitors here who make us dig into our experience, our libraries and think through projects we might not otherwise have run across.

Now, when's that next L100 luvfest gonna start...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Common John, isn't this thing already the greatest!

Widget

RIP 2009
    Originally posted by Mr. Widget
    Common John, isn't this thing already the greatest!

Widget
    OK, OK - 'guess we leave it up to the conscience...

John

Re: ...Uh..speaking of L100's...Mr. Mcritchie...

Originally posted by BigBamBoom
    Please excuse such a goofy question, but would it be fair to say that JBL manufactured at least a million pairs of L100's??? Probably more than that? I mean....Geezz!! These things are for sale ALL the time.
    Best wishes....Russ
    SO...how many WERE produced?

whitese
    You guys could have escaped all grief if you would have just gotten a pair of L-96's...

bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Hey, if JBL could make a "plus 12" kit (the M12) to make an L88 into an L100, you'd think they could've made a "minus 4" kit, to make the L100 into...

Regards,
    Gordon.

Obsolete
    "You guys could have escaped all grief if you would have just gotten a pair of L-96's..."

You have a point there! I had a custom pair of "Delta's" before the "real deal" even came off the assembly line and have never suffered any grief over it. I've still got all the components for two more pairs sitting in my basement.

"Hey, if JBL could make a "plus 12" kit (the M12) to make an L88 into an L100, you'd think they could've made a "minus 4" kit, to make the L100 into..."

The L112 Century II was the "plus 12 kit" for the L100.

Re: Re: ...Uh..speaking of L100's...Mr. Mcritchie...

Originally posted by sonofagun
    SO...how many WERE produced?
    I was once told, and I can't remember by whom, that there were 200,000 L100's built. This seems to be about right to me. Given that the entire production occurred at the Casitas plant, which had no where near the degree of automation of the later Northridge plant, I don't see how production could have been in the one million range.

Regarding the original posts that raised this issue, I have to admit that I was perplexed by Bigbamboom's actions. To Bo, thank you for the way you handled this incident. Your rationality stands in stark contrast to Bigbamboom's irrational response.

Unfortunately, the reaction of Bigbamboom is not completely isolated. I have had a few people contact me by email to state they are leaving in a huff. Fortunately it has only been a handfull and none of the actions have been attributed to any ongoing problems that have been voiced by anyone esle.

For example, just three weeks ago, someone contacted me stating that they would not use our forum again because I have made it too complicated. He stated that Hewlette Packard has made their forums easy to use and that I must meet their standard if I am to expect anyone use our website. I tried explaining that he was comparing a non profit website with a staff of one to a $50 billion corporation with hundreds of thousands of employees. This carried no weight and the person left in a huff.

My favourite incident involved someone attempting to print out and bind our entire website and couldn't get the pages to fit on standard letter sized paper. I tried to explain that Lansing Heritage is not a book, but a website that is designed to take advantage of its interactive capabilities. I explained that there were work arounds (printing "Landscape" is the easiest). However, he would have none of it. Unless I completely redesigned our 1GB website to meet his printing requirements, he would leave. As much as it was a shock to me, he left.
    Regards

Don McRitchie

behind the curtains

Originally posted by BigBamBoom (edited by HP)
    ............... I'm Off this forum now........I will MISS Lansing Heritage. .......
    well guys........
    the forum lost a "good for 150 bucks donation" member.

But I'm sure that bigboomboom frequently takes a look as a guest...

Hi Russ

HP
    Please help us save more info about the vintage systems. Let us register your speakers and drivers.

Obsolete

Re: Re: Re: ...Uh..speaking of L100's...Mr. Mcritchie...

Originally posted by Don McRitchie
    Regarding the original posts that raised this issue, I have to admit that I was perplexed by Bigbamboom's actions. To Bo, thank you for the way you handled this incident. Your rationality stands in stark contrast to Bigbamboom's irrational response.
    As far as I'm concerned the guy owes Bo $150. He can do the right thing by sending Bo a PM asking where to send the money to. He needs to put his money where his mouth is.

That's about all I can type on the subject before going off on another foulmouthed rant...

For example, just three weeks ago, someone contacted me stating that they would not use our forum again because I have made it too complicated. He stated that Hewlette Packard has made their forums easy to use and that I must meet their standard if I am to expect anyone use our website.
    Don,

I use the HP website pretty frequently and find AH a lot simpler, in particular the HP forums vs vBulletin.

John

Figge

I was once told, and I can't remember by whom, that there were 200,000 L100's built. This seems to be about right to me.

i would have bet my money somewhere above that number...since i thought it were crawling with l100:s around. but when i think about it many of them iīve seen in adds or at ppl:s places are 4311:s or something thatīs called kit100. it was a kit u put together urself, and were sold in to mid 90:s in sweden by a company called hifikit. im shure there was something similar overseas?...
    Last edited by Figge; 05-27-2004 at 10:31 AM.

Thread Information