Thread: Looky What I just Got - old Peavey twin amp!

Looky What I just Got - old Peavey twin amp!

Yeah, a different drift, I know ... saw this on the curb Monday on the work and thought - well, why not ... so I stuffed it in the back of the CRV and headed to work. Looked it up today - apparently its a Peavey Classic 50 212 - from what I can find online it sounds like a popular amp. ALl the knobs are gone, and its been beat around pretty good - handle is trashed, and its heavy for a small amp! apparently its an op-amp front end and tubes output ... with an effects channel.

Been REALLY busy all week so I haven't had time to see if it powers up, or if the fan runs or the tubes light up or anything ... got an old vox electric around here somewhere I can try it with ... and a wah pedal somewhere ... REAL old school.

Anyway, seemed like a potential find - even if they aren't JBL 12s in there ... they aren't, are they??

first two pix are the amp I found - 3rd is an online pix I found of what it looked like new ... neat design.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Well all you need is to find a axe and you can start rocking

If your wondering what it's worth but do not want to risk the blowback I will take a stab and say $100 + or -

Hi Heather,

This amp is all tube except for the reverb driver which uses op-amps. Not a bad little amp if you are a guitar player. Good footpath find!

Quote Originally Posted by Allanvh5150 View Post
    Hi Heather,

This amp is all tube except for the reverb driver which uses op-amps. Not a bad little amp if you are a guitar player. Good footpath find!
    Actually, I had a version of this and it was tube power but solid state pre (and rectifier, I believe). Great clean amp (country, especially). I got mine after it had been on fire, it was an easy enough fix but I don't remember what the issue was.

Fun.

je

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Yeah, a different drift, I know ... saw this on the curb Monday on the work and thought - well, why not ... so I stuffed it in the back of the CRV and headed to work. Looked it up today - apparently its a Peavey Classic 50 212 - from what I can find online it sounds like a popular amp. ALl the knobs are gone, and its been beat around pretty good - handle is trashed, and its heavy for a small amp! apparently its an op-amp front end and tubes output ... with an effects channel.

Been REALLY busy all week so I haven't had time to see if it powers up, or if the fan runs or the tubes light up or anything ... got an old vox electric around here somewhere I can try it with ... and a wah pedal somewhere ... REAL old school.

Anyway, seemed like a potential find - even if they aren't JBL 12s in there ... they aren't, are they??

first two pix are the amp I found - 3rd is an online pix I found of what it looked like new ... neat design.
    Last time I did that, it was a Fender Twin, and my basement was full of cockroaches within a week or so. Might want to spray it down & bag it in a big contractor bag & leave it in the shed for a while...

je

Heather goes Rock'n Roll, I mean your active part in music is starting now! :dont-know

Quote Originally Posted by Hoerninger View Post
    Heather goes Rock'n Roll, I mean your active part in music is starting now! :dont-know
    I need to get a snapshot of Emma playing harmonica - she'd been a harp player in college but settled down when her Asthma got worse. But after we'd been a couple for a while and I found out, I dug out an old chrome astatic mic I've had for years and she loved the sound ... something about Little Walter, Magic Dick ... all those folks

Anyway, I gave her a small Crate amp a few years ago for Christmas - but this Peavey has really got her thinking! She worked as a line technician for a small electronics firm before we met, so yesterday she sent me this email ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Emma
    I'd like to do the amp checks if you're ok with that.
    No worries - I will breaker protect and follow all SOP's
    for checking EEOUO (electric equipment of unknown origin).
    So yes, I think SHE'S entranced by this thing ...
    she googled it and was telling me all the positive reviews she found ...

I do have an old Vox solidbody in a closet, but I was more a techie and not much of a guitar player ... so if she wants it - well ... I can't say no to her ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    I need to get a snapshot of Emma playing harmonica - she'd been a harp player in college but settled down when her Asthma got worse. But after we'd been a couple for a while and I found out, I dug out an old chrome astatic mic I've had for years and she loved the sound ... something about Little Walter, Magic Dick ... all those folks

Anyway, I gave her a small Crate amp a few years ago for Christmas - but this Peavey has really got her thinking! She worked as a line technician for a small electronics firm before we met, so yesterday she sent me this email ...

So yes, I think SHE'S entranced by this thing ...
    she googled it and was telling me all the positive reviews she found ...

I do have an old Vox solidbody in a closet, but I was more a techie and not much of a guitar player ... so if she wants it - well ... I can't say no to her ...
    I've heard just a touch of Emma's harp playing, and it was great!

If my memory of that amp is accurate, it would be a good option for making her harp LOUDER, but it's not the one to get a good tube-saturation tone from. I don't recall any master volume, so no self-generated fuzz until it's unbearably loud. Might be a different model, though. I remember mine as clean clean clean, dynamic, and loud. The right kind of tube processor in front of it could make it viable for harp use, but my guess is it's not an all-in-one solution. Let me know if anything I've got can help get it going for you, I've got speaks & knobs & some tubes here.

je

It's a 1991-1992 Classic 50 212 EFX, 50W with tube pre, two channels with master volumes, and effects loop. Four Groove Tubes EL84s, and three Sovtek 12AX7WAs. Thanks Heather, it's going to get the attention it needs here, and should see some time back on stage in the next few weeks.

A couple of pre-clean-up pics:

Name:  PV front (Medium).JPG
Views: 2975
Size:  92.5 KB

Name:  PV Back on (Medium).JPG
Views: 3124
Size:  99.1 KB

Name:  PV label (Medium).JPG
Views: 2697
Size:  78.7 KB

Name:  PV back (Medium).JPG
Views: 6747