Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Not again! What's a good reasonably priced CD player?

Not again! What's a good reasonably priced CD player?

Sorry. Every thread I look up using "search" seems to degenerate into a discussion of vinyl vs. CD, or worse.

OK, I'm cash poor having overspent on a recent purchase, but I'd like to upgrade my primary source. I currently have a Sony 5-disc CD-DVD changer that's several years old. DVD-NVD 655 progressive scan something-or-other. An even older single-play Sony CDP-991 I like a lot that was probably near TOTL a decade (or more) ago. And a H-K DVD22 I picked up cheap ($60) from the tent-sale because Harman praised if for it's audio quality: "Audiophile-grade 24-bit/192 kHz audio digital-to-analog converters ensure the highest possible fidelity and resolution, and the player uses premium-quality internal components in the audio signal path.". I'd like to do better, if I can.

There's lots of talk about the Oppo DV-980H mostly praising its DA converters and overall quality expecially for two-channel listening. Current price on the Oppo seems to be around $169 to my door. I can't tell if that comes with a remote, or not. In and around this price range is there something else I should be looking at, say in the up-to $250 range? I don't much care if it even has DVD capabilities though that seems hard to avoid these days. Therefore having the most-current D-TV technology is also unimportant with respect to this use.

Yeah, I know I could ask this question on AK, but . . . well, you know. I trust you guys and gals. I recall Heather, T-dome, and at least some others went with the next Oppo up, the DV-981HD which supposedly has better video at the sacrifice of some audio quality. Anyone have have experience with the 980H, or others in the "quality bottom-feeder" range? Preferably something that does not rely on a TV for its menu.

Thanks.

I read a comment somewhere ( Stereophile ? ) that the Oppos were a lot of "bang for the buck" , but really dont test out that well.

The Sony ES (elevated standard) line has always been good for me...MUCH different than their non-ES gear. I have a single disker and 2 five diskers, and dont think I'd sell them, but my NADs ...yuk, CL bait.

Did you cut off your kids or thin out the bimmer inventory to afford those beasts ?
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Smile

I have purchased two Sony ES units over the years. In the early 90's I purchased a CDP-C79ES, sounds excelent. There are some problems with mine: no copper bottom, no coax digital out, remote sucks.

CD / DVD player number 2 is a DVP-S9000ES, great unit. I have nothing bad to say about it, has coax and fiber out, 6 channel audio out, copper case construction, and even plays DVD's with a scaler. I have seen the price of these units range from 150 - 350 on ebay. Cheep My dad has a DVP-S900ES and he is very happy with his also. It ia a cheeper unit, the buttons are not as nice as the 9000.

I purchased both units new from HiFI Buys and have never been serviced.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Last time I opened this can of worms I got a lot of great suggestions but wound up scoring an adcom GCD-750 from Mr.Widget (thank you Sir!). I already had one so when he offered it to me I knew what I was getting into. Its a great player and it has XLR's which will come in handy once you get your Meyer CP 10 hooked up to the Ashly

Have not followed them lately but you may be able to score one in the $300-500 range, I know its a bit more than you wanted to spend but it really is a great unit, straight forward, no bs (single platter), just the way I like em.

Have fun

(pictures not of my unit)

Just Play Music.

Quote Originally Posted by Krunchy View Post
    Its a great player and it has XLR's which will come in handy once you get your Meyer CP 10 hooked up to the Ashly
    Not much chance of that now! I'll have to settle for the Soundcraftsmen Pro-EQ 44 which works darn well. Probably only under a grand eighteen-years ago, but it'll have to do.

I'll check out the Adcoms. I have a good friend who swears by them.

And I'll see if Sony still makes an ES series player these days, business being as bad as it is!

I've got both the Oppo 980 and 981. They clearly are two different players. I use the 980 in my music-only surround system and the 981 in my HT.

As far as the 980 goes, it has a very nice sound and it works well in both surround and stereo modes. It is great bang for the buck, but sometimes that's not very hearty praise. In this case, it REALLY bangs for the buck, and I don't think there's a player under $400 that's as good in the sound department.

Now, I'm only talking audio. There are sub-$400 players that can match or beat its video (by a little), so if video is important, that's a consideration. Its video is very good, but it can be beat. I don't use it for video, so it's a nonissue.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    As far as the 980 goes, it has a very nice sound and it works well in both surround and stereo modes. It is great bang for the buck, but sometimes that's not very hearty praise. In this case, it REALLY bangs for the buck, and I don't think there's a player under $400 that's as good in the sound department.
    That's what I was looking for. Not that the sound-quality from the H-K DVD22 isn't good. In fact, both the H-K and the Oppo 980 boast the same "audiophile" A-D converters, though the Oppo can do SACD and USB. Seems Adcom discontinued all CD-only players, and Sony's ES line start in the $1500 range. I'm a little leery of buying-used on stuff like this, and good Adcoms seem to be hitting $450 or better on Audiogon.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    That's what I was looking for. Not that the sound-quality from the H-K DVD22 isn't good.
    I own and use the Sony DVP-S9000ES that daddy mentioned and used to own the Adcom that Krunchy mentioned... I have not heard the HK-DVD22, but while I am sure it sounds different from these other players, I doubt it sounds unequivocally worse. Both the Adcom and the Sony cost around $1200 ea. when new and they both sound fine. I don't think they sounded significantly better than the $400 CD player that they replaced. For music playback, I'd stick with any competent player with digital outs and run it through a really good DAC. Doing so isn't inexpensive but it does sound better... even then, maybe not better enough considering the expense. Now if you want to talk about vinyl...

Widget

Sony Bdp-s350

I just got this DVD player. The sound is wonderful for music . Full and warm!

Sony is struggling here in the UK. There are some great deals around . I picked this up for £ 165 . Maybe try one out and see what you think.

I have heard some pretty wonderful CD players and for the price

Basically , IMHO you would need to spend atleast 10 times that to get a better sound .

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by richluvsound View Post
    Basically , IMHO you would need to spend atleast 10 times that to get a better sound .
    That was basically my point. While all of these players do sound different and some are real dogs, among the decent players, you have to spend gobs to really get to an elevated plateau.

Widget

JBL 4645
    I use the Pioneer DV-525 and Cello DR-810 for CD stereo/Dolby stereo listening. The Pioneer CLD-1750 laserdisc is okay for laserdisc the CD is bit out of alignment and needs tending to, otherwise the CLD-1750 is smart CD for non-sync.

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by richluvsound View Post
    I just got this DVD player. The sound is wonderful for music . Full and warm!

Sony is struggling here in the UK. There are some great deals around . I picked this up for £ 165 . Maybe try one out and see what you think.

I have heard some pretty wonderful CD players and for the price

Rich
    I think you’re not too far away from Richer Sounds and the prices are cheap as biscuits. Also several PA stores around London like Turnkey.

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    I think you’re not too far away from Richer Sounds and the prices are cheap as biscuits. Also several PA stores around London like Turnkey.
    Remember -
    Phil in Virginia will not being buying from London or UK based stores -
    please, keep it on topic!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

I love Sony, as I drive the CDP-3000 and D / A un GXD8 GENEX, all purchased on eBay.
    Really a very good sound.
    Stéphane
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    the Sony cost around $1200 ea.
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Sony's ES line start in the $1500 range.
    geeze, I've got like $325 in the 3 of them ...1 new & 2 used, and although a little older, they sound wonderful ...

so the Oppos are made in ______ ?

( I am boycotting products from the C country when possible.)
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Thread Information