Thread: Worst refoam job EVER!!!!!!!!

Worst refoam job EVER!!!!!!!!

Just thought everbody would get a laugh at the refoam job the previous owner of my recently bought L300's did. In his defense he didnt know any thing about JBL's or speakers in general.
    And yes folks that is regular foam cut into strips and black siliconed into place. I think this refoam might have slightly changed the audio caracteristics of the driver, the speaker now seems to have a xmax (hope that is the right term) of about
    .0000000001 inches. Owners only comment on the speaker is that they didnt have very good Bass. Hmmmmm wonder why?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Unbelievable...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Unbelievable? Not really. What I really think is unbelievable is an article in a recent AudioXpress (Speaker Builder) that walks you through making your own surrounds out of liquid latex. So after spending 10 to 20 hours of work you have a part that is almost as good as one you could buy for about $10. Hmmm some people really do have too much time on their hands.

Widget

OMG!

Some people should never be let in the same room as audio gear, especially vintage JBL speakers. However, the upside is that they can be fixed, and play great once more.

Figge
    Originally posted by boputnam
    [BUnbelievable... [/B]

shure as ¤%&# is! some ppl shure knows how to destroy fine audiogear! DAMN! probably the worst i´ve seen!

WOW

That has to be a first!!

Rob

Well after seeing that picture i would go with the recone right off the bat and skip trying to refoam,who know,s what kind of other mistreatment was applied to those voice coils and spiders.

jims
    Just goes to show you what can be accomplished with a little ingenuity and a few common household items. Seriously, you may be getting closer to an answer to your refoam/recone question.

Yes, after taking a closer look at the speakers there is no way I can ever get all that silicone off. If I understand correctly, I can only get the speakers reconed with 2235 cones? What kind of changes can I expect?

Originally posted by wsilva
    If I understand correctly, I can only get the speakers reconed with 2235 cones? What kind of changes can I expect?
    Improved low end response with lower distortion.

As with the LE85s used in the L300s, the improved diaphragms for the 2421 and cones for the 2235 made it a no brainer to discontinue production of the 2420 and 2231 kits. In other cases JBL has continued to support their legacy products with original spec parts, but in the case of the L-300 all three drivers can still be repaired with improvements for the 136A (2231A the professional designation) and the LE85 (2420).

When you have the extra cash (about $500) you should seriously consider replacing the aluminum diaphragms in your LE85s. They do fatigue and the improved 2421 diaphragms will soften the sometimes harsh sound of that driver.

Have fun.

Widget

Obsolete
    If your L300's have the more common 136A bass drivers then you might want to go for a remagnetization of the alnico magnets in addition to recones.

Thread Information