Thread: Tannoy ST100

Tannoy ST100

I have an eye on a pair of these for my JBL S2600 speakers. To anyone who has tried these before: are they worth the investment? (+/- $700.00 )

Thanks.

If you speakers are otherwise top notch, but only lacks a little bit of HF extension, then yes. I would say they are worth it.

I have played around a bit with the ST200 wich is the same in different cabinet, and i believe it does a good job.

However they are so expensive that in my oppinion they should be considered the iceing on the cake. Everything else should be in place first.

-Tim
    2213 + 2435HPL w/aquaplas + H9800 (Matsj edition)

I consider the JBL S2600 top notch-at least for me. I have a bit of a high freq. hearing loss in one ear. I am trying everything possible to decrease that problem. The speakers are really great but do not extend out as much as some.

I guess I will not know until I try, right? Thanks for your comments.

Very true. You won't know until you try. However, is it wise to mix a dome supertweeter with a horn? I'm thinking dispersion wise.

-Tim

I really do not know if it is a wise move. Is there another type of supertweeter that you would recommend? I am new to this.

I was listening last night to my system & it sounded great-to me. I guess that some feel that you can always improve somehow-whether it is changing out amps/preamps/cdp's ect., but all I am looking for is perhaps a tad more HF.

Perhaps I should be happy with what I have, which, in effect, I am.

Why not try a pair a 045Ti's? I think they are approx $330 each from Harman in the US and build some simple crossovers.

Quote Originally Posted by tom1040 View Post
    Perhaps I should be happy with what I have, which, in effect, I am.
    Always important to keep our perspective...

I've heard the Tannoys used in conjunction with some vintage JBLs and thought they worked quite well. Ultimately I suppose it depends on the importance you place on the last octave.

Widget

Very True, Mr. Widget. However, like I said, I will not know until I try. I have another question concerning Tannoy. Instead of the ST100 has anyone by chance have experience with the ST50? Big difference?

Sorry for my ingorance.

Quote Originally Posted by timc View Post
    Very true. You won't know until you try. However, is it wise to mix a dome supertweeter with a horn? I'm thinking dispersion wise.

-Tim
    INteresting question, as Im also considering an s3100 being sold to me on a private sale...i have heard about the limited hf issue which i bet will be an issue to me even without hearing the s3100 for a long time(first heard it in 97 but couldnt afford it)..my current speakers have super tweeters in it and I can hear what it does (above 10khz).

I've explored these tannoys too as a possible upgrade path with its built-in crossover settings which will leave the stock s2600/3100 unmodified..

on the question of the dome/horn compatibility...i wonder too...i dont know either and will be interested to find out if there are potential theoretical incompatibilities..

but i reckon since they are used to augment tannoy's prestige series which has some horn loading characterics isnt not, then i guess it's okay?

cheers

The Waveguides of the Tannoys have a conical dispersion so they match. The JBL's dont have that...so....im not sure. Im just thinking about what people say when discussin crossover points between woofer/horn. To put it in the place where the horisontal dispersion is equal.

It might not apply to supertweeters. I really don't know

-Tim

I have not had alot of time listening yet since I am a partner in a CPA firm going thru tax season but TO ME it opens everything up a bit. The sound is cleaner, it seems. I am debating now whether to bi amp this setup by adding another Onkyo M-588F amp. Anyones thoughts on this?
    Last edited by tom1040; 03-10-2009 at 05:28 AM. Reason: mis spell

The Tannoy ST50 have various adjustments for the crossover & Freq. response. Together with the JBL S2600 speakers, what would the best setting? Does it 'depend' on the overall setup?

Thanks for your help.

Thread Information