Thread: What Should Be Done About the "How Much Is It Worth ?" threads

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What Should Be Done About the "How Much Is It Worth ?" threads

I"ve really had it with these people who use there first,second post-whatever and go value trollin.

"How Much Is It Worth?"

Stick it on eBay and find out

I"m not responding to any more of these kinds of fishing expeditions and suggest everybody do the same.

Oldmics

P.S. This isnt just going happening on this site.The automotive sites are worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmics View Post
    I"m not responding to any more of these kinds of fishing expeditions and suggest everybody do the same.
    At present that is the best we can do.

Widget

I say require a donation to get a price quote, and ban anyone who supplies a quote before the donation is verified by Bo. In fact, put Bo in charge of the whole thing, including supplying quotes.
    Out.

BRAVO!!
    I say make a sticky thread called "HOW MUCH IS IT WORTH"
    explain in there about the shifting values and the current financial issues, mention that the best indicator is what it sells for, and suggest they post it to a sale site like AudioGawn or Ebray and "...see what happens"

Then explain that for a nominal donation (say - $20) the resources of the site are open to them - Once verified, folks could chime in ...

If no pay, then you can refuse to play with the trolls!

We should at least get a snack before they take us for a ride ...

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmics View Post
    I"ve really had it with these people who use there first,second post-whatever and go value trollin'.

"How Much Is It Worth?"

Stick it on eBay and find out

Oldmics

P.S. This isnt just going happening on this site.The automotive sites are worse.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Morning OldMics

Well I see that one got you as annoyed as it did me when I moved it to Marketplace last night. I have been asking people to not respond you months now. Thank you

Hello Widget

I have a solution. We post a warning sticky in Marketplace and when they ignore it the thread gets deleted as Spam so the user is automatically baned. It is Spam. You can see the same requests in other Forums. These guys are no different then the Nokia Phone Spam we used to get. It is unsolicited advertisements. The only thing that stopped the Nokia Spam was repeated deletions and banning.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Haven't touched the draft FAQ for a year, but the reason to have one in an obvious
    place hasn't changed:

Selling/Buying

Q: How much is (fill in the blank) worth?
    A: Ebay can be a good indicator of current monetary value. This site is not
    a replacement for doing your homework and knowing your market. Responses
    you may receive are opinion only, but may be based on some level of
    experience (don't get too disappointed or excited prematurely).

Charging for remote appraisals seems (to me) to be an invitation for disaster.

Perhaps the upsurge in requests is due in part to Ebay's no longer making completed auction data available for more than one-month, unless you can search by seller or item number. I know there are on-line services that track selling prices but I don't have any experience with them. "Blue Book" type services seem to be a joke with the prices they quote on nearly anything, but especially on items I'm familiar with.

Since Ebay seems to be the accepted arbiter of "value" here, is there some way we could track JBL items of interest by item number and final bid or no-sale price, catalogued by JBL model, in some data base those who had an interest could post to? Just a thought, and admittedly one for which I'm not offering to bell-the-cat. But it may offer somewhere to point any prospective fishermen, and still bring those items of interest to this site's members' attention first. Maybe? They list the query, we point them to the Ebay archive data? :dont-know

I'm still confused about how to enter or access serial-number data for vintage systems (and that may just be me) but maybe an Ebay database could be a bit more transparent, less owner-intensive, and more accessible. Not too hard since we can search by thread—though the search function kicks out "L7" for not having enough characters . . .

Just a thought. I'll go back to electrocuting myself now. :shock:

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    though the search function kicks out "L7" for not having enough characters . . .

Just a thought. I'll go back to electrocuting myself now. :shock:

google advanced search will allow you to search for very short key words in a specific web domain...

go to google,
    click advanced search to the left of the main query data entry box...

Thread Information