Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What Should Be Done About the "How Much Is It Worth ?" threads

This is an angle on "How much is it worth" threads that I had not thought of.
    Be very cautious of any non-For Sale thread posts where someone says something like: "I'm thinking of selling my XXXX . How much do you think I can get for it?" This can often be bait designed to get people to quickly respond via email or PM hoping to be the first to scoop an item before it officially goes up for sale. A scammer can sell the same item many times over to different people this way, without any public posting to tip everyone off.
    It is from Head-fi, a much larger site with dedicated sales threads of various types (and obviously much larger admin resources). So this problem may never visit us. Read that: we are not worth the trouble/effort.

Check the stickies out for a different take on sales forums. I found the "Commercial sales not allowed" sticky to be very focused. It narrows the specific forum to friendly sales among forum members and forbids flippers. Not for us, but interesting.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f10/

Clark
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Thanks for waking up this thread, Clark. I had missed it up til now.

Mostly I think that the questions posed by people who have stumbled onto something are no big deal. The times I've gotten upset are when someone has posted under false pretenses. One time a guy said he wanted to restore an old theatre system. As soon as I told him what he had and its value, it popped up on ebay. I busted his chops over this and he later apologized.

The internet is a valuable resource and a guy who finds an old hunk of gear and comes here to find out about it is just using an available tool. The big picture is (usually) that the piece has been rescued from destruction and is on its way to an appreciative new owner.

Sometimes the questions posed and pictures posted add value to these forums. I often have fun blathering on about the history, so I hope that we don't chase these folks off.

Steve, your "blathering on about the history" is among the most valuable and interesting material on the forums. Whatever evokes it is better than all right with me.

Clark
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Unhappy It makes you wonder

There have been frequent references to AK. A fellow posted a thread there about his "great find" complete with fabulous pictures and a majestic tale about how much he was going to treasure them. Of course, much praise and great information flowed forth about the items.

And of course, less than a week later, they showed up on eBay complete with some information that was garnered from the replies.

I only wish that people would indicate their intent to sell, resell or flip prior to asking for valuations.

I really don't understand why a new member can't ask others here how much a vintage system or component is worth. Exactly what is the concern?

I have NO problem with this and I am surprised to see others objecting to this.

If one of the objectives of this site is to promote the restoration what is wrong with folks trying to obtain information about the value of their equipment?

What about those folks who find items for sale on Fleabay and use this forum to announce the sale to others here - "Hey L300s located in Boston being sold on FLeabay - see this listing...."

What about those folks who claim they know without any evidence that a certain listing is bogas, "Scammer such-and-such is tryiing to scam people on a pair of Paragons"

Thread Information