Thread: Dog house or not??

Dog house or not??

Hallo !!
    Maybe a really stupid question !!
    Have been serching some JBL drivers........got me some
    Altec 416 8a instead !!
    So now i have four 416 8a and two 406 8k .
    Would it be possible to put two 416 and one 604 in the same cab without a dog house for the 604.
    The cab will be huge, ca 450 liters !!but it depends on if its possible to have them in the same cab !!??
    Urei uses only one volume for ther 813 and 815......Onken W uses two 416 in the same cab, so what will happend if i place a 604 together with them ??
    Will it work ??
    Lasse

Will the 604 and the two 416's be covering the same or overlapping frequency range? If so, it's optional. If not, separate them.

Hi !!Thanks fore your reply !!
    The XO point for the 604 is about 1500hz i do`nt think i will use the 416 up to that level, if i cut the 416 at ???????350 Hz what will happend ??
    The urei only have some glasfiber stuffing between the two /three drivers !!
    Dont know exact but i thint that the 416 highest cutoff is obout 1500hz !!
    lasse

What are you after, more bass?

On second thought, I guess I wouldn't mix the different drivers--although it's been done.

It seems to me Altec made a speaker with a 604 and a 416. Can't think what it is right now.

There have been speakers that added in extra drivers for the lower bass. Some have used separate enclosures (JBL 4435) and others have put them in the same space (JBL Everest II). In both cases the woofers were identical.

You seem to already be familiar with the UREI speakers, so I guess you know the extra bass drivers were different, actually quite different, and were designed to significantly augment the bass.

If I had a 604 and wanted lower bass, I would pair it with a JBL 2245 or other big, efficient subwoofer. It's been said the 416 makes more bass of a sort than the 604/515, but for me it is not in the subwoofer category.

Thread Information