Thread: Jbl2227

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Jbl2227

Does anyone know why JBL stopped production of the 2227? It is one of the best 15" drivers they have made. It has a flat response into the midrange, high power and low power compression.

2227 data conflicts

After realizing that the 2227 was no longer offered, I looked more at the data sheets. I'm a strong believer in JBl's scientific integrity, but I think
    the conflicts in the 2227's data demonstrate the company's unfortunate dillution post Lansing's death and subsequent buyouts.
    The data show's a resonance of 40 Hz but the response curve shows nearly 60 Hz.
    The published excursion limit before damage is +-25 MM (50p-p), but the gap height is 12.7mm and the coil is 17.8, yielding a possible +-15mm active excursion limit. (can you imagine the non-linearity at that point)
    Finally the sensitivity says 100 db, from 100 - 1 Khz. The curve would support that from 500 to 1 Khz, but from 100 it's just not there.
    Quoting Archie Bunker, "When did it all turn around?"
    We welcome back the 2226 as the workhorse 15".

http://www.jblpro.com/pub/components/2227.pdf

it's the worst data sheet I've ever seen from JBL, nasty.

I have a few systems with the 2226 drivers and the 2225 drivers and I like both of them much. ...solid performers but they do need some fairly big power to show their true stuff.

So the upgrade to the 2227 includes a 50% increase in the diameter of the pole plate and the addition of fiberglass in the cone Vs. the 2226?

it's the worst data sheet I've ever seen from JBL, nasty.

To me it looks like reality.

A lot of the curves I see on the data sheets don't look like what I get when I measure. Yes I accept all that that implies.

The 2227 models more like a mid-range, if you compare it to the 2226 it has the same (within one gram) moving mass, and the same Vas. If you look carefully at the curves the 26 and 27 are very close from 30 - 200Hz, from there the 27 keeps going because of its small inductance at only .55 mH ( same as the 2123 ) as compared to the 26's 1.75 mH. As I understand it, thats where the frequency extension comes from.

The efficiency comes because of the 27's higher Bl of 23 N/A compared to the 26's 19.2 N/A. Same weight, stronger motor, as I understand it, thats where the efficiency comes from.

You know any 15" radiator played well into the KHz range would part you hair like a laser on axis and that is where if I understand correctly the increase in efficiency comes from beyond the flat part of the curve where it becomes mass dominated.

So where could you use a high efficiency driver with a stout cone, big motor, ( same as the 2242 I believe ) with good HF extension, where the size of the radiating element does not dictate the dispersion characteristics?

I think this is the 427 Cobra of the JBL mid-bass horn drivers.

I have been looking casually for a pair for a couple of years now, just to try them out. Anyone have any floating around they would sell?

Nicely Done

Barry,

I could not agree more. To me (we have had this discussion) the 2227 is an "upgrade" (power handling /SPL) to a 2220 not a 25 or 26.

Some day we will have some of these to put in the Levi I's

Keep rockin!!

I remember when our JBL Rep (back in the days when Reps would really come out to the dealers to show what new things we should be interested in) came in and one of the things he wanted us to know about was the JBL 2227. JBL had a lull in their horn driver offering where the 2225 was being used for most any box and then moved over to the 2226. As I recall the 2220 was no longer available and 4550 4560 cabinets, if ordered from the factory, would be stuffed with 2225 or 2226 drivers (depending on the year...though I don't know if the horn cabinets were still offered by the time the 2226 came out).

But there is the rub. When the 2227 came out, it was promoted to us as a HORN driver and to go into applications that the 2220 would have gone into. However, at the time it came out, LF horns were on a serious decline as the trend for smaller and smaller wedge shaped speakers were becoming the norm. In cinema, it was all about direct radiator speakers with the JBL 4675 being the prime example that others were to follow. It was a product that had an ever dwindling market place except, maybe, as a replacement driver to a 2220 (or perhaps a 515 or 416). We, at the time, were still putting in Altec A5C/MRII594As (new) and various A4s (refurbished LF cabinets with new HF horns) for cinema use. We didn't use the 2227 and kept with the Altec 515G or 515G-HP, as needed. If people (including myself) wanted the Altec sound, we wanted the Altec sound. Furthermore, it would require time and expense to experiment with an unknown driver, the 2227. We never sold any but sold quite a bit of the 515s until Altec's demise and have continued to sell the 515 under GPA. Personally, I think the GPA 515-8LF is the best 515 yet. It measures great and sounds even better. If I do another Altec horn job (with 816, 825, 828 or 210 cabinets), I still wouldn't give the 2227 a chance because I've already found a driver that does everything I want, the 515-xLF series.

If my experience is any indication, that would be why the 2227 had a relatively short production life. It came out too late to be really incorporated into JBL's own designs, horn loaded cabinets were on a serious decline when it came out and those of us still using a mid-bass horn already had our go-to components and really weren't looking for an alternative. I dunno, maybe if JBL had shown the 2227's performance in existing horn cabinets of the day, it might have won over those seeking "upgrades" it could have gotten its foot in the door. To this day, I've never had my hands on one.

Some day we will have some of these to put in the Levi I's
    Well that day has finally come my friend! We just got 10 (more) of them. Four of them are for you. You know the rest.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Not exactly on topic, but I wonder if anyone has tried the 2217 for this kind of performance, not for midrange extension, but for impact in the upper bass/lower midrange.

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    Well that day has finally come my friend! We just got 10 (more) of them. Four of them are for you. You know the rest.
    Wow, I knew you said you were looking for another 2227, sounds like you hit the mother load.

The 2227 used a thicker top plate and an underhung voice coil. The BEST high efficiency woofers used this topology and is more expensive to produce.

I guess back when JBL made the decision to discontinue 2227,s this had something to do with it.
    scottyj

SpeakerDave I have never had my hands on a 2217, bit impact is a big part of what I am looking for.

Well Jeff now I have a bakers dozen. This is going to get fun. Bigblock1970 is going to send me a pair of 4550's, I just can't wait!

Scott have you seen the plate/motor structure of one of these? They are really wild compared to a 2220 or the like.

2217h

the 2217 is right between the 2206 and 2226 - same magnet and coil assy. Because it's a 12.75 square frame ( they call it a 14" ) it packs a whole lot easier in compact boxes and in multiples. I use them for just about all my projects.

On the 2227, READ the description in the literature - it was absolutely not designed for vented box use and it is indeed a "427" version of the 2220. A true horn energizer.

This summer I will dig the 4530's out of storage and compare the 26 and 27....

sub

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    SpeakerDave I have never had my hands on a 2217, bit impact is a big part of what I am looking for.

Well Jeff now I have a bakers dozen. This is going to get fun. Bigblock1970 is going to send me a pair of 4550's, I just can't wait!

Scott have you seen the plate/motor structure of one of these? They are really wild compared to a 2220 or the like.
    I have tried the 2227 in my Altec basshorns. It was a hella efficient driver. Worked well in horn cabinets. I liked the bottom end of the 2226, and the TAD woofers, better though, and decided to go with a LF driver, over the 2227.
    scottyj

That's what it's all about! What it measures and models like doesn't mean a thing if you don't like how it sounds.

I have 2220's, 2226's, 2227's and E130's and you can bet all of them will go through the 4550's.

It's gonna be a great summer!

I have previously been looking for pictures of the 2227h but couldn't find any.

Since I now have got a few 2227h, I thought I could put out pictures for those interested

Name:  P1080046.JPG
Views: 5375
Size:  161.1 KBName:  P1080061.JPG
Views: 5134
Size:  110.8 KB

First impression is very, very good, paired up with 2451 and a pair of 2243h subs they sound awesome!

Thread Information