Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: New K2 S9900

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    With all this focus on amps, what would you drive a pair of K2S9900s with? This is an open question for anyone, not just those dragging out the Parasound story.

Widget would likely say Levinson or Pass, and Ian would probably say Pass as well, but they can of course speak for themselves on this issue.

There's the old joke about the guy who asks a Texan how much it costs to drive his Rolls Royce (or some other car), and the Texan replies, "If you have to ask, you can't afford it."

Well, I'm asking anyway. I doubt that I would be able to get a current Levinson, Pass, or other $$$$$ in addition to a $$$$$ pre, $$$$$ source, and K2s at the same time. OTOH, a Soundcraftsmen from 1990 isn't going to cut it either. There are a lot of pro amps that could handle the job, but NO ONE drives this kind of gear with a pro amp.

Maybe a Synthesis or two (bridged), or one of the new ATI Balanced models (or a derivative like Theta)? If you were limited to staying under $3-4k, what would you be looking at?
    Maybe the Parasound amps could be for you! They make several models, and they are really good, and they don't cost what a Levinson or Pass Labs cost. And besides the HALO series, they have the NEW CLASSIC line, offering big bang foir the buck, good performance, and relatively economical cost.

But even the HALO series represents GREAT value and lots of great amp, for less than what comparable brands models cost. I did go to hear the HALO amps, and i will say, they sound terrific, and are attractively priced compared to other brands that have the same power models, and in the same class range.
    scottyj

Parasound !

Agreed Scott,

great value there ,not here though Dont forget to trick out the resistor package first...... Anyway , $ 3-4 k -I'd be off to Reno hifi
    Or Bryston ofcourse !

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by richluvsound View Post
    Agreed Scott,

great value there ,not here though Dont forget to trick out the resistor package first...... Anyway , $ 3-4 k -I'd be off to Reno hifi
    Or Bryston ofcourse !

Rich
    But Bryston doesn't use MOSFETS, and that is what I am after with the HALO amps!
    scottyj

Sorry !

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    But Bryston doesn't use MOSFETS, and that is what I am after with the HALO amps!
    I must have missed that bit . RENO HIFI it is then .... Or do what I'm doing and build a pass ! Rich

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    Aha! He wrote the magic word!
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by richluvsound View Post
    I must have missed that bit . RENO HIFI it is then .... Or do what I'm doing and build a pass ! Rich
    Reno I'll check out. If I could do what you do Rich, I'd build everything myself, starting with the speakers.
    Out.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    With all this focus on amps, what would you drive a pair of K2S9900s with?
    I'd really like to hear a pair with an old Citation XX. I don't know what Greg is driving his pair with these days. I haven't asked. I've no doubt that they'd sound just fine with my "grungy old" Citation 22's.

Yeah right !

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    I'd really like to hear a pair with an old Citation XX. I don't know what Greg is driving his pair with these days. I haven't asked. I've no doubt that they'd sound just fine with my "grungy old" Citation 22's.

And that would be stock ofcousre ! no tinkering , no tricking out ....... you couldn't resist a new cap or 2 ?

I don't have any Citation gear of that vintage, but I do have the 5.0 and 5.1. Right now I'm using the 5.0 as the analog stereo pre for the DX-1/XPL200 set up. The 5.1 amp (and the slightly earlier Fosgate Audionics 4125, 4200, etc.) are four-channel units, bridgeable to two channels and built like tanks. I never could figure out where they were built: ATI, Madrigal, or ????.

I guess if someone had a big stable of amps and access to the K2 S9900, it would be quite a party trying them all!

Then there's the whole pre thing. That's a lot to consider as well. After being at the CAAS, there's sure a lot of interesting and sometimes bizarre gear out there just to drive some speakers. I wonder what gems might be lying undiscovered that are already in someone's garage or basement, like that Citation 5.0.

I boxed it up long ago with the intent of selling it, but it never happened. When the DX-1 arrived, I thought about what pre I would use, and oddly the 5.0 came to mind. I never used it as a two-channel pre before; it was always used in surround, but then its older Dolby and DTS modes were surpassed, obsolete, and I got newer gear.

I can now state that the 2.0 section is not obsolete, and thanks to Jim Fosgate and others for being so committed to excellence in the two-channel implementation.

Wonder how that would sound with the K2s?

Ah, so many questions--questions we all hope to be lucky enough to answer some day.
    Out.

I think at that level you need to mate the amps to the loudspeakers.

Being hard dome pistonic (Mg) which is freaking accurate I doubt if bipolar push pull (conventional) amps would be appropriate unless biased heavily into class A.

I have a Passlabs X250.5 and that sounds detailed and very smooth on my two way system using a Tad 4001 on the Emilar EH500 (+-2 db from 500 - 20,000 hz). Nothing escapes the detail and ruthless accuracy of Be and I would not use anything less as an amp.

This amp uses complementry power fets and SE baised for the first watt, then biased for push pull class (super symmetry) up to about 35 watts and then works push pull out to 250 watts into 8 ohms and 500 into 4 ohms.

I will in future drive the horn with an Passlabs AX30.5 as used at the show for the Everest 11 horns. It was magic. These amps have high constant bias, almost infinite current drive and they are quite affordable from RenoHifi.

The older Citation amps were excellent in the bass, but like many amps of that era they were is bit greasy (as in glare) in the upper mid range and top end. Amps in general have improve significantly in the past decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    I think at that level you need to mate the amps to the loudspeakers.

Being hard dome pistonic (Mg) which is freaking accurate I doubt if bipolar push pull (conventional) amps would be appropriate unless biased heavily into class A.

I have a Passlabs X250.5 and that sounds detailed and very smooth on my two way system using a Tad 4001 on the Emilar EH500 (+-2 db from 500 - 20,000 hz). Nothing escapes the detail and ruthless accuracy of Be and I would not use anything less as an amp.

This amp uses complementry power fets and SE baised for the first watt, then biased for push pull class (super symmetry) up to about 35 watts and then works push pull out to 250 watts into 8 ohms and 500 into 4 ohms.

I will in future drive the horn with an Passlabs AX30.5 as used at the show for the Everest 11 horns. It was magic. These amps have high constant bias, almost infinite current drive and they are quite affordable from RenoHifi.

The older Citation amps were excellent in the bass, but like many amps of that era they were is bit greasy (as in glare) in the upper mid range and top end. Amps in general have improve significantly in the past decade.
    YUP!

I think your first sentence is spot on, Ian! Except that I find that ALL speakers of all eras need to mate to the amp.
    scottyj

Obsolete
    Which is exactly why I would like to hear a Citation XX again. To hear how well it has stood the test of time. For all I know we'd end up turning it off after thirty seconds.

Which is exactly why I would like to hear a Citation XX again. To hear how well it has stood the test of time. For all I know we'd end up turning it off after thirty seconds.
    The solution is bi amp and use the Citation on those nice 1500ALs and something more elegant on the mid and top end for the 0476.

There was a mission in my madness to visit Nth CA.

Something really impressive is about to be released and its made in the USA for those who understand bi amping done right.

The solution is bi amp and use the Citation on those nice 1500ALs and something more elegant on the mid and top end for the 0476.

Something really impressive is about to be released and its made in the USA for those who understand bi amping done right.
    Oh, you are a tease!
    Out.

No fair! Tell us more!!

Is it a biamp system for the Everest????
    2213 + 2435HPL w/aquaplas + H9800 (Matsj edition)

Thread Information