Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: New K2 S9900

I agree with 4313B in that from my own direct auditioning of the Everest and K series in Japan they are different from the legacy gear and the contemporary Blue monitor ranges based on legacy Trad JBLs.

They are engineered as an SOA systems to compete with the very best Hifi audiophile loudspeakers available.

I think JBL recognises the demand in that market and this model will slot in nicely.

JBL also caters for the long term brand loyal followers with the Blue monitor series who grew up with legacy products. There is also the new LS series for those where space is at a premium and want a contemporary Hifi sound on a less ambitious scale than the Everest or K series.

You really have to hear them go to fully appreciate the distinction but the JBL Japan brochure posted over in the reference area goes some way towards conveying what these fabulous loudspeakers can do for your ears.

Twenty-five years from now 4313B will be telling us how much better the latest JBL-HK 1.1 holographic two-pound speaker systems are than the long-forgotten K2 series. but they'll only be available in China. Seawolf will be finding DD66000s at the Portland Goodwill. Rick Riessen will be offering a run of K2 clones. Zilch will be finding K2s in dumpsters and cutting them up to install Parts Express carbon-fibre wave guides to improve them. GT will have submitted an improved Intel-chip K2 network design that can be made from recycled personal communicators. Ian will still be trying to explain how they should be wired. And I'll be trying to pay $200 for a pair of K2-S9900s in some world-currency backed by CitiBanc of Antigua.

That's assuming heart-valve technology has kept pace with the advancement in the use of precious metals in compression drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    K2-S9900

Let me know if there is any demand for the English language version.
    Um, since my Japanese is non-existent, the English version would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Twenty-five years from now 4313B will be telling us how much better the latest JBL-HK 1.1 holographic two-pound speaker systems are than the long-forgotten K2 series. but they'll only be available in China. Seawolf will be finding DD66000s at the Portland Goodwill. Rick Riessen will be offering a run of K2 clones. Zilch will be finding K2s in dumpsters and cutting them up to install Parts Express carbon-fibre wave guides to improve them. GT will have submitted an improved Intel-chip K2 network design that can be made from recycled personal communicators. Ian will still be trying to explain how they should be wired. And I'll be trying to pay $200 for a pair of K2-S9900s in some world-currency backed by CitiBanc of Antigua.

That's assuming heart-valve technology has kept pace with the advancement in the use of precious metals in compression drivers.

And I'll finally have a pair of Everest DD77000s inside the 20 year old jumbo RV that I'm living in.
    Out.

Obsolete
    The documents I posted should answer any pertinent questions posed in this thread so far.

K2-S9900

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    All and all a heck of a step forward from the 9800.
    Agreed.

The documents I posted should answer any pertinent questions posed in this thread so far.

K2-S9900

Agreed.
    Thanks.
    Out.

The graph that accompanies the statement below is quite impressive. The improved 1500AL-1 isn't just a cosmetic upgrade like some -1 drivers. There are real meat and potatoes changes.

The 476Mg is an amazing piece of work. I'm now really excited about hearing it in action. Tomorrow is the big unveiling in many parts of the world. Is it in the US as well?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Out.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    The improved 1500AL-1 isn't just a cosmetic upgrade like some -1 drivers. There are real meat and potatoes changes.
    True. The 1500AL-1 is an 8 ohm version of the 12 ohm 1501AL used in the Everest II. Both handle more power than the original 8 ohm 1500AL, which kept blowing up in high power Studio applications.

Must have been running some big wattage amps!

How many watts were they trying to feed to the speaker system that would blow them up?

Probably not a problem with normal home use I'm sure!

Regards, Ron

True. The 1500AL-1 is an 8 ohm version of the 12 ohm 1501AL used in the Everest II. Both handle more power than the original 8 ohm 1500AL, which kept blowing up in high power Studio applications.
    JBL Pro for home use!

Sow JBLPRO is finally cooking something big for studios

that would be just great the icing in the cake

K2-S9900
    thanks a lot !!

EDIT: It seems like the 476Mg marks the return of the diamond surround!

What was the wattage rating of the 1500AL?

I guess the 1501AL-1 must be substantially greater.

Ron
    JBL Pro for home use!

Just for the pleasure in your eyes:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Andyoz View Post
    As a sideline, has JBL ever thought about going active with these big systems. I assume it would never happen as their target market already has amps and other fancy bits of "bling" to use.

My dream system would be something like a pair of 4338's with a triplet of amp packs in each box . How much better would the bottom end of the S9900's be without the passive x-over sucking power and damping factor away from the driver.

I agree completely. For twenty plus thousand dollars, one would expect some active features. It's not like the technology doesn't exist. Hell, backyard hackers can buy cheapy dedicated Zetex Class D feedback amps to take the bass driver's natural limitations and offset them. You don't even have to get fancy with servo drive accelerometers or optical sensors like Velodyne - just simple, elegant current sensing feedback does wonders all by itself. I've wondered for years why anyone would want to spend 15 to 20K for a pair of K2's when bass response is -10db at 35hz - I think Audio magazine measured the L250 more than a decade ago as performing better than that in the bottom end! The 1500 driver is probably set up with less compliance to achieve greater linearity at high outputs. Anyways, for some of us - newer is not always better. Although the Be drivers do look like a major advancement in dynamic capabilities - on paper at least. I'm sure I'll never know - the nearest pair of K2's is probably 500 miles from where I live.

The -10db point is measured anechoic. And anyway, how much info is there below 30Hz on normal music.

I have listened to the Ti240 wich uses the same woofer as the 250. I have also listened quite a bit to the K2 S9800. Not much of a competition to be honest. The K2's is lightyears ahead.

-Tim
    2213 + 2435HPL w/aquaplas + H9800 (Matsj edition)

Thread Information