Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: New K2 S9900

Put another way, I hear no electronics that make the same kind of difference the K2s themselves make.
    Exactly most bang for your bucks.

The biggest difference so far seems to be the ability or inability of an amp to grab hold of the 15" woofer.
    Too bad you couldn't run a Crown down there. Sacrilege I know but they will grab and not let go.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Oppo !

Doug,

I would get Heathers opinion on the Oppo gear. I mean no disrespect to Widget , but from what I hear and read they maybe a bit of a flash in the pan ...

Are you googling too ? I don't mean the funded reviews either

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by richluvsound View Post
    Doug,

I would get Heathers opinion on the Oppo gear. I mean no disrespect to Widget , but from what I hear and read they maybe a bit of a flash in the pan ...

Rich
    No disrespect taken... if you follow up on Heather's thread I think you'll find that Heather is quite pleased with Oppo and how they handle their customers... and if you read my posts where I recommended the Oppo SE it was only as a bang for the buck... I didn't think it good enough to keep in my system, but for under a grand it is probably the best solution.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    Put another way, I hear no electronics that make the same kind of difference the K2s themselves make. When I heard the K2s, it was "YES." When I hear the various amps and pres, it's more like "maybe, maybe not" in terms of any difference, and that's not too compelling.
    Agreed... and why I have always had far more funds allocated to my speakers than the rest of the system... of course there is no hurry, but once you arrive at a system like the K2... spend a few years and a commensurate amount on the rest of the system and it will continue to improve.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by richluvsound View Post
    Doug,

Rich
    They've been in my pan for a long time. I have three Oppo units, each still in service and doing quite well. I suppose I could upgrade to the Lexicon version.
    Out.

Obsolete
    I wonder if this is a bit too low rent for your K2's. I've never heard it myself.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I suppose I could upgrade to the Lexicon version.
    Harman is blowing them out since they can't get any more Oppos to go inside those pretty chassis.

Widget

One of my wife’s girlfriends summed it up nicely “My God It's Live"

Put another way, I hear no electronics that make the same kind of difference the K2s themselves make. When I heard the K2s, it was "YES." When I hear the various amps and pres, it's more like "maybe, maybe not" in terms of any difference, and that's not too compelling.

The biggest difference so far seems to be the ability or inability of an amp to grab hold of the 15" woofer.
    When I was audition electronics there was a particular sound I was looking for and it did involve the getting the woofer fully engaged (amongst other things). I just could not stomach listening to the K2s with the anemic bass output my current gear was producing.

When I went back to audition electronics we started with Krell Evolution 525a/202/600/CAST…audio nirvana was realized, I did listen to an Esoteric X-05 CD, BRYSTON BP26 PreAmp/28B SST2 amps combination, unfortunately (especially for my wallet) they were not even in the same ball park. If you haven’t heard the K2s with a Krell stack in CAST mode then you have not heard even half of what K2s are capable of.

The Everest/K2 and Krell CAST technology were made for each other. CAST pulls out every detail and nuance recorded by the artist and the K2 delivers it to your ears. Delivers is probably a poor choice of words to describe the effect, floats it out, silently appears in the ether, etc.

It is unbelievable the sound field that develops, the only thing that comes to mind is sorcery. You sit there thinking to yourself how can this be happening, as the goose bumps rise on your arms and a silly grin is pasted on your face. With CAST you feel like you have been enveloped by this liquid river of sound, you’re totally submerged and drowning, but have no desire to be rescued.

Over the years many claims have been made about 3D sound, with home theatre, multiple speakers and the associated recording technology things have gotten close. The K2s with Krell CAST make it happen, on many occasions I have been listening to them and then this magical thing happens the K2s disappear the music is all around you, up, down, side to side, behind you. Try as you might to focus on each individual speaker you just can’t distinguish one from the other. The stereo imaging of the K2s is extraordinary, never heard anything like it.

If possible I strongly recommend somehow auditioning this combination just to get an appreciation of what the K2s can achieve.

Quote Originally Posted by christo View Post
    When I was audition electronics there was a particular sound I was looking for and it did involve the getting the woofer fully engaged (amongst other things). I just could not stomach listening to the K2s with the anemic bass output my current gear was producing.

When I went back to audition electronics we started with Krell Evolution 525a/202/600/CAST…audio nirvana was realized, I did listen to an Esoteric X-05 CD, BRYSTON BP26 PreAmp/28B SST2 amps combination, unfortunately (especially for my wallet) they were not even in the same ball park. If you haven’t heard the K2s with a Krell stack in CAST mode then you have not heard even half of what K2s are capable of.

The Everest/K2 and Krell CAST technology were made for each other. CAST pulls out every detail and nuance recorded by the artist and the K2 delivers it to your ears. Delivers is probably a poor choice of words to describe the effect, floats it out, silently appears in the ether, etc.

It is unbelievable the sound field that develops, the only thing that comes to mind is sorcery. You sit there thinking to yourself how can this be happening, as the goose bumps rise on your arms and a silly grin is pasted on your face. With CAST you feel like you have been enveloped by this liquid river of sound, you’re totally submerged and drowning, but have no desire to be rescued.

Over the years many claims have been made about 3D sound, with home theatre, multiple speakers and the associated recording technology things have gotten close. The K2s with Krell CAST make it happen, on many occasions I have been listening to them and then this magical thing happens the K2s disappear the music is all around you, up, down, side to side, behind you. Try as you might to focus on each individual speaker you just can’t distinguish one from the other. The stereo imaging of the K2s is extraordinary, never heard anything like it.

If possible I strongly recommend somehow auditioning this combination just to get an appreciation of what the K2s can achieve.
    As a new JBL 1400 user, all I can say is 1400 Array + Krell KSA 150 = closest to Nirvana so far

The Krells just seem to have what it takes to get the best out of the modern JBL's, and yet when I've heard them on some older more sensitive (less refined ??) JBL's, I've been less than impressed. All about the synergy I suspect.

Cheers

'Nutz
    Thats not a speaker ......*That's* a Speaker !
    (With apologies to Michael J. "Crocodile" Dundee)

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    I wonder if this is a bit too low rent for your K2's. I've never heard it myself.
    Sadly, it does not seem to be a good match. It's a very nice product, and in the right combination, I think it would be a stellar performer.

I might keep it for something else, though. I've got a few more days to try it out with other speakers.
    Out.

Hey everyone, I was going to post some impressions of amps I've been auditioning. In rereading the thread to get things back in context in my mind, I got stuck reading and rereading Scotty's recent posts. Gosh, he was so happy about all this and genuinely enthusiastic (like so many of you) about the K2s and my experience with them...

Everyone has been supportive and kind in their comments, and I think I'm close to a decision. Lots of small things are adding up to big things where the K2s are concerned. I'm happier with them every day; blissful, actually.

But remembering Scotty and missing his unflagging optimism about current music and current systems has put a little melancholy cast over my head, so I'll just wait to catch everyone up.

On a forward-looking note, grumpy, jbladdict, and I might be seeing each other this Saturday at Hsu to do a little Research that may add to the K2 saga.
    Out.

You should definitively try a THRESHOLD AUDIO S/5000e amplifier. These products are very musical and have affordable price. The company is based in Texas. Mail Kevin Lee, He might be able to find a test solution for you.
    Regards Stephane

What a fantastic thread, thanks so much Titanium dome.

Quote Originally Posted by caladois View Post
    You should definitively try a THRESHOLD AUDIO S/5000e amplifier. These products are very musical and have affordable price. The company is based in Texas. Mail Kevin Lee, He might be able to find a test solution for you.
    Thanks, I did get in touch with Threshold. We'll see how the follow up is.
    Out.

That ol' K2 Magic

I had a graduation party tonight for the employees who finished the assignment for their Senior Executive Training Class. I tasked them with creating an emergency transition plan (in case I die or go crazy for real), present it to the board, and get the board to adopt it as company policy.

At the party, the K2s drew the admiration of one young man in particular who plays guitar in a local band. He was mesmerized by them. We kept cranking them louder and louder until everyone was forced to come over and listen. By then it was chest thumping, floor shaking loud, but as clear and unforced as a whisper. Toes tapped, heads bobbed, arms meringued, and hips swiveled.

These are all 20 and 30 somethings, who don't get much exposure to this kind of musical quality. "Better than a concert..." was the general consensus. The musician quipped, "The kick on that drum is just like when I'm on stage!"

So here I am almost to my sixth decade, admired by people half my age or less all thanks to the K2s. (Or maybe because I'm so old but still alive in their eyes.)

And then...
    Out.

Thread Information