Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: New K2 S9900

A true Artist !

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    This sums it up better than anything I have ever read! To me, THIS is what it is/was always about in the first place. Listening to and enjoying music. Forget all the technical response jargon, and measurement data, these speakers evoke the HUMAN RESPONSE!

This is the BEST it gets!

maybe I'm way off beam here , but IMHO that Greg Timbers guy is an artist in the true sense of the word ." To evoke a HUMAN response " I use paint and materials, GT uses sound ,but ultimately the goal is the same . To stimulate emotion , imagination and inspire . If you can do one of these things your a good artist , to do all three, then your a great one. To transcend the intellect , social and cultural differences fall away and one is left with a human response at a primeval level. Sound is one powerful bloody medium .

I really hope Greg keeps producing his kind of art in his chosen medium.

Truth is written

Quote Originally Posted by richluvsound View Post
    maybe I'm way off beam here , but IMHO that Greg Timbers guy is an artist in the true sense of the word ." To evoke a HUMAN response " I use paint and materials, GT uses sound ,but ultimately the goal is the same . To stimulate emotion , imagination and inspire . If you can do one of these things your a good artist , to do all three, then your a great one. To transcend the intellect , social and cultural differences fall away and one is left with a human response at a primeval level. Sound is one powerful bloody medium .

I really hope Greg keeps producing his kind of art in his chosen medium.
    You're square in the mark, Rich. I've been thinking about this a lot recently, especially with the K2s in the house. Every JBL I listen to with regularity has one thing in common: Greg Timbers had a hand in it.

True, I still have the L7s, the L100s, 4430s, and the SVAs among others. Yet they've been relegated to "occasional" status. Heck, I'm even trying to sell some of them.

Right now I'm grooving on the L250s in my office. Tonight, I'll be having a little XPL200 delight, followed by some K2 heaven. This weekend the One Array system and the Performance Series will be on tap, and the S/2600s will be on in the bedroom as they are every day.

There's a sense of needing to do something to recognize the genius behind so many systems that give me and others so much pleasure. This is especially true considering the near extinction of JBL at the Harman Campus in Northridge. He (and others no doubt) should be recognized while still a part of Harman, not after the whole thing is flushed. I was actually thinking about a number of ways this could be done, including maybe hosting an event where the man and many of his systems could be in the same place. Hmm. We'll see...
    Out.

Honours !

Doug,

If Greg Timbers were British he would have received some kind of honour by now .... Knighted or M.B.E or something along those lines . I'm sure thats not important to him , but considering his commitment , innovation and achievements he deserves it . You can see in his eyes and hear in his speakers what kind of person he is He does it because he loves it ... and I have not had the pleasure,but its written all over his face lol

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post

There's a sense of needing to do something to recognize the genius behind so many systems that give me and others so much pleasure.
    And, truthfully, IMO, you have done the 1st and MOST important thing, and you will continue to do the second on a daily basis, maybe even many times a day!

1. YOU purchased a pair of K2 S9900!

2. YOU, and your family will use and listen to your K2 EVERY DAY!

Greg Timbers has made his indelible mark on you, as he has so many, and you have his creations, as working and functioning art exhibits to be a part of your life indefinitely. To me, IF I were a speaker designer/engineer, this would mean more to me than all the technical awards, and measurements. You hear and feel what it is he hears and feels. This epitomizes the definition of the word CLASSIC, because the K2 will be timeless, and a part of your life for a long, long time to come, and many others, too!

A person such as Greg Timbers has to smile when he reads forums like these, his recent flagship creations are considered to be without peer, and that is a huge testament to him within itself. But, when you sit back, and read about people still going bonkers over speaker systems like the L100, something like half a century later, as well as all his other designs before, during and after, the man is, without a doubt, A LIVING MONUMENT!

JBL, was more than fortunate as a company, as this one particular company has had so many of the very best audio artisans throughout time, from their beginning to the present. And this is what I call HISTORY!

scottyj

I feel sure Mr Timbers would be the first to share these accolades and acknowledge the sterling work put in by the other members of his design teams over the years too.

The future of JBL must truly be built on the shoulders of giants.
    Cooky

Obsolete
    There's a sense of needing to do something to recognize the genius behind so many systems that give me and others so much pleasure. This is especially true considering the near extinction of JBL at the Harman Campus in Northridge. He (and others no doubt) should be recognized while still a part of Harman, not after the whole thing is flushed. I was actually thinking about a number of ways this could be done, including maybe hosting an event where the man and many of his systems could be in the same place. Hmm. We'll see...
    Now that would be something!
    Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    A person such as Greg Timbers has to smile when he reads forums like these, his recent flagship creations are considered to be without peer, and that is a huge testament to him within itself.
    It sure beats some of the other stuff he's read!

Doug, just wondering if you could estimate when you're going to disassemble the entire speaker and show all the components laid out on a table, you know like you do with all your sets for the edification of the forum
    Performance Series 5.1/1990s L1.L5.L7/L100A
    http://adsoftheworld.com/media/tv/ac...cuses_tube_amp

Quote Originally Posted by JBLAddict View Post
    Doug, just wondering if you could estimate when you're going to disassemble the entire speaker and show all the components laid out on a table, you know like you do with all your sets for the edification of the forum
    Uh, that's probably not going to happen.

That, too is the end of an era. Notice, I didn't do this disassembly with the One Array system. I just couldn't bring myself to risk messing up something just to satisfy my curiosity. With these K2s, it's double caution for me. I cannot risk dropping, scratching, chipping, puncturing, breaking anything on these babies.

I can accept the fact that the cabinets have some small defects, because I didn't do it. I can blame that on someone else's screw up. But, man, if I ever effed these things up, I'd be kicking myself for a long, long time.

If something breaks, then that's another story, but for now I'm not going to be the guy who breaks it.
    Out.

And pray tell what would one do with such images ....... I really don't think Doug should enable your addiction in this manner. Being a self confessed addict you should be grateful to have such supportive friends

Rich

My suggestion would be to host this in cooperation with Erling Neby. Then all the great JBL's would be in one place. AND i would be able to attend.
    2213 + 2435HPL w/aquaplas + H9800 (Matsj edition)

... the genius behind so many systems ...
    This quality drove me to this forum and it is what I have wanted to show my pupils.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoerninger View Post
    An important aspect for me was to show the pupils that good craftmanship comes to a design which fullfills its goal for many years.

Quote Originally Posted by richluvsound View Post

And pray tell what would one do with such images ....... I really don't think Doug should enable your addiction in this manner. Being a self confessed addict you should be grateful to have such supportive friends

Rich

J.A. (JBL Anonymous!)

apparently, the big grinning smiley face did not convey the humor in the request, let me retract the misguided joke referencing what was done on the <fraction of the price> L-series and P-Series before anyone continues to get needlessly offended....geesh
    Er, I think Rich was pulling your leg (and your moniker), too. He's one of the most inquisitive guys there is.

In any event, not knowing if/where/when/how much/etc. I would get a part if I mucked one up, I'm taking the admittedly uncharacteristic "safe" route. Maybe once I get some Everest IIs , then I'll take a whack at opening up the K2s.
    Out.

misguided response on my part, all's good....let's keep the K2 goodness rolling

All good this side then pond !

Guy's,

I have been told my humour can be a little dry No fire them up so we all can hear um !

Rich

Thread Information