Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: New K2 S9900

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    ... but again, this is
    something that all systems could benefit from.
    ... anybody dwelling with a roof pitch?
    T.D's reflectors will not work properly ...
    (sorry for chiming in, it's more a rhetoric question)

Problems !

I do kind of envy Doug's present dilema ! what gear ? where to put them ? Nice problems to have .
    Could be a very interesting thread on placement . Based on his work in the HT set up I'm sure the experience will be well documented .Useful tips for us all I hope .

Rich

there were some interesting comparisons by Doug of Salon2 vs K2 from the CAS show, I'm wondering if this move is a statement or just taking advantage of a rare opportunity
    Performance Series 5.1/1990s L1.L5.L7/L100A
    http://adsoftheworld.com/media/tv/ac...cuses_tube_amp

Quote Originally Posted by JBLAddict View Post
    there were some interesting comparisons by Doug of Salon2 vs K2 from the CAS show, I'm wondering if this move is a statement or just taking advantage of a rare opportunity
    That's a good query that has an answer or ten.

Both the Salons and the K2s were available at and after the CAAS show.

The Salons were "cheaper" than the K2s, as you might imagine. MSRP is $22k vs $44k, so even lacking full retail, the Salons will be much less expensive and therefore more affordable.

The Salons are more full-range than the K2s, and they're more room-friendly.

The Salons have a sound that I really like a lot, and they are the next logical upgrade from the Performance Series.

The Salons have an energy and a drive that is undeniable. Almost everyone who heard them in that room immediately preferred them. They're instantly likable.

The Salons have a profile that fits easily into most spaces, and with the down-firing sub, placement is less restrictive.

So Salon is the choice, right? Well, not so fast.

Salons are plentiful on the used market, and I routinely see pairs for $10k to $12k. I expect this trend to continue, and used prices to decline even a little more. Salons will be available for some time.

I suspect Revel and Kevin Voecks will be building Salons for a long time, and that Revel will have more support from Harman than high-end JBLs will.

I've never seen K2 S9900s on the used market, don't expect to see any soon, and if I do see them I don't expect them to be $10k or $12k like the Salons--more like $22k to $25k+.

Recent acquisitions have given me the chance to mess around with building a PT250, and, with Grumpy's help, I expect that project to sublimate my Ti Dome fixation for a while. It can be my Salon substitute for now.

The chance to purchase a pair of K2s that were very lightly veneer-damaged and thus price reduced by Harman is possibly once-in-a-lifetime.

The fact that the "secret K2 audition" after hours at CAAS occurred with some respected Lansing Heritage members in the room gave me the chance to listen to opinions from people whom I trust. How often will Widget, Bo, Ian, and Grumpy be in one room able to comment and dissect the experience, especially over some wine and Long Islands afterward. I knew the second I heard them in that room after hearing the Salons, that while I wanted the Salons, I needed the K2s. The others corroborated my opinion, even if they didn't know they were on my selection panel.

Terry and Widget were extra helpful in making this all work out, and in the end, the opportunity was too great to ignore. These K2s possibly are the last full expression of JBL high end speakers; at the least, they are the last from Northridge.

Finally, they are just too beautiful not to desire them. Pictures do not tell the story of either their full visual beauty or their stunning aural beauty. Perhaps, if I hadn't heard them after the Salons it wouldn't have happened. My prejudice would have taken me to the Salons, and I'd be singing their praises instead.

However, I did hear them, and I knew I had to do what I could to possess them. Slowly, cooly, methodically, patiently, and with determination, I took the time to get everything in order, and when the time was right they were still available. I jumped.
    Out.

Cool

congrats

i have heard the K2 9900 in a semi dedicated room and thy are a fantastic speaker
    i love the sound of that mg 4" driver and horn I would just call it so fast and effortless and tact-full

bass is just right

i have compared them in the same room with Revel studio 2 witch is a very nice and power-full speaker but i do prefer the K2

i have also heard the salons but not at the same time

you are a very lucky guy

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    That's a good query that has an answer or ten.

The Salons are more full-range than the K2s

The Salons have an energy and a drive that is undeniable. Almost everyone who heard them in that room immediately preferred them.

Salons are plentiful on the used market, and I routinely see pairs for $10k to $12k. I expect this trend to continue, and used prices to decline even a little more. Salons will be available for some time.

I knew the second I heard them in that room after hearing the Salons, that while I wanted the Salons, I needed the K2s. The others corroborated my opinion, even if they didn't know they were on my selection panel.

Finally, they are just too beautiful not to desire them.
    Thanks for the well thought out response, I understand that this is a comparison that cannot elicit a "these are better so I bought them instead" type response, as hard as some of us try to create a type of mental Harman product hierarchy

But understand how difficult this acquisition makes it for forum members to begin even asking discussion questions, since the basis of comparison is soooo far removed. As vastly interested as most of us are in vicarious detail, the best some of us can come up with is, " do they sound 50X better than my L__ 43__ or 100X better than my L__ 43__

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by JBLAddict View Post
    As vastly interested as most of us are in vicarious detail, the best some of us can come up with is, " do they sound 50X better than my L__ 43__ or 100X better than my L__ 43__
    While they sound 30 years better than an S22 system from 1980 an S22 system in 2010 dollars is "only" ~ $8k per pair. So where does the extra $32k go? Well, upper management paychecks have reached astronomical proportions over the years and it takes a ton of cash to support such ludicrously lavish expenses. Harman would do well to outsource its top level management and dramatically reduce that inane expense. There is an endless supply of "third-world" talent that could run that company just fine.

As far as the actual loudspeakers go:

The 1500AL is definitely worth the price increase over the 136H.

The 476Mg is definitely better than the venerable 376/2441. I've been told that the 476Mg is quite a bit less expensive than the 476Be but it has to be more expensive than the 2452H-SL at ~ $1,500.

The 045Ti is less expensive than the 077/2405 in 2010 dollars and offers substantially improved performance in a home listening environment. The 077/2405 still wins for SR, you just can't beat that sensitivity.

The network cost is roughly the same scaled to 2010 dollars but the networks themselves are substantially improved over an LX80A/N7000 combo.

And finally, there is no comparison between a 1980 EN5C and a 2010 K2-S9900 enclosure. The new box wins hands down.

In short, the K2-S9900 is probably more along the lines of a $12k to $16k loudspeaker once you dump the $40 million dollar a year CEO and his ilk.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post

In short, the K2-S9900 is probably more along the lines of a $12k to $16k loudspeaker once you dump the $40 million dollar a year CEO and his ilk.

cuz Lord knows they're not spending it on marketing

?????? WTF? Wow!

Alright, here's the deal.

Last night I cooked some Hebrew National dogs (I know it's not Vienna Beef, Chicago denizens) and made some Chicago dogs, along with some other goodies for dinner. While I cooked, I put on Heart's "The Road Home" CD (Grumpy gets it), and for the first time ever--did I write EVER?--when Huiky came home she didn't glower and say, "Can you turn that down?" She listened to the whole CD through supper and commented, "It seems like I am right there at the concert. It's really nice."

The K2 s are so effortless even at moderate volumes that we could talk as we normally do at dinner, and still the music played on in excellent fidelity.

So tonight we went out to one of our favorite places: 22nd Street Landing in San Pedro. I had salmon, she had the Fisherman's Platter; she had a glass of merlot and I had a couple of Rum Runners. When we got home, she asked, "What are you going to do?"

Before I could answer, she suggested, "Let's listen to Heart on the new speakers." I mean this has never happened in ten years of being together.

I said, "Sure."

We sat down and listened, and we listened to the entire CD.

The.
    Entire.
    CD.

We have literally NEVER done this in ten years. Songs that we knew, we sang along, tapped our fingers, smiled at each other. But we listened to music. Together.

I was in bliss. It was bliss for her, too.

Over the past day or two, I've experimented with positioning the K2s, literally an inch at a time. I'm measuring, listening, evaluating, moving. I don't know if I'm there yet, but for her, it's already head and shoulders above anything else I've got. Tonight was proof of that.

If you want to know how much better these speakers are to anything else I've got, if you want some kind of review as to how good they really are, there's your review right there. Nothing else in TEN YEARS has evoked a spontaneous request to listen to music until now.

If anyone ever asks, "Are the K2 S9900s really worth $44k?" My reply is "Yes." (Well, truthfully, f@#k yes, but you get the idea. And of course, I didn't really pay the full $44k.) If these beautiful loudspeakers can evoke that kind of response from the person I love the most, then it's a no-brainer acquisition. It's the best money I've ever spent on audio.

Take my word for it.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by richluvsound View Post
    I do kind of envy Doug's present dilema ! what gear ? where to put them ? Nice problems to have .
    Could be a very interesting thread on placement . Based on his work in the HT set up I'm sure the experience will be well documented .Useful tips for us all I hope .

Rich
    Rich

I'd actually like to get a set of readings from various placements to post here. I think I'll need to get Grumpy to bring his MacBook Pro and FuzzMeasure over.

It seems clear that even a few inches makes a difference, and every change gives something and takes something away. I need some effing graphs to back up my subjective impressions.
    Out.

Vous lire est un réel plaisir !!

Thanks Titanium Dome for all these comments. Day after day, It's really a pleasure to read your post
    I believe this is the best and the biggest money spend on speaker and your WAF is more than good to you.

You should tell her that with a new electronic gear, it should outperform (if possible)
    Regards Stephane

Idea !!!!

Doug,

how about a romantic weekend in Reno ? Not with me , behave yourself man ! .... Take the good lady away to help you chose an amp ,pre amp combo.

I was drooling there yesterday . Some good deals in stock at the moment .... Also,perhaps there are a few dealers that will bring gear around to your home for you to demo.....

keep us posted , Rich

Obsolete
    If anyone ever asks, "Are the K2 S9900s really worth $44k?" My reply is "Yes." (Well, truthfully, f@#k yes, but you get the idea. And of course, I didn't really pay the full $44k.) If these beautiful loudspeakers can evoke that kind of response from the person I love the most, then it's a no-brainer acquisition. It's the best money I've ever spent on audio.

Take my word for it.
    Well that's a huge plus. I think we all enjoy it a whole lot more when our families share in the experience.

Speaking of Heart, I just bought their Live in Seattle DVD.

Graphs shmaphs. That's all well and good, but holy smokes batman, you've hit the trifecta! Well done sir.

Alright, here's the deal.

Last night I cooked some Hebrew National dogs (I know it's not Vienna Beef, Chicago denizens) and made some Chicago dogs, along with some other goodies for dinner. While I cooked, I put on Heart's "The Road Home" CD (Grumpy gets it), and for the first time ever--did I write EVER?--when Huiky came home she didn't glower and say, "Can you turn that down?" She listened to the whole CD through supper and commented, "It seems like I am right there at the concert. It's really nice."

The K2 s are so effortless even at moderate volumes that we could talk as we normally do at dinner, and still the music played on in excellent fidelity.

So tonight we went out to one of our favorite places: 22nd Street Landing in San Pedro. I had salmon, she had the Fisherman's Platter; she had a glass of merlot and I had a couple of Rum Runners. When we got home, she asked, "What are you going to do?"

Before I could answer, she suggested, "Let's listen to Heart on the new speakers." I mean this has never happened in ten years of being together.

I said, "Sure."

We sat down and listened, and we listened to the entire CD.

The.
    Entire.
    CD.

We have literally NEVER done this in ten years. Songs that we knew, we sang along, tapped our fingers, smiled at each other. But we listened to music. Together.

I was in bliss. It was bliss for her, too.

If you want to know how much better these speakers are to anything else I've got, if you want some kind of review as to how good they really are, there's your review right there. Nothing else in TEN YEARS has evoked a spontaneous request to listen to music until now.

Take my word for it.
    This sums it up better than anything I have ever read! To me, THIS is what it is/was always about in the first place. Listening to and enjoying music. Forget all the technical response jargon, and measurement data, these speakers evoke the HUMAN RESPONSE!

This is the BEST it gets!

scottyj

Thread Information