Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: New K2 S9900

so if there where no sub around the dealers room who are the guys that sell the product
    they probably think thy are just fine as thy are specially when thy are selling other systems with higher prices

one thing is too see the specs of an anechoic measurement and another is what happens when the actual speaker is in a certain room

of course jbl can build a system that gos all the way down to infra world

the questions is way they did not do this

one of the answers might be that the Everest has a lot more opportunity to sound good in many different types of rooms with this configuration than one that goes down too infra world

how many of the guys in hi fi hi end etc etc have an parametric EQ and the measurement chops and equipment to adjust the room gain

most of the people in hi end are against eq

sorry for the typos

Hi Valentin,

That is a good point but I think it comes down to what a particular market or in fact customer deems necessary after hearing a particular system.

I mean you can argue the case as we see above of a sub being necessary for any system if you want. Hearing a true hi end system of the calibre is the real measure of what is or isn't required.

JBL have gone to great lengths to create a particular bass quality with these systems that just has to be heard.

The Everest manual covers most of your questions quite intuitively

http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Ow...0(English).pdf
    The surrounding environment for the speakers affects bass quality. Placing
    the speakers closer to the wall behind them or to the side walls will result in
    an abundance of bass, but placing them too close will result in dull bass. On
    the other hand, too much distance will reduce the bass output but result in
    fast and sharp bass. The low-frequency alignment feature enables placing the
    speakers near (or even in) a corner without producing an overabundance of
    bass. This corner placement allows optimal performance, even in small
    rooms. Find the most suitable location by using various source materials.

I'm one of the few that get the JBL flagship direction!

Everyone is so caught up in the specs of speakers and the price of them.

I happen to use the JBL 2226 for LF duty, most of my favorite and best recorded music has "natural instraments" not electronic garbage which has very little energy below 40hz.

I find that even though the response of the 2226 is limited on the bottom end that it plays well enough for me to enjoy the distortion/compression free sound I enjoy.

I don't need much response below 40hz and with the Edgarhorns I use on the HF section with 1.4"/2" compression drivers I'm pretty much cloning a poor man's Everest system.

I will never have the funds to purchase the Everest Flagship speaker system, so I am doing what is the best alternative available to me. And it does sound good enough for my purposes!

I don't live for specs, I live for the best music reproduction I can achieve within my means using proven crossover designs and quality drivers I can afford.

I would love to have the latest product from JBL, but I live in the real world. And I don't suffer from lack of bass extension with drivers that roll off around 60hz but stay around down to 40hz in a small room.

It's the clarity and distortion free sound that makes it great. JBL's niche market knows that and they are not complaining!!!

The bottom line is JBL's top models are EXTREMELY clean sounding, and that is what you pay for in the end!!!

Regards, Ron
    JBL Pro for home use!

Quote Originally Posted by spkrman57 View Post
    It's the clarity and distortion free sound that makes it great. ...
    Big point

Everyone is so caught up in the specs of speakers and the price of them.

I happen to use the JBL 2226 for LF duty, most of my favorite and best recorded music has "natural instraments" not electronic garbage which has very little energy below 40hz.

I find that even though the response of the 2226 is limited on the bottom end that it plays well enough for me to enjoy the distortion/compression free sound I enjoy.

I don't need much response below 40hz and with the Edgarhorns I use on the HF section with 1.4"/2" compression drivers I'm pretty much cloning a poor man's Everest system.

I will never have the funds to purchase the Everest Flagship speaker system, so I am doing what is the best alternative available to me. And it does sound good enough for my purposes!

I don't live for specs, I live for the best music reproduction I can achieve within my means using proven crossover designs and quality drivers I can afford.

I would love to have the latest product from JBL, but I live in the real world. And I don't suffer from lack of bass extension with drivers that roll off around 60hz but stay around down to 40hz in a small room.

It's the clarity and distortion free sound that makes it great. JBL's niche market knows that and they are not complaining!!!

The bottom line is JBL's top models are EXTREMELY clean sounding, and that is what you pay for in the end!!!

Regards, Ron
    So is "I" saying that "natural instraments" have very little energy below 40 Hz or that electronic garbage has very little energy below 40 Hz?
    Out.

http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Ow...0(English).pdf

This corner placement allows optimal performance, even in small
    rooms.

I find that to be true with the music I listen to, especially when using the TT system, even though I have a pair of SUB1500s connected. I can turn them off and get about the same sound running the custom L212s full range.
    Living in the Land of the Sun

Response to 40hz is adequate for most of my music!

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    So is "I" saying that "natural instraments" have very little energy below 40 Hz or that electronic garbage has very little energy below 40 Hz?
    Let me rephrase that: Most of my music has little content under 40hz!

Sometimes I do get the urge to listen to pipe organ music and other musical selections that do go lower. I just add a powered sub for those "once in awhile" occasions!

I get quite a bit of "room gain" using my 2226's that fill most of my needs for pleasureable listening.

My next project will include JBL 2240 in 4 cu ft tuned to 40hz that is estimated to be -3db down at 60hz and -10db down at 39hz. I'm betting the room gain will restore enough LF energy to play down to 45hz with no problems. My 2226 systems are -3db at 50hz and still play down low enough for a 4 string bass to be heard clearly.

But I "DO" understand some folks need more bottom end LF response than I do! So I must be in the minority of the audiophile group.

Regards, Ron
    JBL Pro for home use!

How many watts were they trying to feed to the speaker system that would blow them up?

Probably not a problem with normal home use I'm sure!

Regards, Ron
    Hmmm... maybe not the 1500 AL but the Xover LF resistors will burn up at 4-500w at 8ohms, I know

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    JBL have gone to great lengths to create a particular bass quality with these systems that just has to be heard.
    I think that sums it up. I have not heard the newer systems, but have heard the S9800. I am not good at describing sound, but to put it simply it was awesome. I can only imagine what the newer systems sound like.

Allen

There are some nice additions to the K2 S9900 technical thread. Be certain to look them over. The material is absolutely brilliant.

A big thanks goes out to Techbot. (You know who you are.)
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Loffen View Post
    Hmmm... maybe not the 1500 AL but the Xover LF resistors will burn up at 4-500w at 8ohms, I know

Hmm I am using a Krell fpb 700cx on my S9800. I have no problems at all..
    The Fpb 700 is measured to over 900W at 8ohms and 1600w at 4ohms.
    And i use ALL of it, with no problems at all.
    But of course if the amp is clipping.?? not quite the speakers fault.

Just had to replay even if it is a long time ago :-)

I really do not think that my Parasound JC1 can clip...
    And clipping is the reason for burning a resistor or two ? Do not think so.....

I really do not think that my Parasound JC1 can clip...

PLEASE STOP

You ask many questions that I can not answer. The JC-1 is a very powerful amplifier (800W into 4 ohms) rated and will burn resistors or even loudspeakers, if they are not able to stand the power. It is difficult to 'clip' the JC-1 because it has such large output swing, AND it has almost unlimited peak current. Just look at the peak power rating in the 'Stereophile' JC-1 review.
    I do not use the JC-1 to drive my WATTS, because it is too powerful for them, and I cannot afford to break them accidently. They are primarily designed for powerful home theater systems and large electrostatic speakers and they do well in this mode.

Who did say this ???????

Check out the next tread.....

Thread Information