Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: New K2 S9900

Came home tonight to music playing in the house. Darned if she didn't figure it out and turn on the K2 system all by herself and groove to it.

This from a person who is as technophobic as they come: "I don't understand this stupid stuff! It's too complicated."

Except, apparently, where the K2s are concerned.
    Out.

Updated

I came into a pair of Synthesis® S2S 15" passive subs for a few hundred bucks. I thought, this will be a better sub to go with the K2s.

Yesterday I pulled out the S3S subs and put the S2S subs in nearly the same place, moved the K2s out just a bit more, re-toed them, and let her rip! OH MY!

First order of business: lower the subwoofer output by a couple of dB.

Second order of business: play that French House standard by David Guetta, "Love Is Gone."

Third order of business: drool and grin like a fool.

Fourth order of business: check my pants.

Fifth order of business: answer the front door. OOOPS!

Widget, wherever you are, you really had a point about the S2S. Amazing sub. I wouldn't trade it for the S1S in a HT, but as a 40 Hz and below adjunct for music, it's incredi-burg-ible.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Out.

Obsolete
    I'm sorry to have to say it in public but the S2S is nowhere near the same caliber as the K2-S9900.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    I'm sorry to have to say it in public but the S2S is nowhere near the same caliber as the K2-S9900.
    Don't be sorry; you're right. It's obvious in every detail. There's no reason not to tell the truth.

Fortunately, I only need them to work below 40 Hz and not very loudly at that. I'd say 95% or more of what I play is never going below 40, and I can just leave them off or damped by the amp.

But when it's time to play club mixes, dance, and trance, well then, they give it to me, and they give it to me hard. I've openly admitted to being a bass whore who can't resist the pumping and pounding.
    Out.

I love the K2s S9900s. But I might love the Array 1400's even more. I am so conflicted. The 1400s seemed to be able to float a voice in the room better, which I know sounds like audiophile bullshit. Different rooms, different amps etc. but damn, you guys are on to something.

The Arrays are superb, no doubt. I love the SAM1 units in my HT. Personal taste does come into play though, as I like the K2s better overall.

When I got the chance to hear Array 1400, K2, and Ultima2 Salon in the same room, it was instantly clear to me I had to have the K2s. In fact, in that room I would have chosen the Revel Ultima2 Salons over the 1400 Arrays, and I nearly bought the Salons since they're much less expensive. But the K2s haunted me, teased me, left me restless with desire.

It's hard to describe the difference without using language that does sound like BS, but I know there's a difference, and I really like the K2s more. To me, the 1400 Arrays seem "tonally deeper and darker" in direct comparison, but seem "tonally open and light" when auditioned alone.

At half the price, the 1400 Array is a stunning deal and a great bargain, easily eclipsing much more expensive speakers. IMO it does not eclipse the K2, and at my age it's balls-to-the-wall, no-holds-barred, get-it-while-you-can, leave-no-regrets, let's-git-'er-done time.
    Out.

It is very true what Titanium dome has said about the Array 1400's and the K2.

The Array 1400's are amazing in every way but once you hear the 9900's done properly there is no going back.

I tell people the same thing with expensive things in life. If I always just read about them instead of purchasing some things along the way, I may never enjoy life,and it may end up being to late.

We all just go around once.

I have the Array 1400 in a nice soundroom and in our show room we have the K2

our showroom is not a great room and under those conditions some pepole have told me that the arrays sound better

but too me the K2 simply do a better job and i know the room is playing a big roll

K2 are simply excelent 1400array are just great

both bring art into our homes.

just my two cents

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    At half the price, the 1400 Array is a stunning deal and a great bargain...
    Er, um... 1/4 the price.

Here is an excerpt from a post I just made on another thread that briefly reitterates my take on these two great speakers:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    ..., the sound of the K2-S9900 would satisfy you beyond belief... however it does cost $44,000 a pair. You might find the much more affordable 1400 Array enjoyable, but it is definitely not quite as dynamic and the bass is a bit heavy and the upper bass/lower mids are not quite as articulate... this is not to say that I find this speaker displeasing... I love it and enjoy the hell out of my pair, but being as objective as I can be, I can hear slight aberrations from some unattainable ideal. That said, I had the opportunity to acquire a pair of the K2s and chose the 1400 Arrays even though aesthetically I preferred the K2s and there were many subtle sonic improvements. Cost was a consideration as was the need of an external sub or two to make the K2 do exactly what I felt I needed. Basically what I am saying is that even at this level there are significant compromises that must be weighed and considered.

Widget

I am curious if anyone has used a really high power on the Array's-perhaps similar to what James Tanner of Bryston used when he had my pair......28B SST2? I know the speakers are 'rated' @ 300wpc but I would bet that a really great amp such as that MAY eliminate some of the bass issues that some people have.

I would love to find out.
    Last edited by tom1040; 01-18-2011 at 11:20 AM. Reason: grammer

Have heard the 1400's with a high power Crest PA amplifier. It sounded like there was thunder inside the room.

So yes. Having an amplifier with great control of the woofer is a must. But I don't believe that watts is all the answer.
    2213 + 2435HPL w/aquaplas + H9800 (Matsj edition)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Er, um... 1/4 the price.

Here is an excerpt from a post I just made on another thread that briefly reitterates my take on these two great speakers:

Widget
    You're right, as I wrote here a long time ago it seems:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post292325

Old age is a drag.

And I really do believe you about the sub(s), too. Despite my rationalizing of the S2S subs above, that range of 40 Hz down to 25 Hz makes a discernible difference on some of my favorite music. I'll just tone it down when Grumpy comes over.
    Out.

The K2/Synthesis demo in the trailer at CES was impressive. The trailer is not the best atmosphere to showcase this kind of system, though...but it was nicely isolated from any nearby competing demos.

The Array 1400 demo was decent until the turntable was loaded with a scratchy, distorted piece of vinyl.

I hope some Harman people visited Andrew Jones in the TAD suite to hear/see how a high-end demo should be done.

The finest loudspeaker/music system on the planet today is the TAD Reference One....and they are expertly showcased every year at CES by Mr.Jones. TAD manufactures everything in the system. MSRP $78,000/pair...~$195,000.00 for the complete TAD 2 channel system not including cabling-bling.

The Revels on display were quite an impressive demo as well, and Kevin Voecks is a great guy. $22,000/pair.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Quote Originally Posted by timc View Post
    So yes. Having an amplifier with great control of the woofer is a must. But I don't believe that watts is all the answer.
    Having auditioned the Bryston 28B SST and KRELL Evolution 600 with K2 99s the difference between how each amplifier controlled the woofer was night and day. The bass with the KRELL was deeper, smoother, tighter and kudos to the K2s for being absolutely effortless.

The greatest joy I get from the K2/KRELL combo system is how quietly you can play it with absolutely no loss of detail headphones for me are a thing of the past.

I was actually quite surprised to see Ti Dome adding sub-woofers to the K2 - man you’re messing with perfection . Mind you my preference for bass somewhat leans toward the other side of the pacific.

Quote Originally Posted by christo View Post

I was actually quite surprised to see Ti Dome adding sub-woofers to the K2 - man you’re messing with perfection . Mind you my preference for bass somewhat leans toward the other side of the pacific.
    Understood. It's not the worst thing I've been accused of, but it is close to a crime I suppose. I feel better having had the designer recommend this, though that might have been in deference to me not having $20k-$30k to spend on electronics.
    Out.

Thread Information