Thread: Picked up a pair of 4312As that need some work...

Picked up a pair of 4312As that need some work...

Just picked up a pair of 4312As that need some work. the drivers look to be okay but the speakers were wall mounted and accordingly they drilled holes in the sides. I would like to repair them and have some questions...
    1. I want to reveneer the cabinets. do I need to remove the old veneer or can I just sand down the old and refinish with new? Help would be appreciated here.
    2. How difficult will it be to replace/rebuild new griiles?
    3. I would like to replace the crossover capacitors. How can you remove the crossovers? How hard is it to remove the foilcal without damaging it?
    Thanks in advance...
    Attached Images Attached Images     

I have a pair of these that I like very much.

I suppose you could make new grills like I did from new non-particle board and cover them with new cloth. This can be done with few tools such as a saber saw. The cloth is secured using contact cement.

As for the damaged veneer, it looks like new veneer may be the best option. I would see a cabnet shop for advice here.

The seller came by with the speakers. Unfortunately, the water damage was too severe. The speaker cabinet was literally a spongy mass in the back and it was splitting along the edges. The drivers looked okay on one speaker but the damaged one was all moldy inside so I passed.

Thread Information