Thread: Big JBL order coming!

Big JBL order coming!

Just purchased some new JBL gear. Big order for me!

I got a pair of L890s, a LC2 center channel, and L8400P sub.

I plan to drive them with my HK AVR630, and use a pair of Northridge E80s as the rears, and Northridge E10s as the sides.

Prices were very good online; for example, the L890s were about 50% off retail.

Now I've got to put a lot of older JBL stuff up for sale to make room!

I know that feeling. Lots to move out before the new stuff moves in. That sounds like a winning combo, and it's news stuff, so good job there.

Will you eventually go all Studio L Series? (I bet you will )
    Out.

Oh yeah, my GF reminded me last night how tolerant she's been with all the JBL stuff. That's usually a sign to make at least a token effort to get rid of a few things.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    Oh yeah, my GF reminded me last night how tolerant she's been with all the JBL stuff. That's usually a sign to make at least a token effort to get rid of a few things.
    May also be a sign of providing a few extras for Valentine's Day which isn't far off. Of course, I'm confident that your GF gets much more than just one day's attention.

Regards,

Bart
    When faced with another JBL find, Good mech986 says , JBL Fan mech986 says

I might ultimately go entirely new Studio L-series, but I don't know if its really worth it to sell a perfectly good pair of Northridge E80s and E10s, to replace them with L820s and L830s (or L880s). After all, I am only using the Northridge speakers as the sides, and rears. However, if I can find a good price, I might be able to negotiate the Studio L-series speakers as my Christmas present for 2009!

I'm hoping that the front line combo of L890s, LC2, and L8400P will be a winning one!

Quote Originally Posted by wu6fiend View Post

I'm hoping that the front line combo of L890s, LC2, and L8400P will be a winning one!
    L820s will blend very nicely on the sides, and can be had pretty cheap at Harman's eBay store.

I thought about that (L820s as sides), but would I really hear a difference between them and the Northridge E10s? I have read that the L820s are quite big, and heavy too (it says you must screw into wall studs to take the weight). Maybe the smaller L810 would be a better (and cheaper) choice.

Plus, the Harman store refuses to ship to Canada, and refuses to take a non-U.S. based credit card. I would be happy to buy from them, but it seems they don't want my business.

We will see how my Studio L-series/Northridge E Series combination sounds. If I'm not satisfied, then the rest of the L-series will have to be purchased too.

I thought about that (L820s as sides), but would I really hear a difference between them and the Northridge E10s? I have read that the L820s are quite big, and heavy too (it says you must screw into wall studs to take the weight). Maybe the smaller L810 would be a better (and cheaper) choice.
    The L820 is only 19lbs, compared to the PT800, which is over 30lbs. I use EZ anchors to hold up my PT800s and L212s to the walls. Two EZ anchors are more than enough to hold that weight.
    The only thing you need is a battery drill with a philips head tip. The EZ screws into the drywall and then the supplied screw threads into the EZ anchor. The holes in the wall mount fit over the screw head. The EZ anchors will even screw into framing, if you happen to hit on a stud.

Living in the Land of the Sun

EZ Anchors are your friend.
    Out.

Thanks, I will try those.

I will probably get the L820s ultimately. Now all I need to do is decide which L-series model will serve as rears...

-L830 on stands
    -L880 towers
    -L820 on stands

Anybody have any opinions?

Thanks, I will try those.

I will probably get the L820s ultimately. Now all I need to do is decide which L-series model will serve as rears...

-L830 on stands
    -L880 towers
    -L820 on stands

Anybody have any opinions?
    My preference is to use identical surrounds, but all models in the Studio L series are timbre matched, so any combo will work.
    Living in the Land of the Sun

FedEX truck arrived this afternoon, and dropped off:

L890 pair
    LC2 center
    L8400P sub

Got them all hooked up, and Steely Dan sounded so good, I had to run and order:

L820 pair
    L830 pair

Now I have the complete 7.1 setup!!

For anyone considering these, here are my initial observations:

-very full, warm sound. Piano sounds very lifelike, and sax too
    -the speakers are heavy, well constructed, and fit & finish is good
    -grills fit well, and are about 1/4" away from the face of the speaker

I think they represent extremely good value, particularly at the prices offered online. My wife was pleased, and actually agreed with my decision to order the remaining two members of the family without a fuss!

I hesitated over the L830s as rear surround; maybe a pair of L880s instead. But, I really don't need another set of big towers, and (in the longterm) a set of bookshelfs are more adaptable.

By this time in about two weeks, the entire series should be up and operating.

Congratulations! That's good news. Enjoy.
    Out.

Just got a pair of 890's for under $650 shipped. Set them up and listened to them over the weekend. I was shocked at the performance with a Yamaha reciever. Going to see how much they can improve with my Aragon 4004MKII. Worth every penny so far!

I've been extremely pleased so far with the L890s, in combo with the L8400P sub. They sound excellent, even at moderate/low volume. I haven't hooked up the LC2 center yet, as it is too big to fit in the stand for my LCD projection tv, and I'm not sure I want it on the wall above the set. So I'm either considering a custom made cabinet, or buying one at a furniture store, that is large enough to accomodate all my components, in addition to the LC2. At nearly 13" high, it is an unusually sized center, to be sure.

I paid about $599 plus shipping, for a pair of L890s, which is a screaming deal, considering that the local dealer wanted $799 Cdn. each for them.

I can't wait to get the entire system set up. I'm tempted to buy another L8400P sub, which I really don't need, but...

I think the Studio L-series is a fantastic lineup, and I'm thrilled with it!

Thread Information