Thread: Heathkit as-101

Heathkit as-101

I just picked up a pair of Heathkit as-101 for an obscenely good deal. The cabs need a little refurb but the moulding is intact. Someone took out the original Heathkit crossovers and substituted Altec n501-8a's. Should I leave them in or refurbish the Heathkit crossovers? I notice one of the horn drivers sound a little more saturated than the other with treble( slightly more "sizzly"). Could this be due to having the wrong crossovers?

Are these Altec 15" woofers and compression drivers with the 800 horns in a furniture cab?

Anyway, If yes, I owned a pair for 30+ years and have been kicking myself for selling them 5 or 6 years ago.

The issue you discussed is likely caused by old diaphrams in the compression drivers, old electonic components in the crossovers or both.

Try swapping the compression drivers left to right and see if the issue follows the driver. If yes, consider replacing both diaphragms.

Great Plains Audio is the successor to Altec Inc. and can do a diaphragm change for you.

this with

Quote Originally Posted by hatrack71 View Post
    I just picked up a pair of Heathkit as-101 for an obscenely good deal. The cabs need a little refurb but the moulding is intact. Someone took out the original Heathkit crossovers and substituted Altec n501-8a's. Should I leave them in or refurbish the Heathkit crossovers? I notice one of the horn drivers sound a little more saturated than the other with treble( slightly more "sizzly"). Could this be due to having the wrong crossovers?
    The Heathkit crossovers are superior to the Altec ones.

Bob Walker

Thread Information