Thread: L100 crossover restoration

L100 crossover restoration

Hey, I have a pair of L100s I just got and the l pads are pretty scratchy on the right speaker. The sound is quieter from that speaker too so I think it's time to replace the l pads and caps and was just wondering the best way to go about this. From what I recollect from reading about this like a month ago is I should unscrew the woofer and midrange. Heat the foilcal up with a hair dryer and peel it off, then unscrew the crossover. Is that correct?

Also how do I put the foilcal back on? Will I have to reapply an adhesive on the back?

And last question. Will these work as replacements for the lpads: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=260-248

Thanks a lot for any help

Andrew

There's no need to remove the midrange, it's isolated in it's own little sub-chamber, therefore you can't access the inside of the cabinet through there. It sounds like you know the steps already. Some fresh contact cement will help the foilcal stay down flat after the repair. I don't peel the whole thing off, just the corner. I haven't tried those L-pads, but they look OK.

Thanks for the reassurance Don. So I only need to peel off a corner to get access to the screws? And if so which corner should I work on?

There are four screws, and you should be able to see three screw heads, around the foilcal. The last one is hidden under the foilcal, on the lower left.

Thanks a lot Don, hopefully all goes well when I get around to it, but as we all know that never happens.

I just bought four of the 50w ones from Parts Express, here is the link :

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/psho...number=260-255

Since I'm planning on making a switchable crossover between the JBL design and Dennis Murphy's (see the link to thread below), I am going to make new JBL spec crossovers. The L-pads listed about have 1/4" longer shafts than the JBL ones, all I'm going to do is use a piece of 1/2" mdf and mount the capacitors and L-pads on there. If you keep your original crossovers in one piece, you can get a few bucks for them on eBay.

Link to my crossover restoration/upgrade page :

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...955#post304955

Lee.

Whoops... almost forgot. I used a heat gun instead of a hair dryer to remove my foils, the hairdryer didn't have enough heat. I also used a thick plastic spreader the kind you use from shaping auto body filler. It might be easier removing the whole foil rather than just lifting a corner, you don't want to bend these at all if you can help it.

That one screw under the foil is a bad design. I'm going to mount my new crossovers screwing them from the inside into the baffle, and do away with those screw holes on the front. Think restomod...

Thread Information