Thread: Turntable Isolation

Turntable Isolation

I want to devise an isolation system for my turntable and I thought I'd turn to you guys for some tips and things to watch out for when designing one.

At the moment I'm considering suspending a heavy 'shelf' with neoprene pads underneath my turntable. I would suspend the 'shelf' from the actual shelf above it with all-thread rod and have isolators suspended with the all-thread. I would then place a neoprene isolation pad between the 'shelf' and my turntable. (picture is attached, apologies on the cruelty)

Some of my concerns are:
    The two different types of isolators oscillating with each other harmonically, making the vibration worse for my turntable.
    The wide range of frequencies being dealt with. I don't know if the set-up will be able to handle all of them.

You're input would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Is the turntable at your house? If so do you have a wooden floor? What you can do in this case is cut a hole in the floor and run a steel pole through the floor direct into the ground, put a shelf on top of it and your turntable will never vibrate again. On a concrete floor you can do a similar thing but bolt the steel pole to the concrete. The result will be the same.

I already tried that... twice. Once with a 6' x 6' x 6' concrete block in the middle of my living room as an anchor and the pole coming out of it...

????

What is the turntable and what is the nature of your problem ?

It's a Denon DP-47F.

I'm not having a problem... yet. I'm moving it upstairs where the floor will be considerably more springy.

In my old apartment years ago I suspended an AR 'table from the ceiling using monofilament fishing line. I used machine hardware including screw eyes, washers and wing nuts at the four corners of an MDF platform. This allowed for easy leveling. It was fiddly to begin a record and then stop the platform from swaying, but the isolation afforded was excellent. My only mistake was to not provide a shelf immediately below the platform. One morning while I was in the bathtub a line broke and the whole mess came crashing down.

I have since heard from several folks that a wall mounted shelf provides nearly the same isolation with much less hassle.

majick47

Turntable Isolation

As Steve said the way to go is with a wall shelf, I have three of them and NOTHING gets to my turntables. They occasionally show up on the Ebay and Audiogon.

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...able+isolation

i use a "floating" suspension system, as Scott had mentioned in this thread...
    here's a pic...

some other useful ideas in there also...

those Isonoe feet are reportedly superb...

these worked for me

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...5&postcount=27

and I do have an infrasonic filter on the preamp, but never noticed any difference.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Thread Information