Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DIY refoam - road to desaster?

Hell, in the day before I had a tone generator, I'd just connect my shop stereo amp leads right to the transducer, keeping the gain quite low. That way, you can still use the speaker cabinets for a candle wax catcher and drink coaster...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

"That way, you can still use the speaker cabinets for a candle wax catcher and drink"

My favorite was always the plant stand and " stick your finger in the cones" for the kiddies Right up there with pin the tail on the donkey!

Rob

Regis

Lest we forget...

The grills make great cat scratching posts and the dogs are very happy as well, with a lift of the leg!

delshadowrio
    Have you ever played darts wit a midget?

MM

Later on that evening (ten hours later) I demo'd them and the latest repaired woofer had total voice coil rub going on.
    Hi, can you actually hear that? Is there a way to test whether the voice coil is centred properly? I have a feeling one of my 2231H was not refoamed properly which caused the bass to be somewhat weaker than the other side. I have checked the cabinet they don't seem to be the problem. I also noticed the foam is not exactly concentric with the frame. But this could be due to manufacturing tolerances of the foam.

Thanks
    David

Originally posted by ngccglp
    ...can you actually hear that?
    Best way, is to remove the transducer, bench it, and sweep test it. Lower Hz will reveal if there's rubbin' going on. Too, over at Widget's one day, we could carefully press-in the cone and feel a rub, but this is not guaranteed that you're not pushing unevenly. Best is a bench test, in a quiet shop.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Thanks Bo.

Regis

You can hear it!

You can hear a voice coil rubbing. It sounds like a hollow grating noise that is different than the musical program you're playing. As you turn up the volume, it usually worsens and becomes a harsh buzz. That's my experience with it, others may have had different experiences with it. If it's very minor, you may have to hold your ear close to the woofer at a reasonable volume level and compare one speaker to another.

This is a little bit of a humorous-sounding solution, but believe me, it's worked...

Try taking the problem woofer out, rotating it 180 degrees (where the current top would be the bottom and vice versa) and bolting it back in. Let gravity work "with" you rather than "against" you, in essence.

It may actually take a little experimentation (rotating the woofer around and trying bolting it in in different positions radially), but I'll bet you can get it to work, without noises...

Regards,
    Gordon.

It may actually take a little experimentation (rotating the woofer around and trying bolting it in in different positions radially), but I'll bet you can get it to work, without noises...
    Interesting...Is there a certain preferred orientation of the woofer i.e. taking the two leads on the edge of the dust cap as reference, should they be up, down or side?

David

There's no "preferred" orientation, other than which ever way happens to make the voice coil NOT rub!

Really, it's kind of a kludge... but it may make the speaker usable. I've seen it work before...

Regards,
    Gordon.

Thumbs up Job done!

Hi gang,

Ok I bite the bullet over the weekend and did my refoaming. It took me about 8 hours over the course of several days.
    The result is beautiful and the sound is just astonishing. The low end is there now thanks to Rick's perfect foam and instructions.
    Thank you all for encouraging me on doing it, it's not difficult and patience is the key.

Fred.

Thumbs up Job done

Here's a picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Very nice work!!

Rob

My surround kit didn't come with one

Where can I get a 30 Hz test CD?

Thread Information