Thread: Jbl- L65a

Jbl- L65a

Is there a difference between the L65 and L65A?? Why is there such a difference in the original MSRP $396-$681. Is the L65A better or more rare

Passage of time

The newer model is more money because of inflation. I am sure you will find the list price of a 1960 paragon much less than a 1980 one. I am not sure if there was any difference in the components between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by infinityQ2 View Post
    Is there a difference between the L65 and L65A?? Why is there such a difference in the original MSRP $396-$681. Is the L65A better or more rare

They did make some minor changes such as a different driver layout, different woofer and possibly different crossover in the later L65. They also dropped the Jubal name on the later ones. I agree though that the increase in price was due to inflation or marketing.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by 4345 View Post
    The newer model is more money because of inflation. I am sure you will find the list price of a 1960 paragon much less than a 1980 one. I am not sure if there was any difference in the components between the two.
    That's 20 years, obviously inflation would be a factor. I'm talking about the MSRP when they first came out, the L65 and L65A were only 2-3 years apart, and almost double the price, just does't make sense...

During the same period the L200/L200B went from $657 to $1,107. According to the LH library, both the L200 and the L65 had a 47% price increase from 1976 to 1977, as did nearly every speaker in the JBL model lineup.

Differant driver configuration, XO, & differant woofer. I own the A version.
    J & G

tesla

I agree

And, to add confusion, there is a 'B' version. If memory serves, the different versions shared the tweeter(s) and mids, with the crossover and woofer changing each version. Oh, and the port, mid, and foilcap changing location. From what I've been told, the 'A' and 'B' versions sounding progressively better. I've got the 'A" version.

Quote Originally Posted by JANDG View Post
    Differant driver configuration, XO, & differant woofer. I own the A version.
    J & G

cobalt prices going through the roof about then might have had a role in the price increase

I'm just guessing, but here's a few notes:
    1. According to Giskard's retail price notes, the L-65 and variants went up in price approx 8% per year from 1974 to 1976, from $396ea to $462ea. His sheets show the price jumping to $681ea in 1977, then back to $625 ea in 1978 & 1979. I can't explain the blip and subsequent drop; maybe 1977 is an anomaly. However, if you look at the graph of inflation, the price increases were not unjustified.
    2. The biggest price change came in 1977, but if you look at the graph of Cobalt prices, they didn't skyrocket until 1978 - maybe JBL saw it coming and raised prices in advance, but that doesn't usually work.
    3. The only other notable event around 1977 was the sale of JBL to Beatrice foods after Sidney Harman took a position in President Carter's cabinet. As Beatrice had discussed a purchase with Dr. Harman over the previous few years, I don't believe a huge price raise would have been done to make profit margins look good before the sale. Maybe the price raise was done immediately following the sale to help Beatrice pay for the purchase? Sounds like private equity
    Name:  inflation.jpg
Views: 2470
Size:  59.3 KBName:  Cobalt.JPG
Views: 2414
Size:  32.1 KB
    That the internet contains a blog documenting your life does not constitute proof that your existence is valid. Sorry.

yeah... the cobalt thing was a WAG. Inflation and buyout makes more sense with that timing.

Thread Information