Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: altec 299-16a drivers unidentified horns/should I pull the trigger? Pic

I beleive you may have nailed the cabinet Goodwill HIFI
    http://cgi.ebay.com/JBL-4560-Bass-Bi...02115007r25002

The ad above somebody is selling the plans for that box and they have a picture of one done. It looks identical to me! GOOD CALL!!

....Thanks for your thoughts regarding the items. Now if I can just figure out what that mid bin is....although after reading the jbl 4560 is only going to go down to 60hz....SO I willl likely pass on the enclosure....I think?!!....

Here is another shot of the 4560... that has to be the same one....Seems to be for lower mid range....at least that is what I keep reading.

http://www.speakerplans.com/forum/fo....asp?TID=22698

Some people dont seem to have a high opinion of them..(from above link)..

Originally posted by jbl_man

Someone posted a photo of a big pile of these set alight for firewood,but cant seem to find it now?

Why am I not suprised? Running these for anything other than pure nostalgia is pointless.
    I can see why they ended up as firewood.

I'll get some photos up as asoon a possible.

MB

Most of the old horns are mid-bass as far as I know...... Even the Altec 210's.

I have zero experience with JBL cabinets, but I don't think $150 would be a bad price...... of course if you could get the price lower that would be even better. If you are already buying the HF horns, and the guy is really wanting to reclaim space you may be able to get them cheaper. Did the $150 cover the other cabinets, too?

Yeah I am completely new to this!! Yes the addtional 150 covers both sets. Thanks!!

So from what I am understanding the horn will cover down to 500hz....Is there a 15" that will cover up to 500hz and can be used in the 4560? Then I can do away with the 12" mid range and later make a nice subwoofer to cover below100 or 80hz. Is this even feasible?

Perhaps a 2205 would cover that area up to 500hz if my initial findings are correct? Anyone??

I just keep editing as I find more info......sorry! But I would still like some confirmation of my findings if any of you have the time. SO far the help has been tremendous. This place has been an amazing wealth of information well before I ever posted my first post. Let alone helping now with specific questions.

Found a page on the 2205 woofer. It states the highest you would want to cross it over is 800hz. SO this would fit the bill. I just wonder how it will work in the 4560 enclosure???? I am off to continue the search!

BigBusa
    I personally wouldn't buy the cabinets unless I had woofers to put in them and had use for them.

If you buy them thinking that you might be able to eventually sell them if you dont use them... it won't be easy!

You'll have to find a buyer that is semi local, willing to travel to pick them up AND who needs those particular GIGANTIC empty cabinets.

If you really want the horns and drivers... tell the seller that you will drive 7 hours round trip to pick them up if he throws the cabs in for free otherwise, you're not interested.

You're really doing the seller a favor by picking everything up. He now doesn't have to pack, transport and ship the horns/drivers. From a sellers perspective, that's a huge pain in the butt!

Make him jump through YOUR hoops... not the other way around

No at this moment I do not have the woofers but have a lead on some 2205s. Not even sure that is the way I would want to go. I have only refinished cabinets and have not built anything. However I am looking to change that in the near future. I think I would like to either use the horn/driver combo in a home theater setup.....Maybe 2 channel hifi....not sure yet. Either way I think I should probably look to construct my own cabinets to fit my needs and direction I want to go. Who knows how long it will be before I get around to getting anything done and those cabinets are freaking huge. Not sure I want to take on storing them in the mean time.

Maybe he will throw them in. If not I am not sweating it. I guess he built a box around the horns. It will at least protect them while I transport them....we'll see.

BigBusa
    You'll need a pretty big room to use those cabinets and horns in a home theater system. I bet they'll sound great though! Their size alone is intimidating. They're definately worth $150 just to see the looks on the faces of your guests when you show em your HT room!

Quote Originally Posted by BigBusa View Post
    You'll have to find a buyer that is semi local, willing to travel to pick them up AND who needs those particular GIGANTIC empty cabinets.
    Yes, they'd likely be a local pickup item, but I wouldn't call them gigantic........ They're only 36 in x 30 in x 23 7/8. I doubt it would be too hard to sell them on Ebay.

You're really doing the seller a favor by picking everything up. He now doesn't have to pack, transport and ship the horns/drivers. From a sellers perspective, that's a huge pain in the butt!

Make him jump through YOUR hoops... not the other way around
    I think that's a bit presumptuous on the shipping deal. He's offering them forsale, that's it, that's all we know. Saying that picking the stuff up is doing him a favor is plain ridiculous, if he has no intention of shipping...... you'd just be insulting him.

Sorry it has taken so long for me to get back with everyone. I lost out on the horns and drivers. I kinda got screwed by my job...more specifically the weather. I had to work 6 12hr minimum days. However I kept the seller in the loop and everything was agreed upon. I made it through the horrible work week and then a day before I am getting ready to head there I receive the email.

Oh well. I was pretty upset at first but now I have more money in my pocket from OT and lack of purchase. Just means I get to search for something else to drop some money on!! I will not have a hard time finding something I am sure.

Thanks for all your feedback guys. Maybe next time I will actually come through with the score!!

BigBusa
    Bummer. Sellers don't like to wait. I've found that ya gotta jump on it if you want the thing. And, even then... it's usually already sold or they're "holding" it for someone.

Yeah your right. I didnt want to wait....everyday that went by I was actually scared of this very thing happening. But with him being 3 hrs plus away and the storm hitting when it did. I had no choice but to be at work. And when your working 12-16hr days it is IMPOSSIBLE to fit a 6hr round trip in.

I am trying to stay positive though. I will hopefully win the next one.

Again thanks for all your input.

BigBusa
    the next one will be better!

Or maybe his buyer will fall through and he'll call you back.

Thread Information