Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Defect capacitor on JBL 4344 ??

Many thanks Ian
    Yes, my aim is to return the crossover to original factory condition without solder on any of the fastons.
    In this way, the filter could be removed easily from the cabinet; and I could bring the PCB to someone professional to test the capacitor.

I forgot to tell that only 7 of the 10 fastons were soldered. E1 and E2 are not soldered. It is strange.
    I have already looked under the PCB and all solders are normal, nicely done.
    Damien

it is a "7". Is too hot ?
    Sorry for the late, and out of order response...

a "7" is too hot for delicate component work and will cause
    the circuit board to blister and separate the traces/pads from
    the board -if not used very cautiously-. It is still useful in trained/
    experienced hands, but not a tool I'd recommend to a novice.

Today I did what I was not supposed to do. I tried to use a soldering iron.
    But don't be afraid, I tried 5 seconds on a part without risk and decided that it was definitively too risky for me.
    When looking in details the all filters from both speakers, I have found that other fastons were soldered in the other speaker (the one where there is no issue on capacitors). So, as a conclusion, if I want to remove the filters from the cabinets, I will need to disconnect all wires from all drivers and also remove the front L-pads. It is not a big deal, I will only need to remove the front plate (where 4344 is written).

Furthermore, I have received some more pieces of advice today. Even if the capacitor has gooped a little, there is a very low probability that he is damaged. When listening there is no noticeable difference (but I will do some more detailed tests). Ian and Chas first told me that but, as I am very maniac with my system, I wanted to be sure

So as conclusion, now I know that I will be able to replace the capacitor one day if needed and also the entire filters (when I will replace them by better ones) by simply removing all wires and front panel with L-pads.
    Speakers are working, so I'm going to spend more time doing what it should be done when you have the chance to have such great speakers: listen to music.
    Now, if one of you knows how to find other 3144/3145 networks so that I will be able to upgrade them with newer capacitors, it would be great.

Many thanks to all of you for your help !!
    Damien

Thanks for the update.

I am very busy with current projects and domestic issues so I would recommend you contact 4313B about new networks. (Please note that where such services are offered it is done in the spare time of the individual. Therefore anticipate that it may take longer to arrange than first expected).

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    Thanks for the update.
    Thanks to you Ian, you really helped me a lot.
    I have not finished yet as I probably will replace this capacitor, but I will only do that when I will replace the all filters by new ones.
    As the speakers seem to work fine, I will wait to find these other filters. When I will replace the old ones, I will have plenty of times to test this capacitor, just in case.
    Damien

Madien, you will likely have a great deal of trouble finding original JBL OEM networks.
    Greetings from Cuba!

This is turning into a FT job but the difference is dealing with someone as a polite as Madien3388 makes it very worthwhile.

Ian

Thread Information