Page 24 of 30 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL Synthesis - Something BIG is on its way...

Quote Originally Posted by Allanvh5150 View Post
    HDMI is on a lot of players but unfortunately everyone went with bluray. The disks are out there recorded in HD but good luck finding one.

Allan.
    WHAT?? - Is joke, right?

Anyway, HDMI is a kind of wire/cable, not a method of encoding discs.
    HDMI cables have nothing to do with the Bluray disc standard, or
    the passed-over HD disc standard - tho such players may use that standard to connect to TV or external devices.

Please read - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

HDMI (High-Definition Multimedia Interface) is a compact audio/video interface for transmitting uncompressed digital data.[1] It represents a digital alternative to consumer analog standards such as Radio Frequency (RF) coaxial cable, composite video, S-Video, SCART, component video, D-Terminal, and VGA. HDMI connects digital audio/video sources such as set-top boxes, Blu-ray Disc players, personal computers (PCs), video game consoles (such as the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360), and AV receivers to compatible digital audio devices, computer monitors, and digital televisions.[1]

HDMI supports, on a single cable, any TV or PC video format, including standard, enhanced, and high-definition video, up to 8 channels of digital audio, and a Consumer Electronics Control (CEC) connection. The CEC allows HDMI devices to control each other when necessary, and allows the user to operate multiple devices with one remote control handset.[2] Because HDMI is electrically compatible with the signals used by Digital Visual Interface (DVI), no signal conversion needs to take place nor is there a loss of video quality when a DVI to HDMI adapter is used.[3] As an uncompressed connection, HDMI is independent of the various digital television standards used by individual devices such as ATSC and DVB as these are encapsulations of compressed MPEG video streams (which can be decoded and output as an uncompressed video stream on HDMI).

HDMI products started shipping in autumn 2003.[4] Over 850 Consumer Electronics (CE) and PC companies have adopted the HDMI specification (HDMI Adopters).[5][6][7] In Europe, either DVI-HDCP or HDMI is included in the HD ready in-store labelling specification for TV sets for HDTV, formulated by EICTA with SES Astra in 2005. HDMI began to appear on consumer HDTV camcorders and digital still cameras in 2006.[8][9][10][11][12] Shipments of HDMI are expected to exceed that of DVI in 2008, driven primarily by the CE market.[13][14]
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    WHAT?? - Is joke, right?
    I thought it was a typo... HDCD, not HDMI.

Widget

Sorry Dome... way off topic. But then the Something Big has already Arrived!

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    No, HDCD is something else.
    Well, we could continue to speculate on what he meant... it is safe to say he wasn't talking about cabling.

As for HDCD, yes, they will play on any CD player but you need one with the HDCD chip set and a quality analog section to really notice any real improvement. Unfortunately much like the demise of SACD, without a solid base of quality players out there these formats have languished.

On a side note, I thought it was odd that Microsoft bought HDCD and Pacific Microsonics. I don't think of Microsoft as an audiophile brand.

Widget

Red face Also sorry for the OT post

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Unfortunately much like the demise of SACD, without a solid base of quality players out there these formats have languished.
    I had not had an HDCD capable player since my second H/K unit died a few years back , but the new Rotel player I replaced my Denon with is capable, and honestly, I'm surprised at how many titles are in the format. That little red HDCD light pops on far more frequently than I expected, even on some discs where there is no indication on the packaging or disc itself that it actually is an HDCD.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    On a side note, I thought it was odd that Microsoft bought HDCD and Pacific Microsonics. I don't think of Microsoft as an audiophile brand.
    I did as well, especially when they introduced HDCD decoding into Media Player a few versions ago. This press release sheds a little light on their intentions when they initially acquired Pacific Microsonics.

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/p...t00/pmipr.mspx

Quote Originally Posted by Allanvh5150 View Post
    HDMI is on a lot of players but unfortunately evryone went with bluray. The disks are out there recorded in HD but good luck finding one.

Allan.
    Everyone went with bluray? Hardly, bluray is still a nich market. Still way behind the total number of DVD players sold. Which was the fastest selling format of all time.
    As for HDCD, DVD-A, SACD, they are also only nich markets, unfortunatly.

And HDMI, has been pretty much a total failure, to date. The one connection for all systems that has so many bugs and updates its a joke. Until they get it right, I'll stick to what I've already got.
    Living in the Land of the Sun

Quote Originally Posted by jblsound View Post
    ... bluray is still a nich market.
    Really? Every time I am in the market the storage rack has grown, there are quite a lot of BR discs right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoerninger View Post
    Really? Every time I am in the market the storage rack has grown, there are quite a lot of BR discs right now.
    Living in the Land of the Sun

Quote Originally Posted by jblsound View Post
    Growing larger doesn't mean its surpassed DVDs in total sales. I still don't have a bluray, for one.
    I never talked about surpassing, but it is more than a nich right here north of Hamburg, Germany.

I would only buy a certain BR player due to its sonic qualities compared to my actual DVD player.

Mike Ronesia
    I agree BlueRay has not caught up to DVDs but it is far bigger then niche if you ask me. We use Netflix and 95% of all the movies we get come in BD format. That includes older movies as well. A lot of the older movies are not HD quality and look like they were just transfered over but some have been remastered and look very good. I think it will be around until they increase the video resolution again.

Why speculate?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBrewster77 View Post
    Why speculate?
    What about region B and C?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoerninger View Post
    What about region B and C?
    Touché - Damned Americentrism!!!

In all how many this all take to perform?
    One person, two computers, two specialized hardware test boxes, an
    ethernet hub, five microphones, and a few other bits and cables. The
    rest of the people are there to enjoy the blinking lights, add bodies to
    the seating area (changes the room slightly), and to witness the result
    (my personal favorite).

Hope that answers your question.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    The rest of the people are there to enjoy the blinking lights, add bodies to
    the seating area (changes the room slightly), and to witness the result
    (my personal favorite).

Hope that answers your question.
    Hey, we also lugged cases, rolled cables, plugged in mics, and did other nonessential work!
    Out.

I stand, corrected. Lugging cases was my 2nd favorite.

Thread Information